Close

Default Keeping Throttle Body Injection

I have recently bought a 1984 GT that has an AOD and throttle body injection. I have a TK3550 to go in it, but would like to keep the throttle body. This car won’t be moved to get much more HP. Will thr computer get confused or will things be okay? I know it sounds weird, but I think I’ll have less problems than going with a cab

TIA

Jim

not at all. I completely replaced my exhaust from the block back and many other changes. No problem. I have come to the conclusion you can do just about anything you want but use a cam that isn't SD safe.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Thanks, emerygt350. I’m glad to hear that. This is a very original car, so I want to keep as much that way as I can, while still making it reliable and fun

Jim

Duals and headers made a very noticeable improvement in mine. The y pipe is going to be your Achilles heel. If that starts to go you are up the crick. Pre 86 exhaust parts cannot be purchased anymore and that valve on the passenger header makes it a major pain getting a custom setup. I kept my original parts just in case but I can't imagine somebody would want to put them back on...
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Stock 85-93 headers and a dual exhaust for an 86-93 car will fit no problem, other than the fact you'll need an 86-93 double hump cross for the TK trans. CFI will handle that and it'll perk up nicely.