Close

Default Z51 Calipers SN-95 Spindles

anyone heard of or done this? putting vette z51 brake calipers and pads onto sn95 spindles with 13 inch rotors? what you think?

thank you!

You'd have to some research and compare specs, but I believe some year Corvettes used the same 13" PBR caliper as what came on the SN95 Cobras. I'm not sure if piston sizes are the same or if the caliper bracket has the correct offset.

I think I'd just as soon look for a set of used Cobra or Mach 1 calipers though.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

I just bought the cobra PBR calipers form Advance auto. Unless you could get the vette calipers for free or very cheap, I don't see why someone would bother too.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

I'm in the process of rounding up all the parts for the Cobra conversion on my '85 GT. What's the best deal on front and rear calipers? I've had great luck with Centric rotors, so I'll probably get those from Rock Auto. How is the finish on the calipers from Advance Auto? Have any of you used a high temp paint that lasts?
    '85 Mustang convertible GT, 5 speed, 4V
    Stock bottom end, Comp Cams XE264HR-14, GT-40P heads w/ Alex's springs, Weiand 8124 Street Warrior,
    Summit Racing 600CFM carb, 8.8 Turbo Coupe rear end w/ 3.55 gears, '94/'95 Cobra brakes, '85 Town Car M/C, '93 Cobra booster, MM Panhard Bar, MM Strut Tower Brace, MM 4 point K-member Brace

'68 Mercury Cougar, w/ '88 5.0L, 4V
    My photo website:
    http://www.twilightphoto.com/

I used no name drilled and slotted rotors from ebay. Finish was good on the calipers, I used rattle can primer and brake caliper paint. I didn't have any issues with it coming off. Caliper brackets were the hardest thing for me to track down.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 854vragtop View Post
    I'm in the process of rounding up all the parts for the Cobra conversion on my '85 GT. What's the best deal on front and rear calipers? I've had great luck with Centric rotors, so I'll probably get those from Rock Auto. How is the finish on the calipers from Advance Auto? Have any of you used a high temp paint that lasts?
    Raybestos FRC-10604N and FRC-10603N for front calipers and brackets are the best price I could find. These are new and not rebuilt if that is important to you. Obviously they won't say COBRA or have a running horse on them. I'm just going to run GT/V6 rear calipers and brackets that I will rebuild for now. The rear calipers are all the same between Cobra/GT/V6. It is the caliper bracket that is different. The Cobra version should be slightly more rigid and is wider to accommodate the thicker vented Cobra rotor. You can grind the GT/V6 caliper bracket so it clears the thicker vented Cobra rear rotor. Obviously you will need the axle mounting brackets for the larger Cobra rotors.

I too have had good luck with Centric C-Tek rotors. I use them on a ton of cars and have had no issues.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

I used the power stop kit from rock auto. I got reman ford calipers powder coated red and drilled slotted rotors

I just got my Cobra calipers from Napa. Good price. The rear cobra brackets off of amazon. The cobra brackets just look better imho.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 854vragtop View Post
    Have any of you used a high temp paint that lasts?
    I've used a couple different types of caliper paint. The best success I've had is with G2 caliper paint.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car