Close

Default door trunk and ignition cylinders

Anyone know where we can get several matched set key cylinders for several cars? between my son and I we have five 4 eyes. sure would be nice to have same set of keys work all the cars instead of 5 different sets.
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

I had a locksmith rekey some but I took the cylinders to them. Wasn't extremely expensive, but I imagine 5 of them would get pricey. There's also some good YouTube videos that show you how to do it. The set I had rekeyed, I purchased from Ebay. They were nos cylinders. If you already have working keys, they should just be able to use the originals.

I got some pushback from locksmiths about doing this with no explanation. My guess is, it has something to do with legal issues with car theft.

I did the rekeying I needed done myself. It's not so bad if you keep careful track of where the tumblers go. What you want to do sounds complicated though. You'd almost have to buy a bunch of tumblers and then make a bunch of matching sets. It's possible... Or maybe you'll have better luck with locksmiths than I did.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Strange. I couldn't count the number of times I've take an early ignition switch, a door lock, or even an entire steering column to a locksmith and had a key made without question.

Mike

I had to have mine rekeyed with new cylinders because my 86 coupe was purchased from my brother-in-law. He had owned the car for years, but when he divorced his first wife, she claimed the keys and title went missing. He also had an 82gt and 88gt. I now own all 3. His mustang hobby was part of the reason they split. I guess it put a bad taste in both their mouths, because he's a Subaru guy now and rides a crotch rocket.

The simplest solution that won't raise any issues with a Locksmith would be to buy a new set of door & ignition and hatch/trunk lock cylinders and use them as your new Keys for the fleet since they will be fresh and clean with no wear issues. Swap the new set into one of your vehicles Take the used set of cylinders to your local locksmith and have them rekey the old sets to the new keys. Swap those into one of the other cars in the fleet and repeat until all the cars are matched to the single pair of keys.

Just keep in mind that if you do decide to sell any of your Four Eyes at a later date, you will either be providing the new owner with access to all your other cars or you will need to rekey the car before selling.

I personally have 9 Foxes, so I understand the desires for one set of keys, but rather than that, I just have a lockable key box with all my key sets in the garage with all the keys labeled for every vehicle. Not as easy as just having one set, but it works well and is easy to do. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Just keep in mind that if you do decide to sell any of your Four Eyes at a later date, you will either be providing the new owner with access to all your other cars
    Hahaha!

The key to my '79 Ghia used to work in my friend's '86 LX. Sometimes he'd come into work, look out the window, and then see his car driving away.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Hahaha!

The key to my '79 Ghia used to work in my friend's '86 LX. Sometimes he'd come into work, look out the window, and then see his car driving away.
    LOL I can see myself doing that. Would love to have seen his reaction!

Quote Originally Posted by saleen428 View Post
    LOL I can see myself doing that. Would love to have seen his reaction!
    Haha, luckily for him, our round keys were not the same, so all he had to do to put me out of business was lock the doors.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST