Close

Default Amazon KingCobraClutchKit

https://www.amazon.com/KING-COBRA-CL.../dp/B06XZK9VLK

$99 dollar kit from amazon anybody tried this kit?

Looks like a pretty decent kit

same manufacturer as the original king cobra HD clutch too.

Worth a try imo

I dunno. It's a no name with no reviews. In the same listing under similar parts, theres a Valeo, which looks like the same picture, but at least Valeo is a name brand. It's $129. You might look at LMR or CJ Pony parts. You can check out reviews on what they sell.

I guess it also depends on how hard you find a clutch to replace. If you're not worried about it, go for it.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Looked like the description for this kit is also Valeo unless I misread

Valeo made the kits for Ford Racing originally

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    I dunno. It's a no name with no reviews. In the same listing under similar parts, theres a Valeo, which looks like the same picture, but at least Valeo is a name brand. It's $129. You might look at LMR or CJ Pony parts. You can check out reviews on what they sell.

I guess it also depends on how hard you find a clutch to replace. If you're not worried about it, go for it.
    I looked at that one too. It's an 11", not a 10.5. IF it is in fact a KC package, it's the same one I run in the Cougar. Great manners.
    84 Cougar, 90 HO with 700DP, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1.7 RRs, shorty's and SS exh, T-5, KC clutch, Hurst pro billet, line loc, 8.8, 4.10s, suspension mods....blah, blah,blah.

71 Comet, 289, Liberty TL, 9", 6.00s, 11.9x @ 112.... blah, blah, blah.

According to this site this is the most up to date king cobra kit out there. https://www.themustangshop.ca/product/304726/658672

If you look down at the model number you can find that same one on rock auto. For half the price. Dont know if it's actually a king cobra it it's the closest I've got to figuring it out.
    Attachment 125311
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Valeo is the original manufacturer of the King Cobra clutch so this one at Rock Auto should be it. I did the same when replacing my clutch on my New Edge; cross referenced a Cobra clutch to a Valeo and purchased from Rock Auto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

have not order my new clutch kit or flywheel yet but have purchased something a little more fun to talk about.... A Tremec 1352 251

Name:  t5.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  37.3 KB

That is an aftermarket version of the T5 built with T5Z specs.

2.95 ratio 1st gear
    1.94 ratio 2nd gear
    1.34 ratio 3rd gear
    1:1 ratio 4th gear
    0.63 ratio 5th gear
    7 tooth speedometer gear
    7.18 length input shaft (foxbody)
    0.668 diameter pilot bearing needed (foxbody V
    cobra tapered bearing

Some articles say it has a 1.1:1 4th gear but I believe that’s a typo because 4th is formed by locking together input and output shafts — it’s not a gear per say

My son’s 86GT has a FMS-7003 which is basically the same transmission. ( reverse is not synchronized on the early Z spec trans)

My 86GT has a correct 1352-169 that was completely gutted and converted to T5Z gears and misc parts

My 85GT has a 1352-169 that was gutted and received a midplate brace along with Gforce internals. The gear ratios are basically the same as the Z except I ordered overdrive to go long at 0.59:1 so my final drive with 3.55’s would match what the car originally saw with 3.08 and 0.68 OD but gears 1-4 were nice and low and close together

Each of my transmissions have a one piece Astro Performance steel bearing retainer. They make a huge difference on actual strength of the gearbox and I recommend them.

You can well imagine the pounding endured by my son’s car being a 17 year old high school kid when he got it and knocking out his first clutch in around 12K miles.

That’s probably nothing compared to what the one in my 86GT has endured. I’m drive the holy hell out of that car. If someone stole it they would give the car a well deserved break with their inexperienced beatings.

My favorite is power shifting at 6100. On a good day I find the next gear before the 6250 rev limiter, on a bad day I find the gear eventually.

What you should expect is a noticeably longer legged 5th gear, a noticeably higher 1st gear that requires more clutch to start off with, and gears that are stair stepped evenly 1-4 before you hit 5th and your rpm drops by 37%.

If you swap to a lighter flywheel you will likely notice NO slowdown in how fast your car builds RPM in 1st. My son’s car has a 2.73 rear gear and we swapped to a 22lb 157 tooth 10.5” clutch spec duralast flywheel along with a HD zoom clutch kit that also tips the scales at a much lighter weight than stock.

The car runs out 1st just as fast as before, if not faster. And now it’s going 10 mph faster at the end of the gear. A great upgrade for sure

My 86GT also has that flywheel and 2.73’s. It has go fast parts like an intake and cam and headers but is still running E6 heads. It does 0-60 pulls entirely in 1st gear and completes them in around 4.5 seconds if I’m on the stick when leaving and don’t bog it.

My 85 will be a horse of a different color. It’s an 85 Saleen clone. The car is receiving a built dart 353 4.155 bore and 3.25” stroke 8.2 deck shortblock with Edelbrock parts on top and an FTI cam. It should make around 480 HP and 500 ft lbs at the crank once the engine is assembled, give or take.

sweet. I have a t5 out of a 93 low mileage car setting in the corner of shop in case I ever get the urge for a5 upgrades. Hopefully my 86' build stays on coarse and never has the power for said upgrades....racing is what my 90' is for and powerglides go faster. Hopefully the Tremec unit i purchased is more than enough for my 86'

made some more purchases today to go with the Tremec
    bell housing e6zr-6394-aa
    LuK LFW112 Flywheel
    KingCobra clutch kit "Valeo 52672002"
    FC65174 Pilot Bearing
    National 614014 Clutch Release Bearing
    Still need to order flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts, trans to bellhousing bolts, clutch fork, piviot ball, trans crossmember mount, fluid and the MaximumMotorsports Clutch Cable, Quadrant, and Firewall Adjuster Package.

I also have not decided on which shifter to go with.

sure as usual i am forgetting some parts also.

I currently have 3.27 gears in the ass of my 86' i figure to change them out to a 3.73 with the .063 5th gear I would think that would still cruise 80 down the interstate comfortably.
    Last edited by jazdill; 02-16-2019 at 08:16 PM.

Don't forget the press in pins that go into the flywheel to locate the pressure plate.
    84 Cougar, 90 HO with 700DP, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1.7 RRs, shorty's and SS exh, T-5, KC clutch, Hurst pro billet, line loc, 8.8, 4.10s, suspension mods....blah, blah,blah.

71 Comet, 289, Liberty TL, 9", 6.00s, 11.9x @ 112.... blah, blah, blah.

Quote Originally Posted by quickshift View Post
    Don't forget the press in pins that go into the flywheel to locate the pressure plate.
    yes sir thx

I assume by your remark they are not included with the new flywheel....damn chinese!!

Quote Originally Posted by jazdill View Post
    yes sir thx

I assume by your remark they are not included with the new flywheel....damn chinese!!
    Check and see what the dowel pins looks like. We pulled my sons clutch and flywheel and the locating dowel pins where a lot smaller then usual. It took me 2 days to locate them from a local ford dealer. It's getting harder to find oem parts locally in stock.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

I’ve had to buy a flywheel to get pins before. Was PISSED about it, but the second flywheel was eventually put to use in my son’s 86GT as his pins were ok but his flywheel was of the 30 lb variety I try to avoid running these days. Way more force exerted on the T5 during spirited shifts when 30 lbs is spinning at 5500 vs 22 lbs.

Parts for older cars from dealer are usually small, good sellers, sourced from warehouses.
    Dealer supplying all parts for all years is like making one baseball player cover all 9 positions.
    Parts departments and district whses use space to stock important current or past items that sell well.
    Do not focus on stocking many old popular or any dead items. Space is money. Shelves are 'real estate'.
    Dealer ball game is manage, play catch, sell souvenirs, collect money. Most do not sell bleacher tickets.

Hard to find a lot of positively correct parts in aftermarket too.
    Important application details getting lost in the transition, planned or missed. Low volume parts are ignored.
    The translation from oe part number to aftermarket is not direct or even accurate half the time.
    Aftermarket likes to design and sell generic-like parts to cover more years with one part.
    Similar to all the extra holes in engine bays. Not all get used but are there.

I agree on the dealers not stocking much do to space, but small items like dowel pins and ceratin fasteners should be stocked. The problem is Fords bean counters keep switching vendors every other week. That's my opinion though
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

I do not see dowel pins being a issue as long as there is a such thing as mills and lathes

As long as Ford does not obsolete a part, dealer can stock, check and order from another dealer, or distribution center.
    It is up to the management, whether chain or independently owned. Ford may require them to stock certain parts.
    Parts catalogs only go back so far. Many do not have any way to look up old parts easily. Some try hard, some don't care to.
    As obsolete nos dries up, aftermarket has to pick up the slack. Transition of a part to aftermarket can be immediate or never.

Must follow Ford rules to have privileged data access and training, but are not an official factory or Ford division extension.
    Some are strong on truck parts, others performance, most are regular hit or miss. They may get parts from local parts stores.
    Dealers focus on later model maintenance, wear, recall, warranty, collision parts, plus batteries, tires, spark plugs, starters, filters.
    They really do not like to stock common parts available anywhere. Customary dealer markup can make them noncompetitive.
    Each dealer has their own pricing markup charts. Cost, resale, internal, retail, customer discount specials. What they charge is their call.
    When they do parts inventory, parts that collect dust are sold off for pennies on a dollar to make room for something else. Parts managers do not like to do that with a passion. Pisses them off.

OK to try dealer first. Got a new Motorcraft ignition switch for my 79 while back at a great price. Part still had a current valid listing.
    Last edited by gr79; 02-19-2019 at 07:15 PM.