Close

Default High Mile Ecoboost?

Hey, just wondering if anyone here has experience with a higher mile Ecoboost engine. We're finding ourselves needing to hold on to our Fusion because Ford doesn't care what people want or need anymore (No more new cars every few years). It's been a while since I've had a DD that was out of warranty, let alone an Ecoboost. I've heard about the intake valve carbon thing, but have no experience with it. Did you add an oil catch can? Did it help? What about beating on the car every so often ("clearing out the carbon", I've heard that called)?

Thanks!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Same as 'Blow out the carbon', common term in the muscle car era.
    Especially for engines made to be run hard, not for short trips to store.
    Cruising would tend to 'load up' the colder heat spark plugs. Low rpm, rich fuel mix.
    Would run thru the first 3 gears hard and leave a cloud behind car.
    Do it every 20 miles or so to keep plugs clean in case of a street challenge.
    Engines run a lot cleaner now. An hour on the freeway regularly would not hurt to burn off moisture as always.
    Although am not an Ecoboost owner and prob will never be, would treat it like any other engine out of warranty.
    Maintenance, good oil, minimize short trips in cold weather. Read all one can from others with similar, as if a 4eye.
    After payoff and warranty, tires, brakes, sensors, other normal/ abnormal wear item costs now are treated as 'extra car payments'.

https://www.google.com/search?client...30.Qd-BqoGR3FA

https://www.google.com/search?client...67.4FcjSC05NXM

What do you consider higher mileage? I have a 2012 F150 eco"beast" with 66K on it. Did have a turbo boost sensor replaced this past summer. Other than that I love the truck. Its a 4X4 supercab 8 foot bed HD towing and HD hauling package.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Well, it doesn't have high miles yet, 40,000. I'm just thinking ahead. We really like this car and want to do what we can to make it last a long time.

Thanks for the thoughts so far.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

We have 145,000km on my wife’s ecoboost Flex with no problem so far.

I’m hoping to keep this to 250,000km.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

My 2014 Fusion has the 2.0EB. I drove it all over the country for work the first two years and my lady has been DD'ing it for the last 2. It has 86k on it now and has been rock solid from a powertrain standpoint. I drove it hard right from the test drive, and I make sure it sees a few full throttle pulls when I drive it now (like once a month or so). I intend to keep it around for the foreseeable future, there are tons of these 2.0s on the road, parts are available and the thing seems to be easy to work when it needs something in the future.
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

Ford showroom fact display:
    Attachment 125156

Of course I may have now jinxed myself by praising the reliability of the Fusion over the last 4 years... The fuel gauge is now dropping to 0 with gas in the car and randomly triggering a CEL. I'll have to scan it when the woman brings it home tomorrow and see what's up. The more new cars I drive and work on, the more tempted I am to just put an LSD and snow tires on the mustang and get rid of everything newer than 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by NY5speed View Post
    My 2014 Fusion has the 2.0EB. I drove it all over the country for work the first two years and my lady has been DD'ing it for the last 2. It has 86k on it now and has been rock solid from a powertrain standpoint. I drove it hard right from the test drive, and I make sure it sees a few full throttle pulls when I drive it now (like once a month or so). I intend to keep it around for the foreseeable future, there are tons of these 2.0s on the road, parts are available and the thing seems to be easy to work when it needs something in the future.
    -Randy

Limited slip SUCKS on slick roads. When I was DDing my 86GT I got fed up with it and knocked it out on purpose and left it that way. Tire pressures where they need to be help control slip from there.

studded mud/snow tires with 140-210 lbs of sand all the way in the rear helps a lot.

studs on front too and it’s like a zamboni — can turn and stop and go and everything. Did that a few times when there was glare ice and had to get where I was going.

Quick update on the now 90k mile 2014 Fusion 2.0EB FWD:

The issue with the fuel gauge and whatever codes it was triggering was due to a wire that corroded and broke in one of the harnesses that runs back to front. Luckily, there is a good electrical diagnostician at the dealership where my lady works, saved me the trouble of dealing with it and only cost me 0.5hr.

The car has needed nothing drivetrain related after 4 years and 90,000 not-so-easy miles, including multiple cross-country treks, winters in CO, ND, Upstate NY etc. It has needed some work though, all of which came after 75k except for the first round of rear pads and rotors which were needed at about 40k. Parts needing replacement to date are:

Front and rear pads and rotors (rears twice)
    Front and rear hubs (the rears went from fine to crazy loud seemingly overnight a few weeks ago)
    Rear Shocks
    New Battery

And so far that's it. What I do find a tad worrying is, about 4 weeks after the wire broke in the harness leading to the issue with the fuel gauge and CEL, a different wire had the same issue (corroded and broke) and lead to the dash lighting up like a Christmas tree. It was ABS related, lead to the "Service AdvanceTrac" message on the dash and effectively killed the ABS, traction control, and had a weird effect on the power steering. Now, don't get me wrong, if I could buy a new car without abs, tc and power steering, I probably would, but this car was a mess without it. Another half hour of diag and repair got it sorted. Both of these wires were super fine, maybe 20 or 22 gauge, and lead to very annoying, and possibly dangerous conditions by breaking. I'm hoping these were just two coincidental events but I am a bit worried about the integrity of the wiring harnesses in this thing now.
    -Randy

Quote Originally Posted by NY5speed View Post
    Quick update on the now 90k mile 2014 Fusion 2.0EB FWD:

The issue with the fuel gauge and whatever codes it was triggering was due to a wire that corroded and broke in one of the harnesses that runs back to front. Luckily, there is a good electrical diagnostician at the dealership where my lady works, saved me the trouble of dealing with it and only cost me 0.5hr.

The car has needed nothing drivetrain related after 4 years and 90,000 not-so-easy miles, including multiple cross-country treks, winters in CO, ND, Upstate NY etc. It has needed some work though, all of which came after 75k except for the first round of rear pads and rotors which were needed at about 40k. Parts needing replacement to date are:

Front and rear pads and rotors (rears twice)
    Front and rear hubs (the rears went from fine to crazy loud seemingly overnight a few weeks ago)
    Rear Shocks
    New Battery

And so far that's it. What I do find a tad worrying is, about 4 weeks after the wire broke in the harness leading to the issue with the fuel gauge and CEL, a different wire had the same issue (corroded and broke) and lead to the dash lighting up like a Christmas tree. It was ABS related, lead to the "Service AdvanceTrac" message on the dash and effectively killed the ABS, traction control, and had a weird effect on the power steering. Now, don't get me wrong, if I could buy a new car without abs, tc and power steering, I probably would, but this car was a mess without it. Another half hour of diag and repair got it sorted. Both of these wires were super fine, maybe 20 or 22 gauge, and lead to very annoying, and possibly dangerous conditions by breaking. I'm hoping these were just two coincidental events but I am a bit worried about the integrity of the wiring harnesses in this thing now.
    Thanks good to know. Very early on, we did have a scary issue with the steering where it would stop functioning every so often and throw a code. Turned out there was a recall about that one though. Got a whole new rack and stuff, I believe. So, I know what you mean about trying to handle the car without it.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST