Close

Default Where is my dome light on my 1983 GLX Convertible located?

Help a brother out here please. My new to me '83 GLX Convertible I know has "dome lights" under the dash lighting the footwells. in fact I watched my dome light on the passenger side flash and burn out...I saw the flash but let me clarify I never have seen the bulb itself and I can't find it which is the reason for this post. I simply want to find the bulb and replace it. Where in tarnation is it? I've (hopefully successfully) attached a lousy panarama pic of under my dash because everyone loves a photo even if it's a lousy one I'm not good with my iPhone pano feature either luckily my dash isn't warped like that in real life, only my mind.

While we're at it the light in my trunk isn't working either. Changed the bulb but it doesn't work still any thoughts?

Name:  IMG_4273.JPG
Views: 80
Size:  84.0 KB

Aren't convertible dome lights usually on the rear view mirror?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Maybe on newer ones. I used this video of another 1983 to try and find it it shows a good idea at the 0:47 mark but I simply can't find it on my own. My drivers side is in the same spot as this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGV7...3&list=WL&t=0s

FEP Power Member

You have to remember 83 was the first year of the vert. The 85 asc cars hard it piggy backed on the existing mirror. I don’t think 83 hard a mirror light. I don’t think my 84 has one either as it’s pretty dark with the driver side foot well light being out.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

If I remember correctly the dome light should be mounted up underneath the edge of the lower dash piece in the corner just above the kick panel. A mirror and a light might help you find it without getting underneath there. I believe the light bracket/socket is screwed to the metal frame inside the plastic dash. You should be able to use a phillips head screwdriver and remove the socket/housing to make it easier to replace the bulb.

In regards to your trunk, there should be a plastic "jamb switch" right next to the latch. When the truck is opened the jamb switch will make contact and turn the light on. The other issue might be a ground issue too so make sure your ground wire is attached properly and to clean metal. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Did you check the fuses?
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Well yes indeed I just found it thank you for the location! What is shocking to me is I think the only way I can remove and change the bulb as it sits is with a hand the size of a toddler. It's really amazingly tight and high up in there! I'll have a better view tomorrow in daylight but do I need to uncsrew the glove box to have access to it?

As for fuses yeah I am good there. Again tomorrow in daylight I'll check the trunk pointers you gave...because well I have no light in my trunk LOL!

Thank you!

Glad to help. Removing the glove box may give you better access than trying to get at it from underneath. There's three or four screws in the bottom of the glove box that attach it to the hinge. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller