Close

Hybrid View

FEP Senior Member

Default 5 lug Ronal wheels

Hello everyone, I have a 1979 Pace Car with a maximum Motorsport front suspension. When I purchased the kit, they suggested I get 99 up spindles. It appears as though my 2004 cobra wheels are too wide for the front of the car (see picture). I found a set of Ronal wheels (15X7) that are similar to the Saleen Wheels from the late 80’s. What do people think of these wheels for the fox mustang.

Cobra wheels
    Name:  83144189-2FE7-4495-BB8A-1B8E3FA96CAA.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  83.0 KB

Ronal wheels
    Name:  15676F53-5E74-4FC7-B48B-B73BA49BA1E3.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  80.2 KB
    Name:  FEB540ED-5E3C-4F7B-9A3E-D3CB8D144C21.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  135.7 KB

The Ronal Wheels are good looking wheels. I always liked them. I personally would prefer larger diameter and wider, but I still like the styling of them.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

I was hoping to find 16” wheels but they are hard to find

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

You can't really judge the fitment of the 17x9" wheels when the suspension is drooping like that and you presumably haven't aligned the car yet. They will be a tight fit on an early car like yours, but it can be done.

The Ronals are pretty cool looking - I'm not sure I've ever seen those. But I'm with Trey as far as the size goes. Obviously it's up to you to decide what look you're going for and what you want performance-wise. I would imagine that if you spent the $$$ on MM's suspension then you probably want the car to handle. Putting little 15x7" wheels on there, with the accompanying very poor selection of good performance tires, is going to restrict the car's potential quite a bit.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

I remember those Ronal wheels from back in the day. They look very nice and I like them but like everyone else so far they would be a bit small given today's standards. Too bad they were not at least 16 x 8. I have an 82 GT and currently have a 17 x 9 Cobra R wheel on the front. They do rub right now but I am going try a 1/4 inch spacer to see if that will remedy it. If necessary I will add a steering rack limiter to see if that will work.

FEP Senior Member

From what I’ve read, with the maximum Motorsport front end and spindles, the will stick out past the fender. I require an inspection and if it sticks out ant amount, it won’t pass. I agree that the tires are limited and am struggling at my decision. Worst case is I put them on for the inspection and use the cobra wheels after.

FEP Super Member

I put an entire 01 cobra K member and all components under an 84.
    Tires did not stick out .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Are you using Fox length control arms or SN95? Are the Cobra wheels 8" or 9" wide?

The MM K member should not push the wheels outside the fenders. The SN95 spindles will widen the track @ 1/8" using the 94/95 and @ 3/8" per side using the 96-04 spindles with stock control arms. You should be using the 96-04 spindles with the MM K member.

The SN95 control arms will widen the track due to the longer control arm length, that with 9" front wheels will push the wheels out past the fender lips. It is virtually impossible to run a 9" front wheel on a Fox up front with the SN95 control arms. Generally an 8" front wheel is the limit.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I spent days trying to fit the 17x9 wheel on my 85. I ended up having to put -3.5* of camber and max caster to fit. And that was after I did all the MM fender mods on their website(using turnbuckles to push the front out, cutting some of the plastic valance piece off). I also pushed th lower rear of the fender inward and this bumped the top of the fender out. I used the MM k and regular arms. Fender flares here I come.
    "40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor" erratic50

FEP Senior Member

I have the standard length arms with 96 spindles as per maximum Motorsport recommendation. It’s going to be too close to call right now.

I’ve seen at least one pace car with these wheels on it. I just don’t know what the setup was.

Name:  DF8B4030-E837-4299-BD10-4CA525083CB2.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  123.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by cougman67 View Post
    Ronal wheels
    Name:  15676F53-5E74-4FC7-B48B-B73BA49BA1E3.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  80.2 KB
    Those Ronals look like they have a pretty high offset.

FEP Senior Member

I believe they are 35mm offset with a 4.5” backspace overall to the outside dimension. I measured it and should work okay.

FEP Senior Member

The wheels have a 35mm offset and a 4.5” backspace. I measured the backspace on my car and it should fit.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

4.5" BS on a 15x7" wheel should be fine - they'll stick out about 0.4" more than 15x7" 10-holes or turbines.

But 4.5" BS isn't +35mm offset; it would be more like +13mm.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

FEP Senior Member

Thanks Patrick. The person measured to the back of the wheel vs the inside bead. That accounts for the difference.