Close

Default '83 Mustang 5.0 T5 GLX Conv

Just trying to verify what I may have. How it started out to what it is now.
    As it sits I see GLX, Red exterior, Black Conv top, red and white interior, premium sound w/amp, A/C, tilt wheel, cruise control, power front windows, power door locks, console, remote trunk release. Under the hood and drive line is 5.0 dual snorkel w/ aluminum finned valve covers, T-5 3.08 posi rear w/ slapper bars.
    With all the performance options it seems like a GT in GLX clothing. Which is fine with me as I like A/C and power windows these days.
    Not sure if items were added by previous owners. The person I bought it from (2nd owner) has owned since 2001 and claims 53,000 miles as correct.
    Name:  83VIN BuckTag.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  98.5 KB
    Thanks Jim D

FEP Super Member

My 84 Gt , is an LX according to my insurance company .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

It is indeed a GLX.

VIN
    1FA = Ford vehicle manufactured in USA by Ford Motor Company
    B = active belts, no airbags
    P = passenger car
    27 = Mustang 2-door convertible
    F = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    X = VIN check digit
    D = 1983 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly
    190859 = 90,859th 1983 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly

Buck Tag
    MUSTANG = Mustang model line
    190859 = 90,859th 1983 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    CVT = Mustang 2-dr convertible
    F = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    0727 = body & paint rotations #0727
    24 = Red exterior paint color
    WHI = White convertible top color
    DF
    ST
    PS
    AC = manual air conditioner
    01 = NO rear defrost (not available on convertible body)
    S = speed control (cruise control)
    RM = rocker molding
    WD = power side windows (W), power door locks (D)
    MBW = manual Borg Warner transmission (5-speed T-5)
    01 = no hood scoop
    V = visibility (light/convenience group)
    ELECTRIC
    -N = Opal and Medium Red interior trim color
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Is there such a thing as a 83 GT convert? I thought they were all GLX 5.0's
    Mike
    85 GT - owned since 87

Quote Originally Posted by JKengineering View Post
    Is there such a thing as a 83 GT convert? I thought they were all GLX 5.0's
    Mike
    Yes, there is such a thing. According to Marti Auto Works there were 993 of them made.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 11-20-2018 at 04:25 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks for striating me out.
    Mike
    85 GT - owned since 87

So on these GLXs are they identical to the GT as far as performance? Any guess how many of these "Performance" HO 5.0 T-5 GLX Convertibles were made as this year weren't all convertibles GLX? Just not all had the HO 5.0, T-5, Trac-loc, traction bars, rear and front sway bars, is that correct? Thanks

So perhaps as many as 5300 to 5400 of these GLX 5.0 T-5 convertibles out and about with similar to GT performance? Rarety wasn't on my mind when I bought it. I bought it for a fun car with the grand kids, small in the garage, good looking and easy to maintain, all for less than $3K, nice! Thanks Foxchassis and others for the education, Jim D

According to Marti Auto Works there were 3755 1983 GLX convertibles with the 5.0L engine and T-5 transmission.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Your car looks a lot like my 83. Avatar is small and hard to see. It looks like your car is the same color red. I like the white interior in your car. Sounds like you got a really good deal on it. Any more pics?

Thanks for the numbers and I guess I should not have thrown a number out there without researching it. They do look similar and Yes I do have a couple pictures just had to load them up first. The dash is out right now as I'm replacing the heater core per threads on this site which is one of the many reasons for the "good deal" which I was made aware of by previous ownerName:  Mustang front.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  24.0 KBName:  Mustang rear.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  24.7 KBName:  Mustang Int.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  23.2 KB

I think a lot of these convertibles were made with the red and white interior. With supposedly 53,000 miles on it it's mostly original a couple of changes are, Black top before I got it, which I like. Turbine wheels, I added. Wood steering wheel, I added. The old red one with cruise control etc. was in great shape, just ugly. I swapped it when I replaced the broken tilt steering column. I really like the car I mostly drive old GM stuff so I guess I'm a convert now. Can't wait to get the heater done so I can drive it again. So the good deal started at $2700 and with front end rebuild, rear end replacement, steering column replacement, steering wheel, new shocks, new wheels, radiator, heater core, I think I'm up to about $4100. Lots more to go. Though I'm sure it would have been cheaper to buy one already done, what fun is that?

Very nice! same exterior color as my 83 gt vert, I have red interior with white top. I had a 86 vert with white int. I like the white better than the red but it is what it is. Same turbine wheels as mine, my car came with trx wheels. Po put on the turbines because of the cost of the metric tires. I think $4,100 is still a good deal on a car that is going to keep going up in value.