Close

Thread: 2 Channel amp

Default 2 Channel amp

I somehow made a mistake and ordered JBL GTR-10 which is a 2 channel amp. Ordered and received this several months ago and just opened and realized mistake. I claim to be no stereo guru so what are y'alls thoughts on wiring 4 speakers. 2 in the back dash and 2 in the front...factory locations. Read a bit online about parallel and series wiring. Also read some stuff that said do not do it. I am not looking for competition sound. What should I do?

Dash speakers with high pass capacitors on deck power

rear full range on amp

Quote Originally Posted by jazdill View Post
    I somehow made a mistake and ordered JBL GTR-10 which is a 2 channel amp. Ordered and received this several months ago and just opened and realized mistake. I claim to be no stereo guru so what are y'alls thoughts on wiring 4 speakers. 2 in the back dash and 2 in the front...factory locations. Read a bit online about parallel and series wiring. Also read some stuff that said do not do it. I am not looking for competition sound. What should I do?
    GTR-10? Cant seem to find this part number. What head are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by 86fox4eye View Post
    gtr-10? Cant seem to find this part number. What head are you using?

gtr-102

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Dash speakers with high pass capacitors on deck power

rear full range on amp
    Bluetooth amp no head unit

Quote Originally Posted by jazdill View Post
    Bluetooth amp no head unit
    Not sure how you want to set this up but you have a few options. That amp will drive a 2 Ohm load so 2 pairs of 4 Ohm speakers in parallel are fine as long as you get the gains set correctly. The issue with this type of set-up is that you have no balance capability between the front and rear speakers. Big problem. You could add a passive volume control to the front speaker outputs to defeat the signal variably. That would work and you could bury it once you get it set so it is hidden.

Not sure what you are doing for speakers.

Another option would be to just mount a pair of 6.5 coaxials up front and ditch the rear. Mounted down low in the kicks or the front of the doors they tend to image better than the dash speakers anyway. Not always but most of the time.

Matthew

2ch instead of 4ch amp 'mistake'?

Sound will not be as full amping only one pair of speakers, be it front or rear.
    No real way to adjust unamped speaker pair sound level to amped speaker pair level.

Options:
    A- Get another GTR-102 for the front speakers. Seen for 130.00. One for front speakers, one for rears.
    Using exact same two amps functions basically the same as 4 ch version of 2ch amp except more wiring, space needed.

B- Add another JBL 2ch amp, like a basic A6002 for 75.00.
    Would work powering the front speakers and with the GTR-102 powering the rear ones.
    https://www.jbl.com/car-amplifiers/

C- Add external fader if using existing #102 to power four speakers from two channels.
    Radio balance will work. No radio fader function when using 2 ch amp to power 4 speakers.

D- Sell it and buy a 4 ch. Seen GTR-104 for 250.00, A6004 is 113.00 on JBL site.

Speaker wiring:
    Wiring 4 speakers to a 2 ch amp. Can do parallel or series. Depends on speaker and amp ohm rating.
    Basically, if all 4 speakers are 2 or 4 ohm, 2 ch amp won't like connecting all 4 + and all - together.

Thanks for the post! Looking at a JBL Stage A6004 for the truck.
    Last edited by gr79; 12-02-2018 at 09:27 PM.