Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tu-Tone Capri!

Default Tu-Tone Capri!

The Calico Cat, made it home tonight after a few days, a couple tows, and harrowing drive tonight in the rain. Rinsing the Capri stink off me is the priority at the moment but here are a few pics and a link to the car that some may remember. https://barnfinds.com/302-t-5-swap-c...mercury-capri/

More to come!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Congrats buddy on it finally making it home. Seems like it was a task.

Very jealous. I really like that one. What are your plans with it? I'd love to know more about it.

Thanks, guys. It's an '82 with the 255 engine. 115k miles and all original including paint (less the driver door). She's well worn including rust and an interior that was full of mouse nests but super unique and worth keeping on the road. Maintenance items along with all soft brake lines, some hard lines, calipers, wheel cylinders, radiator hoses, and tires were installed.

Aside from some very subtle cosmetic changes, I will be addressing the worst of the rust issues, reassembling the interior and enjoying the car around town. I'll do my best to keep the thread updated.

Interior progress! Rust issues on the floor pan have been mitigated. I took my time, grinding, cleaning, etching and encapsulating and I'm pleased with the results. No more fumes, weather or vermin in the cabin!

After another cleaning and vacuuming (a couple pounds of nests and droppings from the heater box) it was time to start reinstalling the parts I've been sitting on. A much nicer dash pad, passenger "wood" dash trim, refreshed door panels and trim, weather stripping, hatch struts and a bunch of parts that have been polished, painted and cleaned. With the new carpet, things are starting to look, and smell, pretty good! Good enough where my plans for the headliner have changed. I think I'm going to have one done in the nos material. What was supposed to be an around town beater is turning into a much nicer car than I ever thought it would be - especially after messing around with the paint today. More on that later

In the link above you can see the interior is complete and original. It turned out to be disgusting and needing to be completely gutted. Also above is how I drove it home, floors taped up and still gutted. Below are a few pics from the last couple days and where things are as of now. There's still a ways to go but the headliner and driver seat that's getting some work done will dictate how quickly the interior gets finished.

How do you set that damn clock!

Way to go! Looks awesome

Holy cow made quick work of that

FEP Supporter

Nice work Jon! That is going to be nice inside and out. I can't wait to see the exterior. Methinks it's better than expected? Super unique! Kind of like that 82 tu-tone coupe in that other thread. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-Vanilla-Coupe

You are lucky the smell isn't permanent from the mice. I had to clean pretty deeply on our Tangerine coupe. They had been into the structural of the A-pillars and into the roof, under the back seats and into the trunk. Their smell took a long time to get rid of. Once and a while I still think I get a whiff on a hot day!

Did you find a build sheet anywhere in the interior?

Clock set instructions:
    Name:  001.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  89.0 KB
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 11-20-2018 at 07:58 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Nice work Jon! That is going to be nice inside and out. I can't wait to see the exterior. Methinks it's better than expected? Super unique! Kind of like that 82 tu-tone coupe in that other thread. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-Vanilla-Coupe

You are lucky the smell isn't permanent from the mice. I had to clean pretty deeply on our Tangerine coupe. They had been into the structural of the A-pillars and into the roof, under the back seats and into the trunk. Their smell took a long time to get rid of. Once and a while I still think I get a whiff on a hot day!
    Thanks, Darran. It helped that the car sat under a carport with the windows down for a few months. It was bad. I forgot about that tu-tone coupe. How cool would it be to see these two together? Haha, I'm guessing not too many outside of this group could appreciate that.

Thanks for the clock instructions, Mick. Unfortunately not a trace of the buildsheet. I did post the bucktag in the decoding section. The driver door was replaced, what looks like 35 years ago, so no door tag either. I think a Marti is in order for this car.

Nice work! love the color combo!

What started as a break from the interior work to clean the wheels, ended up being a couple days of detailing! To say I was and still am shocked at what was under the dirt and oxidation would be an understatement. Dark Curry Brown Metallic is actually metallic again!

Holy cow!!!

wow! she is looking beautiful
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Awesome. Keep it up!
    My Previous Stangs:
    86 GT, t-tops, 5 speed.
    87 GT, sunroof, 5 speed.
    88 GT, sunroof, 5 speed.
    89 LX, Sunroof, Roller (project)
    90 Coupe, LX, 2.3, 5 speed.

From the stock, rusty turndown to a slightly less rusty, original '83 GLX twin tip. One of the subtle exterior mods I had planned.

What a job detailing these tail lights is. Those grooves! If you've never seen a tu-tone Capri's tail lights, they were accented with the center body color. It's pretty wild and a bit much for my taste. Most all of it was gone so I went ahead and eliminated what was left except for a few accents. This should brighten up the rear and the new headlights I have coming will definitely freshen up the front end.

Quote Originally Posted by jlehma13 View Post
    What a job detailing these tail lights is. Those grooves! If you've never seen a tu-tone Capri's tail lights, they were accented with the center body color. It's pretty wild and a bit much for my taste. Most all of it was gone so I went ahead and eliminated what was left except for a few accents. This should brighten up the rear and the new headlights I have coming will definitely freshen up the front end.
    I buffed out my 86 Capri tail lights.... also a PITA
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

My replacement dash pad came out of an 82 cougar and was quite a few shades off of the french vanilla in mine. After cleaning, prepping and painting, it's back in along with fresh a-pillars.

Exhaust work this Wednesday, picking up my replacement headliner backer board this Friday and my driver seat soon after. Slowly but surely, it's coming back to life.

Please keep the pictures coming! I am trying to find the right words to express how much I dig this car. I love everything about it.

I'm not going to be lame and make you an offer on your new toy, but I will say that if you ever decide you don't need it please message me first!

I need to see more. Great progress!

Congrats on having such a gorgeous Capri. Totally jealous.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Thanks again, guys. What was supposed to be an outdoor cat has turned into a bit of a source of stress after cleaning up so well - especially with news of the storm that was coming through the SE this weekend. Friday at 10pm I found myself wrapping it in a protective cocoon to keep it safe from the elements. Not like it can rust much more than it already has but, I really love this thing!

I got quite a few parts and hardware in over the last week. I was able to get the rusty flex pipe between the y-pipe and muffler removed and replaced with a proper pipe. Now the exhaust is actually coming out the tailpipe!

New headlights got installed. What a huge difference from the old to new as you can see below. New strikers all the way around (my hatch now locks!). I got my driver seat covers back, installed over the frame and mocked up in the car with the passenger seat. I was also able to get my hands on a new used headliner backer board from an 82 GT. Getting the headliner reupholstered is all that's keeping me from buttoning up the interior. During or after the interior, I will be taking care of the yellow bumper moldings and mirrors, cowl, etc.

A few pics for you: the front end before and after, having some fun with a plate and frame from the car's home state, and a mock-up of the front seats (A long story but the reason I bought the car in the first place).

The interior is back together! I decided to repair the original backer board and do the headliner myself. $10 for the material and 35 for the adhesive. I'm very happy with it and super pleased with how the interior turned out overall. A few small details to address inside then on to the bumpers.

Nice JOB!!!! Looks terrific. I know you must be proud of the results of all your efforts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast