Close

Default What's My Car Worth?

Not sure where to ask this but, here goes. what would a 1985 Mustang GT be worth? I bought the car new in June of 85, its been in the Phoenix Arizona area its entire life and is equipped with just about all of the factory options sans T-tops.
    The car was purchased from a local Ford dealer, Jalopena red exterior and gray interior, hatchback 5.0 "M" code engine 5 speed trans, I still have the original paper work, the car runs and drives. The downside is it has just under 127K. The exterior paint and the interior needs to be redone due to the Arizona heat and sun. The car has never been in a wreck.
    With a very small garage and a HOA (I know evil) I just don't have the space to do a proper job on it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

How about some pic's

I'll have to have my son show me how to post them once we snap some.

Blog Entries

Word of forewarning - we tend to be brutally honest on these posts. Also, values vary drastically from one area of the country to another. I can tell you your rust free Arizona car would be worth a whole lot more here in rust belt New England than it is in your area.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Name:  IMG_1922.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  115.2 KBName:  IMG_1923.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  120.5 KBName:  IMG_1924.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  101.2 KBName:  IMG_1930.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  81.5 KBName:  IMG_1932.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  89.5 KBHere are some pic's of the car.

I bought my 85 GT 5.0 Ttop car back in August of 2012 for $2700. Came with an extra set of 10 holes, extra steering wheel and a set of lowering springs for the rear. Had to do basic maintenance and brake work to the car. I bought it at 98k (by the speedo) and it currently now has 107xxx.

I would guesstimate that with midwest prices you'd see somewhere between $2.5-3.5k. Our cars don't usually fad interiors but rust can be an issue. My car will never be perfect as it has been hodge podged somewhere down the line and I'm sure it's been hit once and the floors been replaced. It cleans up decently but it's far from perfect.
    2015 F350 6.7 CCLB Platinum
    2008 Taurus 3.5
    1997 F250 7.3 RCLB ZF5
    1985 Mustang GT T-tops 5.0/T5
    1968 Pontiac LeMans 400/ST-300

Blog Entries

Up here, easily 6K. If the paint buffs out, probably a bit more, as long as it is mechanically good.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Paint is too far gone to buff out. 126K on it. Never been hit. The car is all stock with the exception of the radio. The former daughter inlaw had the original premium sound system replaced with a kenwood unit. I did keep the whole premium sound system hardware. I'm the original buyer; it's been an Arizona car its entire life.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAO View Post
    Paint is too far gone to buff out. 126K on it. Never been hit. The car is all stock with the exception of the radio. The former daughter inlaw had the original premium sound system replaced with a kenwood unit. I did keep the whole premium sound system hardware. I'm the original buyer; it's been an Arizona car its entire life.
    Hard to tell from pics how bad it is but many FEP members have had great results with some really crusty looking paint. There was a lot of work involved but they looked great when done. Lots of elbow grease, but maybe save a ton of money. Also original paint would be sweet. Nice car!
    Last edited by Dave9052; 11-30-2018 at 10:43 PM.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

$3500-$5500.
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 12-01-2018 at 10:26 PM. Reason: BAMA WINS!

Thanks for the replys and info. Going to put it up for sale and ask 3,600 for it. If I get the 3,600 for it I'll even throw in a bunch of OEM stuff that due to wear and such I replaced with like stuff such as the radiator, brake calipers and such.

Hard to tell by pictures but the car looks nice

If the car is good mechanically it’s worth at least $4000 - $4500 as is. Cleaned up and buffed to look as good as it can approach 6

Decent respray and you’ll get $8500-10K in Nebraska pretty easy

I was offered $3500 for my rough and rusty 86GT with 1/2 million miles on it. Their reasoning was it’s all there and runs/drives. I do have 5 lug conversion and a T5Z and upgraded exhaust and intake, etc. that said it may be worth more if entirely Stock — not sure

Mine is more of a mechanical parts car level body than anything else. Stucco bath tub rough in the frame rails out back, torque boxes, etc. but I’ve owned mine 26 years and they’ll bury me in it before I’ll sell it.

So don’t sell yourself short