Close

Default Pace Car & Air Conditioning

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I seem to have no luck with the search function. Did any PC's come with factory AC or were they only dealer add-on kits back then? I've been asked by someone in the media for information that I don't have. Also, did these cars have any known cooling issue from the factory? Hoping Mick or someone with good information knows.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Yes, factory air was available. I have 2 and both have factory a/c. I’m sure dealer air could be added but it was a factory option on Pace Cars.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

Factory A/C, yes. It will be clear if A/C was factory by a specific code on the buck tag, build sheet, door tag, owner card, etc.

There was supposedly an issue with the early PCs w/ factory A/C ... http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?148598 I have not dug into that story any but the data that I have collected seems to show it to be accurate...

From the door tag data that I have collected:
    • first 12 Dearborn PCs were prepped by Dearborn Steel & Tube, a contractor for Ford
    • all 12 of the DST prepped PCs were 5.0L and had a 03/79 door tag date
    • some of the 12 DST prepped PCs had factory A/C (verified #1, #6, #7) and some did not (verified #5)
    • the only other 03/79 door tag dates that I have seen are turbo cars, and none of them have factory A/C
    • the only PCs with a 04/79 door tag date and factory A/C are turbo cars
    • other than the 12 DST prepped PCs all other 5.0L PCs with A/C have a 05/79 or later door tag date

Of course dealers or owners could have aftermarket A/C installed where factory A/C wasn't.

Other people would have to tell you how to differentiate between factory and aftermarket A/C components, as I have not studied that detail.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Boom...thanks!
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

So, if you can say, whom in the media is asking?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

An undercover White House Correspondent!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    So, if you can say, whom in the media is asking?
    Sounded Russian....I think it was Trump trying to disguise himself. Not sure what he is up to now

It was Donald Farr at Mustang times. He was trying to get information for an MCA member that was asking/claiming they were all Dealer Installed AC on the Pace Cars. He nor I thought that was the case, so I came to the best source I know. I told him a guy that goes by the name FoxChassis is the deepest mind I know in this hobby. Well, you and my buddy Hillbilly Mike of course
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey