Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well, I got my ABS headliner backboard from Rock Auto last night. Even though the piece seems to be great quality. THEY FOLDED IT! They bent it to place in a large box rather the shipping flat! Now, there was a label on the outside of the box that said it needed to be pulled out within 24 hrs and laid flat out of direct sunlight and it will go back to shape. I can very well see this if it was kinda rolled in a big loop, but this thing was folder FLAT. The gray ABS is all white where it was folded at the small strip at the dome light (Ttop area). It lays flat, but a limp noodle. Structurally gone. Super disappointed. Box seems to come from the manufacture (ACME) as it had brown carton tape with RA tape over that. I have located a phone number and will call them to see if this is standard procedure. To me it sounds like it is, but maybe not best for the t-top products.

I really can't see this happening for a covered product though, seems like it would really effect the upholstery.

Argh!

EDIT: Just a follow up. I talked to ACME directly and it is normal for them to send the the headliners "rolled" in the box otherwise we would be dealing with a freight cost rather than a parcel cost (which is a plus). They drop ship for RA so they packaged it. From the salesman's response, it is NOT normal to have it completely bent like in my case. They have asked for photos and order information which I'll get to them in the morning. At this point I don't know how it will be resolved, but it's moving forward.
    Last edited by ev5oh; 11-28-2018 at 02:15 PM.
    1983 Ford Mustang GT | T- Roof | Polar White | Black Sport Interior

Quote Originally Posted by ev5oh View Post
    Well, I got my ABS headliner backboard from Rock Auto last night. Even though the piece seems to be great quality. THEY FOLDED IT! They bent it to place in a large box rather the shipping flat! Now, there was a label on the outside of the box that said it needed to be pulled out within 24 hrs and laid flat out of direct sunlight and it will go back to shape. I can very well see this if it was kinda rolled in a big loop, but this thing was folder FLAT. The gray ABS is all white where it was folded at the small strip at the dome light (Ttop area). It lays flat, but a limp noodle. Structurally gone. Super disappointed. Box seems to come from the manufacture (ACME) as it had brown carton tape with RA tape over that. I have located a phone number and will call them to see if this is standard procedure. To me it sounds like it is, but maybe not best for the t-top products.

I really can't see this happening for a covered product though, seems like it would really effect the upholstery.

Argh!

EDIT: Just a follow up. I talked to ACME directly and it is normal for them to send the the headliners "rolled" in the box otherwise we would be dealing with a freight cost rather than a parcel cost (which is a plus). They drop ship for RA so they packaged it. From the salesman's response, it is NOT normal to have it completely bent like in my case. They have asked for photos and order information which I'll get to them in the morning. At this point I don't know how it will be resolved, but it's moving forward.
    That really SUCKS! Sorry to hear that. I have seen the headliners, even covered shipped in a large box rolled up, but NEVER FOLDED. That sounds like some idiot working in the shipping department that either is too STUPID to know better or just too lazy to care. Hopefully they make it right and quickly.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

i had one shipped to me and i duck taped it back together as he cut it in half to save on shipping cost. worked out well with the tape. the foam backed headliner material can hide many small sins.

I dealt with ACME with the warranty claim. Aside from my email going to junk mail they were very apologetic and shipped me a replacement the same day. I ended up getting it Tuesday and it came in great shape. This time they rolled in a different direction and adhered the ends to a corner protector (typically used on a skid).

I still have to get my vinyl and figure out how I want to patch the visor clip holes.

Meanwhile I have been working on getting the rest of the interior in sans front seat, roof trim and lights. Boy it has been a long time coming.

Glad to hear they made it right in the end.

Did they require you to send back the first headliner board? If not, I would use that to fill any holes in the new board. I believe the new boards are a type of ABS plastic, you can test a small piece to verify, but I believe the ABS glue you can pick up at Home Depot/Lowe's in the plumbing aisle should work on it. Cut out your fill pieces and glue them from the back side. You might even be able to add some glue to the front side and then sand/file smooth if needed. Otherwise some body filler or glazing putty will most likely do the trick. If all else fails, I am sure Gorilla Glue or one of the other many plastic bonding glues will work for you. Heck even sometimes you can melt the plastic together with a hot iron or soldering iron. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Did this thread several years ago but it should be valid still. The head liner is holding up fine 8.5 years later. Keep in mind, my car is garage kept and not a daily driver so results may very LOL.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Body-Headliner

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

FYI - they tols me to scrap the damaged one, but Im keeping it for just what you recommend- doing my filler pieces. I plan on making small disks the same size as the hole backed by slightly larger disk. Will try to chemical weld them with acetone, but I have epoxy for backup.

Also, Hemlock thank you for the link. There was a few things I didnt think of. I make and install graphics for a living and I think I have a pretty good handle on the rest. Now I just have to fight the urge to cut everything out ahead time!

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    Did this thread several years ago but it should be valid still. The head liner is holding up fine 8.5 years later. Keep in mind, my car is garage kept and not a daily driver so results may very LOL.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Body-Headliner

Robert
    Robert - Again, thanks for the write up. Im at the point where everything is fabricated and installed. Trim, dome light, bug light, and visors (what a pain) all installed.

So, I left extra material for the t-top cut out area to wrapped into the frame. I have VHB (thin clear DS tape) around the frame. I'll need to fold the material up and into the groove then trim. I feel like there is a lot of tensions in the corners. I was wondering if you heat up the material to get it stretched into place? I looked at my old headliner and there is some relief cuts in the area. Im not all that comfortable doing either, because too much stretching I could tear an otherwise perfect headliner. I can working it little by little, but at some point Im committed. Just looking for a little in-site on how you handled that portion of the project.

This might help. A little different since you are doing essentially the inverse, but same basic idea. Good Luck!

Name:  b50d17d736fce0649b4b7ea2e02dd75c.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  37.3 KB
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Yes, helpful to see different tricks. The OEM piece had a single pie slices with a round tip in each corner to prevent tearing. The trick for our t top situation as it goes up 3/8- 1/2” be for it wraps into the channel. I’m going to do some measuring and marking so see how much more material I can trim back. It’s a little unnerving with the time and money I’ve put into this thing!

The vinyl I used was pretty thick so there wasn't a lot of give as far as stretching goes also I didn't want to put too much pressure on the backing board and have it potentially sag down after a few warm days with a little help from gravity LOL. In some areas I ended up using a glue gun to hold a few trouble spots that wanted to sag a little, this helped a lot in the areas that there was limited room to work and tight corners.

Hope this helps,
    Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Did you do any relief cuts like I mentioned about the OEM piece? I chalked everything out last night on one side and I think I can trim a considerable about off leaving 3/4" going up and then 1/4" down into the channel. I think that will be a good start. I also chalked some relief cuts where Im positive wont be visible when installed. I'll poke around some more before I do my final attempt. As the say measure twice cut once!

As mentioned earlier, I got it all installed minus the wrap up to the T-top weather channel. Well after thinking it over I made my attempt. First side I made large pie cuts and I got it installed but the vinyl tore to the point where there was one 1/8" spot that could be seen beyond the trim cap. Ugh. The other side I tried small pie cuts and had similar results. Just not enough stretch. I even tried to round the points to prevent the tearing, however the weave of the backer on the vinyl is not very dense and dual directional, I dont think there was much I could do.

Anyways, this headliner is a big deal for me along with anything I put my craft into. So, I pulled it out, stripped the board and going to start over. I order more material and glue yesterday.

So, the question remains. How do I get that thing to wrap in the corners? Im not a lug or heavy-handed one bit. As you can read i also am all about the details. Sometimes you don't know how it will go till you do it.

FEP Super Member

If it were me , and I have a T top , so I know your pain .
    After getting the backer board wrapped , I would cut out the top area , leaving myself several inches of extra around the perimeter of the T Top opening .
    I would trace around the perimeter my desired finish edge just say 1 inch for conversation sake .
    This is where the fabric will be in the top frame .
    From there add , again say a half inch , to compensate for the wrap into the channel .
    Then I would brush my contact cement onto the top frame and fabric , let it tack , apply a second coat , and do the same .
    When it has tacked up the second time , with clean hands , do not pull , but just press the fabric , and trim and relief cut as I go .
    Sounds like a lot , but it really is not .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12