Close

New User

Default Blower motor removal

Hey guys. I done the search and came up with 0 helpful info. My 85 needs a new squirrel cage. The blower attaches from the rear and not the bottom/front like what ive been reading.
    Does the dash have to come out for this? Cant get enough room loosing the front where the ac blend door is to access the cage.

The blower motor has to come out towards the front of the car. No other way that I have ever seen. So yes you will have to at least loosen the dash enough to swing it on the passenger side away from the windshield in order to remove the HVAC box.

Once removed you can remove the 4 screws (IIRC) that hold the blower motor in place. Then you can remove the squirrel cage from the motor itself. Not as bad a job as it sounds, but if you have never done it before it can be a bit daunting. Do a search on the site as a couple of members have posted the removal process here on FEP. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

New User

Thats kinda what i was thinking was gonna have to happen. Guess ill be buying a torpedo heater for the garage cause its COLD here. Thanks for the reply

Been a while since I did one. I thought the heater box was split there and you can unbolt it from the "main" section and pull it right out from under the dash don't you? I swear I had done that without touching the dash but I am old now.

New User

I do remember that it is split but there is a tucked away bolt i cant reach with the dash in the car due to a “tab” blocking access to it

The more I think about it I KNOW I have done this. The last time was on a '92 a few years back. Take the glovebox out and there is (as you said) a mounting tab with a 8 or 10mm bolt up behind the dash. Take that out and I know for a fact I replaced the blower motor in that car with only removing the glovebox.