Close

Default 351W swap headers question

Need some help on deciding on long tube headers for my 84. Looking for 3 inch collector and something that will fit easily in with upr k member, afr 205 rengade heads and c4 trans. Car is almost out of paint and putting motor in soon. Thanks appreciate the help!

I am no expert on the 351W swap, but I have done one in the past.

Generally a tubular K member will give more clearance than the stock K member, so that shouldn't be an issue, but I you might check with UPR and/or the header manufacturer to verify if there are any issues.

In my research the transmission seemed to be the biggest issue in regards to clearance. So keep that in mind. I have no experience with the AFR heads, so not sure what difference they make in regards to fitment.

If working on a budget, I would seriously look at BBK first, MAC headers might be an option but iMHO their finishes are not the best, unless they have improved over the years. Obviously if $$ is not an option then Kooks probably either has or can build you exactly what you want/need. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I've used Hooker and Dynateck 351 swap headers before. The Dynatech headers were better, but run about $580 a set. Stepped tube 1 3/4" to 1 7/8". There are on the car in my build thread about my 1979 coupe. I did have to modify the drivers side to work with my 4r70w trans, an AOD would have the same issue. Manual trans should fit fine.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d.../model/mustang

The Hookers were Supercomps, they used adapter plates to mate to standard exhaust bolt pattern heads. The adapters were a pain to seal up properly.

On a different build I had the K-member spaced down 1" for hood clearance. Just for the heck of it I tossed on a set of Flowtech 302 headers. They fit great, plenty of room, but the matching H-pipe would probably need to be modified. I just mention this in case you had a set of nice 302 headers laying around.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Thanks for the reply’s. I still have some time, my car is in paint at the moment and won’t have it back for another month. just don’t wanna get stuck with headers I can’t use. I’ll make some calls and see what they say also. Thanks