Close

Default wheel choices for SVO brake set up

OK I thought I would venture here to see if I can get the opinions of the SVO gurus on my wheel dilemma here. I have recently purchased this wheel kit from LMR. I have an 82 GT that has a complete 4 wheel disc brake upgrade exactly like the SVO.

https://lmr.com/item/SVE-1007AABK/19...17X9-And-17X10

I have got 275/40/17 tires in the back and 245/45/17 tires with 1/4 inch Maximum Motorsports spacers in the front. The front wheels/tires fit fine whereas the back wheels/tires are sticking out too much due to the longer axles from the SVO brake kit.

Jason from LMR said I need to change out my rear brakes or find a wheel with an offset similar to what one would find on the S197 Mustangs to make the rears fit.

I have posted my dilemma in another part of the forum and have gotten some good info but I thought I would post here as well since this is the SVO section. Here is a link to the other thread.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...72#post1896272

I did find some 18 x 10 bullitt wheels at AM for the rear with a +45mm offset which would definitely bring the rear wheels in. However it seems like the front wheels may not fit due to the "center cap" issue with the SVO brakes. I am wondering if any of you SVO gurus have any suggestions here?
    Current Mustangs:
    82 Silver GT - 5.0L crate motor, Tremec 3550 5 spd tranny, SVO brake kit, 8.8 rear end with 373s
    05 Legend Lime Fastback - some mods
    05 Screaming Yellow Vert - even more mods including Edelbrock blower

The front fitment issue for any of the small center cap wheels will be the snout on the spindle same for both the SVO and the normal Fox spindle. All of the small center cap wheels were originally designed for the SN95 spindle which doesn't have the extended snout. In my experience depending on the wheel size, manufacturer, and offset some times they will just fit and sometimes they don't fit at all. Every aftermarket version is a bit different some have larger center bores in the wheel than others. I had one set of Cobra R's that would not even seat against the hub of the rotor because the inside of the center bore was too small and hung up on the snout. I know some have made spacers to get the center caps to fit and work. Others run a spacer behind the wheel in the front to gain additional clearance (obviously can affect wheel fitment), and some have even machined down the front rotors both on the snout and the end of the snout for additional clearance. Some even run without the dust cap to make it all work. Unfortunately there's no absolute unless someone has the exact wheels by the exact manufacturer you are considering to verify if they will fit your setup.

In regards to the rear setup. I have the SVO rear axle in my 85 Road Racer, but I am running 17X9 Cobra R's and not the 17X10 you want. That car will get fender flares eventually to run the larger wheels, but mine are the older 17X10.5's actually. Right now I have a 36mm offset with the 17X9 and they fit just fine. You would have to do the math to verify if the 45mm offset of the 10" will be enough for your setup or not.

No guarantees, but in many cases if you look at wheels that don't have the exposed lug nuts, you may find a set that works better for your SVO system. That will require you most likely go outside the standard Mustang Vendors and just start looking at wheel brands and options. You can easily do a search on Ebay for the bolt pattern and sizes you want and then check the available offsets, etc. Finding wheels with large offsets is pretty easy today since most cars use the positive offset setups. The issue for me is finding the sizes I want with the right offset. You may have to compromise a bit depending on what wheels you choose and run a spacer front or rear to gain the clearance needed and get the right fit. It can be done, but not sure you are going to find a simple solution due to the unique issues with the SVO setup and your desires to run the 10" rear wheels. Good luck!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 11-28-2018 at 09:38 AM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

If you own the wheels for the rear, another option is to "Flip" the rear SVO brakes and use a fox length axle.

My Capri came to me with 100% SVO suspension and Brakes. Over the years, I removed most everything SVO, but have kept the rear brakes to this day.

The "flip" process was detailed on one of the brake sites out there some time ago. Basically you move the brackets from side to side and bolt them up. Here is the trick, you need to bolt the intermediate brackets to the main brackets, weld the bolts in place, then grind down the heads. The brakes then assemble like stock, just moved in to normal FOX width, uses normal fox offset wheels, etc ... just costs you a set of axles.

I'm far away from stock type axles now, but still run the SVO brakes with 40 spline axles and 5/8" studs. It solves the wheel issue forever
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

Picture of SVO brakes flipped on my Capri

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...pseri2uhho.jpg
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The front fitment issue for any of the small center cap wheels will be the snout on the spindle same for both the SVO and the normal Fox spindle. All of the small center cap wheels were originally designed for the SN95 spindle which doesn't have the extended snout. In my experience depending on the wheel size, manufacturer, and offset some times they will just fit and sometimes they don't fit at all. Every aftermarket version is a bit different some have larger center bores in the wheel than others. I had one set of Cobra R's that would not even seat against the hub of the rotor because the inside of the center bore was too small and hung up on the snout. I know some have made spacers to get the center caps to fit and work. Others run a spacer behind the wheel in the front to gain additional clearance (obviously can affect wheel fitment), and some have even machined down the front rotors both on the snout and the end of the snout for additional clearance. Some even run without the dust cap to make it all work. Unfortunately there's no absolute unless someone has the exact wheels by the exact manufacturer you are considering to verify if they will fit your setup.

In regards to the rear setup. I have the SVO rear axle in my 85 Road Racer, but I am running 17X9 Cobra R's and not the 17X10 you want. That car will get fender flares eventually to run the larger wheels, but mine are the older 17X10.5's actually. Right now I have a 36mm offset with the 17X9 and they fit just fine. You would have to do the math to verify if the 45mm offset of the 10" will be enough for your setup or not.

No guarantees, but in many cases if you look at wheels that don't have the exposed lug nuts, you may find a set that works better for your SVO system. That will require you most likely go outside the standard Mustang Vendors and just start looking at wheel brands and options. You can easily do a search on Ebay for the bolt pattern and sizes you want and then check the available offsets, etc. Finding wheels with large offsets is pretty easy today since most cars use the positive offset setups. The issue for me is finding the sizes I want with the right offset. You may have to compromise a bit depending on what wheels you choose and run a spacer front or rear to gain the clearance needed and get the right fit. It can be done, but not sure you are going to find a simple solution due to the unique issues with the SVO setup and your desires to run the 10" rear wheels. Good luck!
    Thanks so much for the detailed reply. What would be considered a small center cap wheel? What size center cap would this be? The 17 x 9 +24mm 10th Anniversary wheel from LMR fits perfectly fine in the front right now

I was just looking at an American Racing Torque Thrust wheel that is 18 x 8 with zero offset and has a bore of 72.60. Do you think this will fit? Does the bore number help with center cap fitment?
    Current Mustangs:
    82 Silver GT - 5.0L crate motor, Tremec 3550 5 spd tranny, SVO brake kit, 8.8 rear end with 373s

Quote Originally Posted by martin0660 View Post
    Picture of SVO brakes flipped on my Capri

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...pseri2uhho.jpg
    Thanks I will keep this in my mind but this may be more involved than I would it to be.
    Current Mustangs:

Quote Originally Posted by 5pointoh View Post
    Thanks so much for the detailed reply. What would be considered a small center cap wheel? What size center cap would this be? The 17 x 9 +24mm 10th Anniversary wheel from LMR fits perfectly fine in the front right now

I was just looking at an American Racing Torque Thrust wheel that is 18 x 8 with zero offset and has a bore of 72.60. Do you think this will fit? Does the bore number help with center cap fitment?
    Wheels such as the 10th Anny, Cobra R, 98 Cobra, 2000 Cobra R, FR500, Bullitt, and others are considered small center cap wheels. All have exposed lug nuts with the small center cap to cover the center bore/dust cap. Some of these wheels fit again depending on manufacturer, offset, etc. If your's fit then you are Golden!

As already stated above, the flipped SVO brackets may be the simplest and easiest solution to your issues. If you like the current wheels, you have already spent the $$ on wheels and tires, so other than a set of axles this is an easy an cost effective solution that IMHO is the simplest option. If you choose to start making changes to your rear brakes, you will have to make many changes that will all add up.

If you swap from the SVO rear calipers, you will need to swap out the front SVO calipers at a minimum as there is NO way to balance the brake system out without using the SVO sized calipers front and rear. That means at least going to the stock 60mm calipers up front or swapping to SN95 or something aftermarket.

If using the Turbo coupe rear calipers, I am not 100% as I have never touched them, but I believe you will need new E brake cables, plus any other changes in addition to the correct length axles, brackets, etc.

