Close

Default 83 GT molding pin stripes

Hi all!

I'm doing some refurbishment of a mustang I bought roughly a year ago. The previous owner had placed one large pin stripe through the center of all of the body moldings, effectively covering up the original double pinstripes.

I removed the aftermarket strip to reveal the original double pinstripe on the car. What I found was that it looks as though the driver's side body molding was replaced at some point and does not have the double pinstripe.

Is there a way to identify the color of the stripe and can they be purchased? I'd like to stripe the molding that is currently missing the stripes instead of covering up all of the original stripes.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images   

On my 79 the pinstripes measure 1/8" for the color and 1/4" for center black.
    Total stripe width is 1/2" (1/8" x 2 + 1/4").

Problem is never found stripes that have those pattern dimensions and colors
    Hard to DIY two separate stripes and get them perfectly straight.
    Could have them repainted by a shop.

One easy solution is to buy 1 roll each of 1/2" color stripe and 1/4" black stripe.
    The 1/2" would be the color to match the other stripes. Like white/silver in pic.
    Apply the 1/2" color stripe.
    Then apply the 1/4" black stripe, as an overlay, centered on the 1/2".
    This results in two 1/8" color stripes and 1/4" black center. Comes out straight, no waves.

I used 3M 1/2" red (the car's oem stripe color is red) reflective for safety. Being a black car, is hard to see at night.
    Then ran non-reflective black 1/4" stripe down the center of it.
    Both can be reflective, but black reflects as white and dunno if legal to do on ft/rear bumper.
    The side stripes glow even with the regular black center. Even brighter when solid color (no black center stripe).
    Nice and straight. Holding up good. Easy to replace.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/6...color-card.pdf
    Last edited by gr79; 11-05-2018 at 03:10 PM.