Close

Thread: Strut ?

FEP Member

Default Strut ?

Getting front and rear brake assembly, spindles, all the hardware off 95 v6. Should I also get front struts? Will they fit on 85 with stock suspension.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I believe the SN95 struts have a different travel than the Fox struts. Fox struts supposed have an inch or so less travel. I am running fox struts on my lowered SN95. Less of a chance in bottoming out the strut on a lowered SN95.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

FEP Member

I thought that 85 struts wouldn't bolt up correctly with 94-95 spindles

Fox struts have more bump travel. The most desirable is 87-93. Shims are required but they bolt up to the SN95 spindles. This is what I run on my 86GT.

education/discussion time....... have you thought about caster, camber, or bumpsteer??

I used X2 spindles to drop the A arm relative to the spindle and get a lower ride height with a factory spring. The X2 balljoint change is Steeda’s way of correcting the bump steer curve when running SN95 94-95 spindles on a fox K member with stock springs. It’s closer than a fox or regular SN95 balljoint.....

I dropped the car another 3/4” using old school HPM caster/camber plates. That meant for me an X2 by itself is t going to be right either.

MM sells an SN95 spindle on Fox bumpsteer kit and recommends checking bumpsteer curve on the car at ride height. So I put on MM bumpsteer kit and dialed it in.

Expect that you will have to elongate the strut bolt slots in the strut or use camber bolts to get to both maximum caster and any negative camber at all. And read up on supporting the A arm or holding the spring while swapping struts. Also on loading the spindle before torquing the spindle bolts. If you don’t you will never get it to alignment specs and if you do it wonts stay in adjustment.

Next thibg to consider — shocks. SN95 rear shocks have more bump travel but the stop is in the shock. You have to remove the fox bumpstop to make the suspension use the SN95 shock stops.

You can play with isolators to drop ride height out back with a factory spring

93 Cobra street version used 87-93 4cyl springs. Better ride quality, less rear suspension bind, better handling. Cheap upgrade.

I used all sn95 stuff on my 79(spindles arms springs k member and rack. I used 93 struts and sn shocks out back. Ended up with a lowering spring on the rear to bring it down to match the front. Also used new poly on front and rear lca's, rubber up top. I did need camber bolts to get everything lined up. I find the ride responsive and not too harsh

FEP Member

For right now I was just going 95 spindles ,brakes with x2 b. Joints .with everything else being stock 85. Does anyone sale the shims yo go with 87-93 struts.

I didn't use a shim on mine. 94 spindles with 93 struts

Racecraft Inc. sold the struct spacers about 2 years ago (when I bought mine). They were cheap ($28.76 shipped).

Kenny