Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Companies reached a new low asking customers to pay to delete content.
    Ads, paying hefty premium for old tech plain wall tires or NOS reproductions
    Have to pay extra for looks i guess. Pay more for less again. The costs of niche products.
    The opt out costs. They do that with electric smart meters here. Pay extra to keep simple.
    Trend is everything that is fine if 'plain' or basic has to be 'tatooed'.
    Like the wifi 'fridges. Where are the factory hand painted pinstripes?

FEP Senior Member

I noticed them on lmr and their not available. Are they available somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by mudgepondexpress View Post
    Cooper Cobras look cool but suck for traction! I have had them on a couple of cars. Even a stick 5.0 overpowers them and up they go in smoke. I Doo like that effect but they seem squirrelly at the sight of moisture.
    You must have gotten an old pair that was sitting in a WH for too long.

Weve ordered them in at a tire shop that gets them straight from Cooper. Have 235/60/15 all the way around on my son’s 86GT. They’ve been great in wet and dry.

snow and ice they suck but leave the Fox at home or put on snow tires
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

Nope they were pretty fresh, but like I said, everyone has different experiences. Glad you are happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgepondexpress View Post
    I would say yes, even in a smaller footprint they seem squirrelly but others can chime in with their experience. And rereading my comment, it should have said "stock" 5.0, not stick... They look good though.

My good friend put a 245/60/15 on his 71 coupe, 302,c4, lightly modified. Loves the look, says they are dangerous in the rain. I don't think they are that bad but I wouldn't run them if I drove much in moisture.

Good luck!
    I'm giving up on my quest for rwl as it's just proving damn near impossible to find a brand that has 225/60's for the front and something larger for the rear. I don't want mismatched white letters. Those nankangs you got for your daughters car are looking awful tempting as I can get them in 255 or 275 for the rear as well for very cheap. I don't want to spend a ton on tires in case I don't like the looks of the general lee wheels on the capri. If I don't I'll be going back to my 17's or getting 16's either trx or mesh.
    owner of the 666th mercury produced in 1983.......neat fact! black on black 5.0 t-5 capri with no other options but fishnet seats.....coincidence.......perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by cb650 View Post
    i have 255/60 on 8" wheels on the rear. Had 235 with 10 holes on front but didnt like the way the front felt. All Cooper cobras. just went with fusion touring 225 on front way better
    Do you have any fitment issues with the 255/60's being a 27" tall tire where the stocks were around 25.5"? I have 275/40/17 on the back now which are 25.7",but there is a good size gap between the tire and wheelwell. I do have an 8.8 swap,but no quadshocks.
    owner of the 666th mercury produced in 1983.......neat fact! black on black 5.0 t-5 capri with no other options but fishnet seats.....coincidence.......perhaps

No issues with them fitting the rear. The 8'' wheels I bought have the extra inch on the inside too. As in more backspace. I think could have went 275 with no problem. I did cut 1/2 coil in the rear also.

There was a question - do 235/60/15 rub up front. Yes slightly at steering lock with a 2.5 turn 86 rack. The 87+ 2.25 rack would avoid that problem. A 1/4” or slightly more spacer probably would avoid it too.

For those on 87-93 spindles it looks like the 93 Cobra rotor would be a bit too much spacing outward at 3/4” per side.

our answer has been if you hear it rub back off a little.

A 215/65/15 is near identical height as the 235/60/15. They rub on the fender extension while the 235 cobras just clear. Main difference is the slight variation in how the tire acts based upon a rim being too narrow or right on relative to the rim.

Its not bad and not a big deal but FYI is can be noticed.

Maxing out the caster is enough to make a 215 on a 15x7 10 hole clear on most cars. Camber adjustment at the strut via camber bolt may be needed to get enough camber with the struts centered and pushed back towards the windshield like that.
    Last edited by erratic50; 12-26-2018 at 02:10 AM.

I had 215/65/15's on the front of my 81 carriage roof and had no rubbing issues at all. They were on 15x8 vectors, and the car didn't have fender extensions being basically a grandpa version. I did replace the rack on it and may have gotten an 87-93 one. It was also on 2" drop springs. I will be using the same 8" rims on the capri. Come to think of it those 215/65/15's are still on those wheels. I can throw them on the capri and see what happens.
    Last edited by Mentok; 12-26-2018 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cb650 View Post
    No issues with them fitting the rear. The 8'' wheels I bought have the extra inch on the inside too. As in more backspace. I think could have went 275 with no problem. I did cut 1/2 coil in the rear also.
    Thanks this is good to know as I'm running 8" wheels as well. It has FMS lowering springs which don't seem to lower it at all out back, but it's slammed in the front. I pretty much know my options for the rear now. Just gotta figure out the front if I want RWL still. Otherwise I'm just getting those nankang 225/60's for the front. If I want RWL it's pretty much 215/65 or 235/60. Milestar Streetsteels come in a 215/60, but the largest they have for the rear is a 245/60. They have a 295/50 but I don't see that fitting.

Are you sure you are running an 8" wheel? I don't mean to be critical, but a 215/65 on an 8" wide wheel is a stretch. Yes, I know it can fit, but is generally too wide a wheel for the 215 tread width. I would guess the wheel measures 8" from edge to edge, but not actually an 8" wide wheel since wheel width is measured from bead to bead inside.

The only reason I bring it up is to help make sure you have the correct wheel sizes if you decide to make changes at a later date. Good Luck with your tire search and fitment.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I'm pretty sure. I've had them laid down sans tires next to my ten holes and the difference was noticeable. I will double check that though.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Are you sure you are running an 8" wheel? I don't mean to be critical, but a 215/65 on an 8" wide wheel is a stretch. Yes, I know it can fit, but is generally too wide a wheel for the 215 tread width. I would guess the wheel measures 8" from edge to edge, but not actually an 8" wide wheel since wheel width is measured from bead to bead inside.

The only reason I bring it up is to help make sure you have the correct wheel sizes if you decide to make changes at a later date. Good Luck with your tire search and fitment.
    You just saved me $250 of frustration! They are 15x8 outer diameter, but 15x7 inner diameter. I would have ordered 255's but now Know I'm limited to 245's. Thank you! I hadn't seen the wheels in a few years as they were at my brothers house. I thought they were AR Vectors, but they are Western Wheels Bullets.

hopefully theyn polish up well. I've got some 05 Mercury Monterey centers that fit better than those sn-95 v6 ones do.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks like they should clean up nicely. Nice score on the center caps

FEP Power Member

Current tire choices in stock size 225 60-15:
    BFG Radial T/A
    General Alta Max 43
    Uniroyal Tire Paw Touring, two versions
    Toyo Extensa AS3816
    Nitro NT 860
    Kumho Ecsta LX
    Cooper CS5
    Toyo Eclipse Touring
    Gaterback Repro
    And a bunch of uncommon manufacturers names.

They all seem to have some negatives. Some more than others. I just ordered a Set of Generals for my 89.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Continental has Winter Contact TS790 in 225/60-15, but spendy.

FEP Member

I was in the same positions a few years ago, got the Vredestein Sportrac 5, based upon some threads on here. They have given good summer traction, no feedback on rain or snow. Looks like they aren't offered anymore, but was a good option at the time.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mentok View Post
    Thanks this is good to know as I'm running 8" wheels as well. It has FMS lowering springs which don't seem to lower it at all out back, but it's slammed in the front. I pretty much know my options for the rear now. Just gotta figure out the front if I want RWL still. Otherwise I'm just getting those nankang 225/60's for the front. If I want RWL it's pretty much 215/65 or 235/60. Milestar Streetsteels come in a 215/60, but the largest they have for the rear is a 245/60. They have a 295/50 but I don't see that fitting.
    If you have to have RWL, there are companies that make white letters you can stick on your tires that match the factory letters. No idea how long they last.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12