Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Making a Headliner

I'll be redoing my headliner. The material has completely removed itself from the back board. I have been in contact with Original Auto Interiors (is being absorbed by SMS in January) and Doug said he has the correct vinyl material for my 1983 T-top car. He is sending me a sample and pricing.

My backboard is in relatively good shape, but it split at the map light area and is creased/ failing at the dome light area. I would like to replace this as well.

I have a few question on tackling this myself.

1. Any idea where I can source the correct material for the backboard? Has anyone have experience doing this? I see a post that someone purchased ABS sheet at the hardware store but I haven't had much luck at searching. I certainly would like to go with ABS, but as I see it now. The cardboard has some contour to it. This leads me to the next question.

2. Do the new ABS headliners from TMI come completely flat? I was wondering if it then contours to the roof by pure pressure of the items holding it in? Or is it contoured and I need to find a way to do the same if I make from scratch? I see my OEM cardboard panel has to pressed lines in it towards the back that I think helps it give-in to the shape of the roof. Just don't know if its completely necessary.

The cars interior is completely gutted and this is one of the items that needs my attention. Everything else will be ready to go back in!
    1983 Ford Mustang GT | T- Roof | Polar White | Black Sport Interior

FEP Power Member

Where are you located? Someone my have one.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Las Vegas, NV

Keep in mind also the location of your dome light hole. Earlier cars dome lights are located further back than later cars. And yes the backer board has a contour and is bent at the front corners. I'm sure the new abs boards from TMI are shaped correctly. Be very vigilant with SMS. Ask them for a sample with a part number or whatever they use before actually ordering the material. My self and some others I know have requested a sample and received something completely different and wrong. And dont be surprised by the price of the NOS material.
    Last edited by dagenham; 11-20-2018 at 07:32 PM.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Rockauto.com has the best price I have seen on the ABS backer board covered or uncovered.

They show an uncovered T-top ABS board for $116 plus shipping. I believe the dome light is 25.75" from the front to the center line of the dome light opening. so you will want to verify if that is correct for you. Even if it's not perfect you can always modify the board before installing the vinyl to correct for any differences.

Oh! I will also warn you that in my experience Original Auto Interiors is a bit cheaper for the exact same materials than SMS Auto Fabric. Both show the correct materials for my 82 RS, but Original Auto was about $10/yard cheaper on most of the materials. Not a huge amount of $$, but if you need everything like I do, then it can easily be an extra $100 or more.

Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Original Auto is out of business. The sold the business to Doug at SMS

I made mine from a sheet of abs I got locally. It was $30 I think. Traced my original onto it, and covered it myself. I learned a couple tricks though if I need to do it again
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 11-21-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Id like to hear those tricks, as I am replacing my liner this winter.

I have a real nice grey headliner in Michigan.
    "40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor" erratic50

FEP Senior Member

You can rebuild he headliner in just the areas needed if you want rather than replace. I have done two different ones, the latest being a 1992 standard roof headliner converted to a 1980 sunroof headliner. It's all on my YouTube channel for both I have done.
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Down View Post
    I have a real nice grey headliner in Michigan.
    Need black, but appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Keep in mind also the location of your dome light hole. Earlier cars dome lights are located further back than later cars. And yes the backer board has a contour and is bent at the front corners. I'm sure the new abs boards from TMI are shaped correctly. Be very vigilant with SMS. Ask them for a sample with a part number or whatever they use before actually ordering the material. My self and some others I know have requested a sample and received something completely different and wrong. And dont be surprised by the price of the NOS material.
    Thanks! Yes, I am getting a sample from SMS. I am hearing $40 a yard from OAI, but not hat they have been aquired by SMS I expect more. When I detailed what I needed to Doug, I listed a few part number I found here from 84 and 85. I told I want sure if there was another variation for 83, but the one from 84 looked correct from the photos I have seen of it (again saw them here). He simply said they had what I needed.

I'll measure my dome light.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Rockauto.com has the best price I have seen on the ABS backer board covered or uncovered.

They show an uncovered T-top ABS board for $116 plus shipping. I believe the dome light is 25.75" from the front to the center line of the dome light opening. so you will want to verify if that is correct for you. Even if it's not perfect you can always modify the board before installing the vinyl to correct for any differences.

Oh! I will also warn you that in my experience Original Auto Interiors is a bit cheaper for the exact same materials than SMS Auto Fabric. Both show the correct materials for my 82 RS, but Original Auto was about $10/yard cheaper on most of the materials. Not a huge amount of $$, but if you need everything like I do, then it can easily be an extra $100 or more.

Good Luck!
    Great, this is super helpful. Didn't even think about Rockauto. I tried TMI for a uncovered piece and they didnt show one. ACME is in the game though! I measured my dome light and it is 25.75" on center, so this will work for me. The only two things im seeing is that I need to extend the map light hole as mine is the longer version that has an intergrated dome light. Secondly, my 83 does not have the sunvisor retaining clips. Maybe you can tell me if the holes are in the board or not. It obviously shows them, maybe I just go over it with the fabric and leave uncut. Orrr just maybe I add them to my car, the visors always swing out on hard launches....

You can just cover the sunvisor bracket holes over when you put the material on. Be careful when making the hole bigger for the front dome light. Its really easy to make the hole too big and then the light wont cover it up.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Dagenham already covered most of the headliner modification above. As he stated your board will most likely already have all the normal holes precut. You can install the new headliner material over the board and only cut the holes you need. As mentioned also you can modify or lengthen any other openings as needed, but just make sure you don't over cut.

Another suggestion if you don't need openings such as the sunvisor inner mounts would be to fill the holes with either some abs plastic or some urethane/epoxy product and smooth as needed. I suggest this since the T-top Vinyl doesn't have the foam backing the regular cloth headliners do. The vinyl is more likely to show an impression of the openings if left as is. A little extra work, but worth the effort IMHO.

I also recommend not actually cutting out the openings for any of the visors, dome lights, etc. until you have the liner fitted in the car. This way you don't cut too much. It's better to leave the opening in the vinyl small and allow the visor mount/dome light/etc. to cover up extra vinyl than to cut right to the edge of the opening and have a gap. Don't ask me how I know this!

Last bit, I believe the ACME listings on Rock Auto are still TMI products just either private labeled for Rock Auto or just a Resaler. The listings for the headliners all seem to match up with TMI. Rock Auto also sells the ACC carpet just like everyone else and again much cheaper pricing. Just make sure you have a sample piece from ACC to match the carpet color #. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

But if you ever get it wrong with Rockauto, good luck to you. Just look at their reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by jlehma13 View Post
    But if you ever get it wrong with Rockauto, good luck to you. Just look at their reviews.
    I have gotten it wrong with Rock Auto in the past. Ordered the wrong part. The issue there was since I screwed up, I had to pay the return shipping, although Rock Auto did offer to send a Prepaid shipping label and deduct the shipping cost from my return. The shipping was 1/3 of the price I would have paid myself. So no brainer. Otherwise I have had no issues with making returns to Rock Auto. Warranty issues, I have never tried, so I can't comment on that, but returns were easy and quick in my experience. Obviously double check your part numbers before ordering and don't repeat my mistake.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

try to recover your old board if you can salvage it. i have done many headliners with old crappy boards and they turned out just fine. if the board is separated or split or the like you can duct tape it back together. scrape all the old glue off the board first, then tape up any imperfections. put the headliner material over the complete prepped board and fold it back one half of the way on top of itself. glue the bottom side showing and the headliner board that is showing and carefully fold it back on the board and gently smooth it out with your hand. i get my headliner material at jo ann fabrics and they have the spray glue too, about $22 for material and $10 or so for glue. probably done 50 boards this way without issue. if you want correct material you may have to order it from somewhere.

The biggest issue is there is so little board for the T-top cars and often due to leaking T-tops the boards are essentially unusable in many cases. You can take a solid roof car headliner board and cut it for the T-tops and use it. The Sunroof headliner board is specific to the sunroof cars and is not a direct swap from a solid roof car. The curve of the headliner board in a sunroof car is different due to the additional sunroof structure in the roof. You can make it work, but honestly its better to just buy a sunroof backer board. Don't ask me how I know.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Super Member

My t top board was junk , could not even use it as a pattern .
    It is not that the tops leak , it is the amount of green house , creates an ecosystem of it's own in the car .
    Condensation drops from the tops create enough moisture , to warp and shrink the board .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Dagenham already covered most of the headliner modification above. As he stated your board will most likely already have all the normal holes precut. You can install the new headliner material over the board and only cut the holes you need. As mentioned also you can modify or lengthen any other openings as needed, but just make sure you don't over cut.

Another suggestion if you don't need openings such as the sunvisor inner mounts would be to fill the holes with either some abs plastic or some urethane/epoxy product and smooth as needed. I suggest this since the T-top Vinyl doesn't have the foam backing the regular cloth headliners do. The vinyl is more likely to show an impression of the openings if left as is. A little extra work, but worth the effort IMHO.

I also recommend not actually cutting out the openings for any of the visors, dome lights, etc. until you have the liner fitted in the car. This way you don't cut too much. It's better to leave the opening in the vinyl small and allow the visor mount/dome light/etc. to cover up extra vinyl than to cut right to the edge of the opening and have a gap. Don't ask me how I know this!

Last bit, I believe the ACME listings on Rock Auto are still TMI products just either private labeled for Rock Auto or just a Resaler. The listings for the headliners all seem to match up with TMI. Rock Auto also sells the ACC carpet just like everyone else and again much cheaper pricing. Just make sure you have a sample piece from ACC to match the carpet color #. Good Luck!

Alrighty! I ordered the uncovered board from RA. Should be here soon. I already planned to do what you suggest and fill the holes with some abs disks. A little more work, but my understanding was the vinyl headliners do not have foam on the back like you mentioned. Ill be care full with trimming the hole but the original backer is in good enough shape to use as a template. its very clear the unit overlaps by a good 1/4". Lastly, I got my material sample from SMS and very happy with what i see. At $80 yrd, I sure hope this comes out REAL nice. Becoming an expensive project (aren't they all!).

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    try to recover your old board if you can salvage it. i have done many headliners with old crappy boards and they turned out just fine. if the board is separated or split or the like you can duct tape it back together. scrape all the old glue off the board first, then tape up any imperfections. put the headliner material over the complete prepped board and fold it back one half of the way on top of itself. glue the bottom side showing and the headliner board that is showing and carefully fold it back on the board and gently smooth it out with your hand. i get my headliner material at jo ann fabrics and they have the spray glue too, about $22 for material and $10 or so for glue. probably done 50 boards this way without issue. if you want correct material you may have to order it from somewhere.

What do you use for glue? I have 3M 90 that I have used, but some say the 3M trim adhesive (08090) is better. Im hearing both can be used, but I dont want this thing falling apart for the amount of money Im spending on it.

i have used several different sprays but what ever strong stuff they have seems to work just fine. i usually ask for the strongest they have and use that.

Quote Originally Posted by ev5oh View Post
    What do you use for glue? I have 3M 90 that I have used, but some say the 3M trim adhesive (08090) is better. Im hearing both can be used, but I dont want this thing falling apart for the amount of money Im spending on it.
    I don't believe there is really any difference between the 3M Super 90 and the 3M 8090. I believe that is 3M labeling/marketing. One is retail packaging and the other industry/wholesale IIRC. I have used both and they both work just fine for me. I wouldn't hesitate to use either and generally will shop based upon pricing. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I have a full can of 90, so I'll go with that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast