Close

Default Question about disc options

I am planning how I want to do my suspension and have some questions on setups. This is a street car with maybe an occasional pass down track no slicks. Looking for someone to explain why and how much better one option would be over another. All of this is going on a 82 GT.

1. Upgrade to 87+ front brake setup and 8.8 rear w/ 4 lug rear disc upgrade.
    2. Upgrade to 87+ front with 5 lug conversion brake setup and 8.8 5 lug drums
    3. Upgrade to 94-95 front setup with PBR calipers and 8.8 with disc brakes

I assume all would use suspension for a 87-93 fox which more than likely ill go to MM for their recommendation. My biggest question is how much different is each option. I know one more lug for better security and wheel selection but thats minor. I wondering more how much better braking would option 3 be over 1 and 2 and so on.

All the options are an improvement over the stock 82 brakes. The other benefit to all options is the different spindle will allow you to use any performance struts up front to improve the handling and ride quality rather than being limited due to the 79-86 spindles. The front lower control arms are the same from 79-93 with only bushing and ball joint differences, so no issues there. If you don't want/need to run any wider front wheel than an 8" you can also consider using the 94-04 front control arms that will improve handling and are already set up for the better SN95 ball joint. If using the SN95 spindle option I definitely recommend making the change to the SN95 ball joint (OEM FORD only MM sells them)

The biggest question is what wheels do you want to run. If you want to stay 4 lug the answer is simple. #1

I prefer the wider wheel selection of the 5 lugs and I also prefer to run larger wheels such as 17" due to better tire options over 15" and 16" wheels. So I have swapped virtually every Fox I own to the SN95 spindles and brakes front and rear. IMHO the brakes are much better quality, easier to install, service, and repair. If you don't need the Cobra larger brake setup, you can source all your parts from a V6 or GT Mustang since the brakes are the same for both.

As stated you will want the 94/95 spindles to use with the OEM K member, if using a MM K member than you want the 96-04 spindles. Fox lower control arms if running 9" front wheels or you can run the SN95 control arms if running 7" or 8" front wheels. The 99-04 control arms offer more tire clearance due to the altered shape of the control arm.

The last issue is you really want to keep the system approach to the brakes, so either the 94-98 brakes or the 99-04 brakes since there were significant changes between the two. MM offers recommendations in regards your M/C options and I personally would stick with your stock booster to save costs and easier installation. Hope that helps.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I bought car with 14s on it ( pic below) and I have always been a fan of a fatter sidewall. Was thinking of keeping 14s of front and then adding maybe some weld 15s in back but there doesnt seem to be a street tire option for a wide 15" rim only drag radials. So maybe going to a 17 is a better option as far as wheel width and street tire options. I really like the look of the Saleen SC wheels. I think a staggered 17 with 8 in front and 9 in rear would look awesome. Ok so i guess ill plan on going with 94-95 front setup and rear end. Was asking cause option for a 87 front setup and 8.8 rear is in area for 200 dollars but from all I read the sn95 option was superior.

Name:  thumbnail (16).jpg
Views: 105
Size:  128.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jfruauff View Post
    I bought car with 14s on it ( pic below) and I have always been a fan of a fatter sidewall. Was thinking of keeping 14s of front and then adding maybe some weld 15s in back but there doesnt seem to be a street tire option for a wide 15" rim only drag radials. So maybe going to a 17 is a better option as far as wheel width and street tire options. I really like the look of the Saleen SC wheels. I think a staggered 17 with 8 in front and 9 in rear would look awesome. Ok so i guess ill plan on going with 94-95 front setup and rear end. Was asking cause option for a 87 front setup and 8.8 rear is in area for 200 dollars but from all I read the sn95 option was superior.
    Using the 87+ V8 brakes or the SN95 brakes will require a minimum 15" front wheel. 14" wheels will not work due to the larger diameter rotors. It sounds like you might want to seriously consider what wheel brand/size/etc. you want to use on your GT and then verify which brake setup works best for your wheel/tire combo.

The reason I say that is that each brake option will require different offsets/backspacing for the best fit. That is not to say that there isn't some cross-over between the 3 options you posted above, but each option does have slightly different requirements.

The front track width will be widened if using the SN95 spindles. The same can is true with all the options but the SN95 option will be the widest in most cases. Obviously you need to consider many variables when fitting non stock/wider/large wheels and tires. Your ride height, suspension setup, alignment, wheel choice, backspacing, tire sizing, etc. will all come into play. This isn't meant to deter you, just make you aware that it's better to plan/check/double check, and check one last time before buying wheels/tires/brakes that don't fit properly or work as you want.

In my experience many of use have specific wheels that we like or want to use on our vehicles and often it is easier to work back from that since often said wheels are available in only a few sizes and backspacing that may fit our Foxes.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Well that just made stuff real confusing lol. How would I go about finding out if say 17'' saleen sc wheels from LMR would work say option 2 or 3. I mean I have chance to get a full real end a front brake setup from a 87 for 200 bucks. I could upgrade to quality 5 lug rotors and pads along with doing a 5 lug drum swap. Do you think I would have any issues with offset at that point.

How much difference in stopping power would there be between option 2 and 3?

If you swap in the 87-93 V8 spindles and brakes up front, then you can use the 4 lug Saleen SC wheels either the 8" or 9" up front with the stock lower control arms. You can also run the 10" rear wheels with any of the 79-93 rear drums.

You can use the 5 lug Saleen 9" wheels up front with the SN95 spindles and Fox lower control arms. If you use the 87-93 V8 spindles the center cap will generally not fit due to the longer snout on the spindle/rotor. You may also have to run a spacer up front with the Fox spindles.

Out back the 5 lug 9" wheels will work just fine with rear disc or drum. The 10" should fit with the drum and may fit with the disc depending on which axle length you are using.

It's a long read, but if you haven't read thru the entire thread, I recommend going thru it. Most of the combinations have been discussed in this thread.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...version-Thread
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Perfect thanks will do. I read some but didn't read all. I'll skim it. Thanks a bunch

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk