Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1983 GLX Convertible Winter Repairs

Today I put my FFR, 2006 Mustang and ‘54 Country Squire in to storage so it’s officially winter and time for winter repairs and upgrades.

This winter’s project is my 1983 GLX Convertible.

I bought this car in 2002 when I was a 20 year old university student.
    It had been sitting for 10 years in a barn and needed extensive repairs. I got the car on the road in 2003 but the 3.8 was a smoky oil burning mess and was soon replaced with an ‘89 302 and AOD. Later changed to a T5.

This summer I found a hole in the passenger side front frame rail. Good excuse for a winter project.

Now that the garage is empty it’s time to tear this car apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t had a late night in the garage in a long time until last night.
    The plan was to drain the fluids and have a beer.
    I ended up staying till almost midnight but the engine is ready to come out.

Took inventory last night.
    I think I have everything I need
    Name:  IMG_4748.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  69.0 KB

FEP Supporter

Looks like a fun time coming your way! I'm excited to see some updates and I like what was done to your valve covers!

BTW, you might want to ask an admin to edit the title of your thread. As it is right now there is a "special character" in the title which will keep folks from viewing it. There is a sticky somewhere that explains this.
    '85 GT

Thanks for the heads up on the title, I’ll try to get that fixed, don’t want everyone to miss my fun.

My friend Ron came over last night and we pulled the engine, then drank beer and watched Cannonball Run.
    Not much progress but a great night.

Hard to beat watching Cannonball Run
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Mustang is pretty well stripped,
    The only bolts I had any trouble with with the 4 top k member bolts.
    Once I had the torches out I heated all 4 but maybe didn’t need to.

3 out of 4 control arm bolts are loose so only one will need to be cut out I hope.

The frame rails are a little worse than I had hoped but not as bad as they could have been.

Next step is to measure and record where everything is so I’ll know where the new frame rails go on and strip small parts like washer bottle and wiring.

Pic of your FFR? I had an early roadster kit. Chassis 1418
    1986 GT Vert, Oxford White/ Grey(sold)

85 GT Vert, Oxford WT/Sand Beige-(Sold)

Do not confuse motion with progress

Quote Originally Posted by gsims View Post
    Pic of your FFR? I had an early roadster kit. Chassis 1418

Mine is a 2007 MK3 chassis.
    Mostly stock ‘87 drive train.
    I bought an ‘87 hatch for the transmission for my ‘83 and didn’t end up using it so I built a Cobra.

Quote Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post

Mine is a 2007 MK3 chassis.
    Mostly stock ‘87 drive train.
    I bought an ‘87 hatch for the transmission for my ‘83 and didn’t end up using it so I built a Cobra.

The wood is my wife’s

I’ve officially run out of bolts that are going to come out easy.

Last two are the passenger side control arm bolts, frozen in the bushings
    Everything has been easy up to this point.

Tomorrow afternoon will be torch and sawzall time.
    Wish me luck.

If anyone is cutting control arm bolts the Diablo Steel Demon Carbide blade is the answer.
    One blade lived through 4 cuts.

I’ll put the member and control arms in my truck and take them to the coin car wash for a clean up and then some paint and new bushings and ball joints.

These foxes never cease to amaze me in the ways that they rust! Drives a person crazy after a while. Just no rhyme or reason!

That blade — Wow !! I had four cuts to make on two bolts to get the control arm out on my 86GT. I tried a cutoff wheel unsuccessfully. Ultimately it took 12 high end “torch” blades to make two cuts and free the front portion.

That is when I discovered the stock bushings are split length ways.... which can work to your advantage BIG, FYI.

One thing that was unique - the bolt holes in my K member were oblonged badly from all the years those bolts were frozen in the bushing and the rubber was hard enough they didn’t move — the bolt became a pivot. Was a real mess to locate where the holes are supposed to be so I could weld in washers and puddle in the gaps and grind things back and get to where there are solid holes again.

When I restore my 86GT i will replace the K member entirely as I don’t like patch work. I have a nice stock K member from an 85GT that wan not a nice car and have its front metal to save an 84GT Turbo convertible.

Anyway — oblong holes help get to the bushings to free the bolts honestly.

Once you get one you use a punch set and sharpen a small round into a wedge that will open up the bushing from the end where the nut was. From there shoot it with some penetrating oil and let it sit for a while and the one bolt will come out intact. At least it did for me with my car.

There’s seems to be no reason to the areas the car has rusted.
    It still has most of the original brake lines but there’s a rust hole in the frame. The hood was perfect but 3” of trunk had rotted away.

This is the 4th fix I’ve taken control arms out of and i was fully prepared to buy a tubular kmember if needed.
    This was the easiest one I’ve done so far.

Anyone using a B&M shifter part #45050?
    I found one for sale new in box for $75 Canadian. It’s near a friend’s house about 3 hours from me but he’ll be visiting family in my town for Christmas and could buy it and bring it to me.
    My car has a stock shifter now.

I don't have the 45050 "Ripper", but I do have the 45070 "Pro Ripper". I'd have to think there's not a huge difference between the two functionally. No complaints about mine, works as it should and no problems in the nearly 10 years its been installed. Always considered B&M to be a decent brand. The price seems reasonable.

For what its worth, it looks like the B&M T5 shifters are NLA. At least according to Summit Racing.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Thanks for the info.
    My friend is going to try to get it for me this week.
    B&M can probably be relied on to make a quality product.

Anything else will cost me over $300 by the time I get it to Canada so this is a good deal for me.

While the car is apart I’m thinking of beefing up the Convertible X brace.

Mine has a little damage and it looks pretty flimsy.
    I’m planning on building a new brace out of 1” square tubing and extending it and tying it in to the subframe connectors.

Is this project worth my time or am I overthinking things ?

I’ll also be adding a kmember brace.

I promise I haven’t been slacking too much over the holidays.

Passenger side all rust is cut out and I’m ready to start fitting the new frame rail. So far this project is going faster than I expected, hopefully I don’t hit any walls.

I may weld up all the holes in the shock towers while I’m in here and painting anyway.

Great Progress and looking Good! Congratulations.

Now that you have almost completed the frame rail repair on yours, how about knocking out the repair on my 82 GT since I can't seem to find the time to get to it.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Great Progress and looking Good! Congratulations.

Now that you have almost completed the frame rail repair on yours, how about knocking out the repair on my 82 GT since I can't seem to find the time to get to it.
    You’ll have to get in line behind my dad’s 5.0 transplant, finishing a twin engine dragster and building a Hillman Husky Gasser with my friends.
    And my project took 4 years to get started.

Nice progress! Not taking too long at all. It's barely January and you are well on your way!

Thanks,
    I’m taking my time, don’t want to rush and make any mistakes or cut too many corners.
    My birthday is at the end of April so target is to be driving by then.

FEP Supporter

So far this project is going faster than I expected...
    Thanks,
    I’m taking my time, don’t want to rush and make any mistakes or cut too many corners.
    My birthday is at the end of April so target is to be driving by then.
    I'm amazed by the progress and can't imagine if you wanted to "rush" what you could do. In contrast I seem to be waaay too meticulous and slow compared to you and others around here!

Great job! Come on April!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast