Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks, it probably helps that I’ve replaced this frame rail at least a thousand times in my head.

A friend from out of town has offered to lend me his plasma cutter for the winter, he’s bringing it over when he comes for my annual Barrett Jackson party. That should speed me up even more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the k member, control arms and other suspension parts painted today.
    I was planning to buy new control arms but I got a deal on ball joints and bushings so I’ll be rebuilding these.

I took the parts to the car wash in the back of my truck and cleaned them up with engine degreaser then primed and painted with tremclad. I made my own grey from black, white and a little silver.
    Good enough for parts you can’t see.

Started welding last night,
    Moving around and trying not to get it too hot and warp anything.
    Last week I painted all the areas I won’t be able to access after it’s all put together.

Hoping to have the drivers side all welded up my the end of this week

Looking Good!

Officially ahead of my unofficial schedule!
    Passenger side is welded on and ready for finishing, drivers side is cut out and ready to fit the new rail.
    There was more rust than I expected but it will all be done in time for spring.

Unofficial schedule was passenger side done by end of January, driver side by end of February and March to paint and reassemble.

Lost a week to stomach flu but I’m back at it.
    While I was sick I spent some time cruising online auctions and ended up buying a set of 4.10 gears.
    The Convertible has 308 and my FFR has 355, so my plan is to swap rearends with my cobra so the Convertible gets 355 and the FFR will get the Convertible reared with the 410s added!

All the welding is done and shot a coat of primer last night,
    Hopefully I can get it all masked and painted over the weekend.

Looks pretty good!

I need to do at least a partial front frame rail on my RS, wanna come do it for me? Good luck with the painting. I won't be getting much of that done here with rain in the forecast daily for the next week or so.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Unexpected further repairs,
    I’ve never taken the hood off before last night.
    I wanted to paint behind the hinges so I took the hood and hinges off and found this,

The fun never ends!

Back on schedule,
    A little more smoothing and a quick skim of putty and I’ll ready for primer and paint again

Painting the engine bay this afternoon!

Started bolting parts back on last night.
    Now o have to be careful not to scratch my new paint. At least I’m past the rust in the eyes stage of this project.

I’m also taking the time to correct some poor wiring that has been added to the car as it evolved. I’m much more particular now in my 30s than when I was 20 years old and thought fog lights behind the grill looked cool.

I got all the wiring straightened out last night. I used an electric fuel pump when I did the v8 swap many years ago. I had it wired through a switch directly to the battery. Bad idea but I was just a kid learning.
    Now it has a relay with a switch off key power and an inertia switch.
    Much better and cleaner.

Started making brake lines yesterday but I’m mostly out of fittings so I’ll have to make a parts store run today.

Bolted in the K member last night and then bolted on the control arms with their new bushings.
    Happy to say the k member went right on, all holes lined up.

Sounds like you are making great progress!

I would recommend you "Square" the K member to the body before you go much further with the front suspension install. There's not a lot of adjustment in the K member location, but there is enough that just the bolts holes lining up doesn't guarantee it is straight to the rear suspension.

Here is a great procedure for squaring the K member in the car thanks to Maximum Motorsports. Scroll down to step #43 and go from there. https://www.maximummotorsports.com/a...p/MMKM-1r5.pdf Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Good work on the repairs!

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Sounds like you are making great progress!

I would recommend you "Square" the K member to the body before you go much further with the front suspension install. There's not a lot of adjustment in the K member location, but there is enough that just the bolts holes lining up doesn't guarantee it is straight to the rear suspension.

Here is a great procedure for squaring the K member in the car thanks to Maximum Motorsports. Scroll down to step #43 and go from there. https://www.maximummotorsports.com/a...p/MMKM-1r5.pdf Good Luck!
    Thanks for this, I have measurements from the transmission crossmember to line up the kmember but this method so probably more accurate.
    I’ve got a friend coming tomorrow night to help out and we’ll start by checking the kmember for square.

I hate not having parts to do a job so yesterday I stopped at Canadian Tire and bought all the 3/16 and 5/16 line fittings they had on the rack.

Now I can finish up the fuel and brake lines.

Had a friend come by last night and we put the springs in and the spindles and struts. I dot the like playing with springs by myself.
    Then we drank beer and watched Le Mans. Not much better than mustang racing and Steve McQueen

The convertible has wheels and rolled outside for the first time in 2019!

My wife’s flex needed brakes and it’s much nicer working in the warm garage.

Hoping to get the brake lines finished up this weekend and having some friends over next Friday to drop in the engine then celebrate with beers.

Engine is back in!

3 buddies and my dad came over last night and we dropped the engine back in then watched Barrett Jackson and drank a lot.
    Discovered several small problems to deal with.
    I changed the intake while the engine was out and the carburetor is in a slightly different location so my air cleaner hits the distributor and the throttle cable won’t reach.
    I also changed the front dress so the alternator is on the other side so I have to find a belt that will fit and extend some wires.
    The power steering pump has a larger pulley than would have come on a later engine so the normal sized belt is too short.

All small fixes and I don’t have my transmission back yet so no pressure to get it done yet.

Had a friend come over last night to help bleed the brakes, but we mostly just drank beer.
    Got a good pedal and looks like no leaks.

Might get the transmission back today so I’m getting really close!

Still aiming to drive it on my birthday, April 29.

My dad came by today to help out. Transmission is in and exhaust on!
    Getting close to driving.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast