Close

Thread: Electric fan

Default Electric fan

So I tried an electric fan conversion On my s-10 and it was a pain in the ass. 2 different modules went bad.
    What is everyone else's experiences with doing it to your mustang? Would you say it's worth it?

I fried a controller too. The key is to make sure your controller/relay is up to the task of the amount of amps your fan pulls on start-up.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Did you use an adjustable controller? I have a cheap adjustable controller on my 88gt and it works great. Tried the same thing on my pace car and went through 2 or 3. They were junk. I finally ordered one from Summit that was non-adjustable and had the screw-in sensor, instead of the push-in probe. I do plan on moving the sensor from the intake to the lower radiator hose, using an aluminum inline fitting that you install in the hose. Being located in the intake, it doesn't work as well when you have an air pocket.

I went through two controllers before I gave up and wired in a switch with relays.

I kept the wires from the controllers because I wanted to get something out of it when the parts store wouldn't take it back. When I tried to reuse the fuse holder, the fuse holder was complete garbage. One if the two crimps was over the wire jacket and barely making contact with a few strands of wire, the second crimp was loose.

Same thing with the second controller wiring I kept.

Overall, I felt like it was worth doing at the time, but there really was next to no benefit, but it did cost a lot of money and left me on the side of the road overheating more then once.

The whole reason I did my swap, my clutch fan exploded and took out the shroud, radiator and pretty much everything except the water pump. I figured it would be much cheaper (and it should have been, $12 for the fan st a junk yard) and gave me an excuse to use the 3g I'd been wanting to throw in.

Now I wish I just left every thing stock.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I'll never go back to stock fan, radiator, or alternator! I love the current setup in my pace car! I don't have to worry about a mechanical fan coming apart and destroying the hood and under-hood parts. The aluminum 3-core radiator is also a necessity, imho. As for the alternator, the stock unit is grossly underpowered and the wiring is a fire hazard.

This is the fan controller I'm using.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mar-mfa102/overview/

The fan itself is an aftermarket stock unit for a Chevy HHR. It's just a basic fan that moves a lot of air and fits the radiator really well. It was around $60 shipped from Rockauto... they had some a little cheaper, but I went with a known brand.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 11-08-2018 at 09:08 PM.

You can use one of these to get your sensor down lower (or if you don't have an available port).

Name:  Screenshot_20181108-211740_eBay.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  37.9 KB

I prefer my electric fan for stupid reasons. It looks cleaner under the hood, and you can hear the exhaust better. I hate the whoosh of a mechanical fan.

That thing for tapping into your radiator hose is cool.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I did the two speed Volvo fan controller. Like the guy does in this thread;

http://sefb.net/forums/showthread.ph...stall&p=504092

OEM level quality and reliability. Two stage BMW temp sender I used in this link;

http://nastyz28.com/threads/recommen...d-fans.196209/

There are two temp options,I used the cooler of the two. I got mine from Rock Auto.

The setup worked flawlessly. You do need a metric tap for the temp sender though.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302