Close

Default Drag Springs for Convt

Hi

I have been looking to update my springs to drag springs on my Convt and not having any luck. Only really able to find progressive springs which I already have. Checked with Team Z, Steeda, LMR, AM, BMR, MM etc... not much luck.

Does anyone know what spring rates should be used for up front and the rear? Or a brand and part #?

Info on my car

85 GT Convertible
    8.8 Rear 373 gears 5 Spd
    Strange shocks and struts, Bilstein quads
    Steeda UCA and LCA, sway bars
    17" Pony Wheels

I do not want to go more than 1.2 drop. My car is a weekend driver with occasional drag racing. Thanks for your help.

John

A lot of guys have great luck with 4cly springs in the rear

A double adjustable shock and struck package should do it from there.

In the 60’s and 70’s drag guys would run balljoint extensions and longer shocks on the front to help control weight transfer

some guys have bolted in caster/camber plates from the bottom with the same type of idea in mind.....

1000’s of approaches that work. The best stuff costs money. Torque arms, multi-hole torque boxes, adjustable rear control arms, etc

Thanks for the advice.

Would have to know a lot about the beast your blasting off with to give better advise.

Here is an overview

340 hp ford crate motor with 650 edelbrock carb, ford aluminum head and ford ceramic coated headers.
    Ford aluminum driver shaft
    Upgraded world class t5 manual with 373
    Going with strange 10 way adjustable struts and shocks
    Billstein quad shocks
    Steeds fixed upper and lower control arms and sway bars
    8.8 rear with 373 gears upgraded clutch. Can't remember the size
    17 in ponies with 255 in rear
    2.5 hpipe with 40 series flow masters
    4 lug stock axles
    Subframe connectors
    Under drive pulleys

It runs really well for the street. Been able to beat gt's thru 2010 and Camero's from same generation. Actually getting good traction off the line but wanting to push it some more especially at the track. Outside looks completely stock. It's supper clean and have won many awards with it. Even my engine compartment looks factory. Everything still works!

Not sure what else you need to know. I don't want it to look like a gasser or another butchered foxbody drag car. Handling is not over critical for me. Just looking for better weight transfer. All the drag springs I have found say weight limits under 3100 lbs. my sb somewhere around 3400.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

John

I would add the Strange struts and shocks before doing the springs. I think that you will see more gain from those than the springs, especially for a dual purpose vehicle. Drag radials would be a good addition too.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

I tend to think a rear rim as small diameter as possible with as much sidewall and contact patch as possible.

Also of course disconnecting front swaybar, etc