If swapping to the SN95 rear calipers pretty much the same as above, so unless you pick the parts up super cheap you are still going to be spending the same basic $$ as above and again, unless you do the North Race car brackets/similar or the bracket flip you will only gain a small change in overall track width which is probably not enough to fit the rear 10" wheels properly.

I have a feeling that either way you go will be an involved project and ultimately it will come down to total cost and braking performance/desires. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Wheels such as the 10th Anny, Cobra R, 98 Cobra, 2000 Cobra R, FR500, Bullitt, and others are considered small center cap wheels. All have exposed lug nuts with the small center cap to cover the center bore/dust cap. Some of these wheels fit again depending on manufacturer, offset, etc. If your's fit then you are Golden!

As already stated above, the flipped SVO brackets may be the simplest and easiest solution to your issues. If you like the current wheels, you have already spent the $$ on wheels and tires, so other than a set of axles this is an easy an cost effective solution that IMHO is the simplest option. If you choose to start making changes to your rear brakes, you will have to make many changes that will all add up.

If you swap from the SVO rear calipers, you will need to swap out the front SVO calipers at a minimum as there is NO way to balance the brake system out without using the SVO sized calipers front and rear. That means at least going to the stock 60mm calipers up front or swapping to SN95 or something aftermarket.

If using the Turbo coupe rear calipers, I am not 100% as I have never touched them, but I believe you will need new E brake cables, plus any other changes in addition to the correct length axles, brackets, etc.

If swapping to the SN95 rear calipers pretty much the same as above, so unless you pick the parts up super cheap you are still going to be spending the same basic $$ as above and again, unless you do the North Race car brackets/similar or the bracket flip you will only gain a small change in overall track width which is probably not enough to fit the rear 10" wheels properly.

I have a feeling that either way you go will be an involved project and ultimately it will come down to total cost and braking performance/desires. Good Luck!

I will consider flipping the bracket as that sounds like it will be relatively low cost. Changing the brake system would cost me too much as I would want to go with the Cobra brake kit upgrade.

Do you know if the bore measurement will help determine the fitment of the centercap? The American Racing wheel I am looking at has a bore of 72.60.
    Current Mustangs:

Quote Originally Posted by martin0660 View Post
    The "flip" process was detailed on one of the brake sites out there some time ago. Basically you move the brackets from side to side and bolt them up. Here is the trick, you need to bolt the intermediate brackets to the main brackets, weld the bolts in place, then grind down the heads. The brakes then assemble like stock, just moved in to normal FOX width, uses normal fox offset wheels, etc ... just costs you a set of axles.
    Do you know where I can find more information about this flip process? Is there a link/site you can refer me to for some sort of write up?
    Current Mustangs:

Quote Originally Posted by 5pointoh View Post
    I will consider flipping the bracket as that sounds like it will be relatively low cost. Changing the brake system would cost me too much as I would want to go with the Cobra brake kit upgrade.

Do you know if the bore measurement will help determine the fitment of the centercap? The American Racing wheel I am looking at has a bore of 72.60.
    Why not measure your current setup and see how it compares to the 72.60 measurement? That will maybe help, but I won't guarantee that it will confirm fitment.

It might be worth seeing if a local whee/tire shop can order in one of the American Racing wheels you are considering. Test fit the wheel to the vehicle without mounting a tire on it. If it clears the front snout and dust shield then you are good to go. If not, you shouldn't be out any $$ and they can send the wheel back. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Why not measure your current setup and see how it compares to the 72.60 measurement? That will maybe help, but I won't guarantee that it will confirm fitment.

It might be worth seeing if a local whee/tire shop can order in one of the American Racing wheels you are considering. Test fit the wheel to the vehicle without mounting a tire on it. If it clears the front snout and dust shield then you are good to go. If not, you shouldn't be out any $$ and they can send the wheel back. Good Luck!
    These damn SVO brakes have so many limitations. I think for now I have decided I will keep the 17 x 10 Annys and go for the drag car/ghetto look in the back lol I tried putting the 17 x 9 in the back but it just does not do it for me. The car looks very plain.

The flipping the bracket thing sounds too complicated for me but I will keep it in mind and show it to the auto tech that I normally deal with on mods that are beyond my abilities to carry out.

Thanks again everyone for their input. I am learning a lot from everyone about my fox.
    Current Mustangs: