Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Big fail today,
    Tried to fill the cooling system, major leak from the thermostat housing.
    I’m not sure if the thermostat was stuck between the housing and the intake or if it was leaking from the bottom bolt.
    I hate that bottom bolt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the car running!
    It made it around the block and back home, and did a decent burnout.

At first it wouldn’t start because I forgot the body ground, easy fix.

It threw the belt and might still have a coolant leak, and the alignment is a little scary but it runs strong, transmission is smooth and nothing fell off.

Not quite ready for cruising.
    If I rev the engine it blows coolant out the water pump behind the pulley,
    Looks like a bad bearing.

Lucky night,
    I did a little more trouble shooting and found a tear in the bypass hose. Easy fix!

My mustang made it to work and back home today with no issues!

The new header rubs the shock tower some times so I’ll have to clearance that a little and it needs more timing.
    Otherwise it’s great.

I filled up with fresh gas on the way home and it really likes the 93 ethanol free gas.

FEP Supporter

Nice progress!
    '85 GT

I drove the mustang to work yesterday and today,
    Added a little more timing and it’s running great.

I’m very happy with the summit racing springs, ride is firm but not harsh.

Interesting that this engine is not as rev happy as the 5.0 in my factory five cobra. The only difference is that the cobra is efi and 355 gears and the mustang is carb and 308 gears.
    The cobra seems like it wants to rev to the moon but the mustang not so much.
    Maybe I’ll play with the carb tomorrow if it’s not raining.

I drove the mustang to work yesterday and today,
    Added a little more timing and it’s running great.

I’m very happy with the summit racing springs, ride is firm but not harsh.

Interesting that this engine is not as rev happy as the 5.0 in my factory five cobra. The only difference is that the cobra is efi and 355 gears and the mustang is carb and 308 gears.
    The cobra seems like it wants to rev to the moon but the mustang not so much.
    Maybe I’ll play with the carb tomorrow if it’s not raining.

It’s been a great summer drive the old convertible, but she must be jealous of the money I’m spending on racing parts for my cobra and wants some attention.

Yesterday the starter solenoid stuck and it wouldn’t stop cranking.
    It did this once a few years ago and I replaced the solenoid. Now it’s doing it all the time. I’m going to replace with a motorcraft solenoid from rock auto and the ignition switch too. Hopefully that solves it.

Also the clutch release bearing is squealing. I tried adjusting the clutch cable but that only made it worse. My own stupidity for re using a bearing on a rebuilt transmission. It’s only got about 5000 miles on that bearing.
    A buddy has a hoist and transmission jack I can use to pull the trans.

Finally there is an exhaust leak I need to fix. I had two sets of header gaskets na dot looks like I chose the wrong ones.

Time for some quality garage time with my old car.

It’s been a great summer drive the old convertible, but she must be jealous of the money I’m spending on racing parts for my cobra and wants some attention.

Yesterday the starter solenoid stuck and it wouldn’t stop cranking.
    It did this once a few years ago and I replaced the solenoid. Now it’s doing it all the time. I’m going to replace with a motorcraft solenoid from rock auto and the ignition switch too. Hopefully that solves it.

Also the clutch release bearing is squealing. I tried adjusting the clutch cable but that only made it worse. My own stupidity for re using a bearing on a rebuilt transmission. It’s only got about 5000 miles on that bearing.
    A buddy has a hoist and transmission jack I can use to pull the trans.

Finally there is an exhaust leak I need to fix. I had two sets of header gaskets na dot looks like I chose the wrong ones.

Time for some quality garage time with my old car.

I found my exhaust leak,
    Turns out the header flange wasn’t welded all the way around on two of the pipes.
    I think I’m done messing with these headers and the stock ones are goi g back on.

I’d get a nice original starter solenoid from the junk yard. I cracked the original started solenoid on my Saleen a couple years ago when I changed the battery cable. I ordered a new Motorcraft one from Rock auto and it stuck immediately. I returned it and got another and it stuck as well. I put a cheap autozone one I had from a parts car and it worked but would stick every once in a while. Finally I grabbed a couple used OEM ones from a couple late 80’s cars and have not had a problem since. Hopefully you have better luck with the new Motorcraft one.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

My new ignition switch and solenoid arrived and I put them in, so far no more sticking starter.
    Both parts came from rockauto and look like genuine ford parts and food quality.

Tomorrow night I’m trading a bottle of whiskey for the use of a friends hoist to pull the trans and change the throw out bearing. Hopefully that finishes my winter repairs now that it’s almost time to part the car for the winter again.

Where might one live to worry about winter in September...or even October for that matter. LOL

This has been the hottest week of the year so far with temps around 97-98.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    Where might one live to worry about winter in September...or even October for that matter. LOL

This has been the hottest week of the year so far with temps around 97-98.
    Good point, but I count my weeks based on weekends,
    Every weekend is booked from now until Christmas so I won’t get much use out of the car before it’s time to park her for the winter.

Now I’ve gone and done it,
    Me and a friend went partners on a ‘92 Parts car,
    V8 5speed with some goodies like roller rockers and headers.
    I haven’t actually seen it yet but supposedly it runs and drives but is pretty rotten, we’re hoping we can part it out and make our investment back at the swap meet next month and keep some of the better parts for ourselves.

Transmission night went great, two hours start to finish and the trans works great and is quiet and smooth again. Thanks to my friend mike for letting me use his hoist.
    Only bad part was I drove there from work and everything was pretty hot for working on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123