Close

Default Pacesetter or Flowtech?

looking to purchase economical longtubes and mid pipe. Always been a big fan of Mac stuff but not wanting to spend that kind of money on a low power 302. Pacesetter a bit more than the Flowtech stuff is it worth it? Do not mind dropping a few more bones if the Pacesetter stuff is better. Not sure which cat back I will go with. Might stick with Mac out back. Biggest requirement I have is fitment and quiet driving around.

Why not just do it right the first time and go with either Mac or BBK? There are sales all the time on BBK. And if is a low power 302 you probably would not really benefit from long tubes anyways. BBK shorties along with BBK off road H pipe and Flowmaster 40s will give you a little bit of more power and also your classic five oh sound......so you can't really go wrong here. What kind of power are you putting down with your motor?
    Current Mustangs:
    82 Silver GT - 5.0L crate motor, Tremec 3550 5 spd tranny, SVO brake kit, 8.8 rear end with 373s
    05 Legend Lime Fastback - some mods
    05 Screaming Yellow Vert - even more mods including Edelbrock blower

I've had a couple sets of the Flowtech headers, I like them. If you cut the header flanges so that you can remove the individual tubes, they are easy to install. You can even get the starter off without removing the entire header, plenty of steering shaft clearance too. You can get them ceramic coated and there is an available matching H-pipe too.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

FEP Senior Member

I have also bben really happy with the long tube FlowTech headers, I ran a set on my 85 Mustang for 13 years, and currently have a pair of them on my low 10 second, all motor 331 Fairmont. Fit great, good ground clearance, and cheaper than most shorty headers. Great bang for the buck.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

went with the Jegs house brand .....which are Flowtechs

Beneficial tidbit: those Jegs brand say they are 16 gauge tubing, where the Flowtechs list 18 gauge, so the Jegs' are thicker metal. If I didn't already have some BBK shorties, I'd be grabbing those Jegs long tubes too.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Beneficial tidbit: those Jegs brand say they are 16 gauge tubing, where the Flowtechs list 18 gauge, so the Jegs' are thicker metal. If I didn't already have some BBK shorties, I'd be grabbing those Jegs long tubes too.
    Well kinda of sad to say this but I have no idea why my fingers typed Jegs, I actually ordered the Summit house brand. Did not realize this typo till now lol

A friend of mine found a set of BBK longtubes and matching H pipe on craigslist awhile back for a real cheap price. The only bad part about buying used headers is the flanges usually move or warp to the original heads they were bolted to. His bolted right up and had no problems from what he said. I think he paid $200 for both pieces.