Close

Blog Entries

Default Synthwave or Outrun or Retrowave aka The 80s Music of the Future

Several months ago, while trying to find something to do homework to (going back to school as a working adult is SO. Much. fun.), I discovered this mixed-up combo genre of 80s style music taken to a whole 'nother level.

I have since obsessed over Gunship: https://gunshipmusic.bandcamp.com which is one of the few band with vocals I adore. Most of the rest are instrumental-only, which I appreciate.

I'm still a metalhead at heart (especially with it being fall, and winter coming), but as a lover of all music, and a fan of the 80s, this stuff is really scratching an itch I never knew I had.

Anyone else on this trip, too?

Post your favorites if you're into it, and I'll add some more of mine.

I really wanted to like synthwave... I love dark Euro syth pop from the '80s and '90s, as well as early EDM on up to about when dub step's influence was really starting to be felt. Dub step really added that "loud" element to the music. I'm not sure if I'm describing it very well, but I'm doing my best, haha. The keyboard melody is very imposing and distorted. It's just really unappealing to me in general, haha. Although I do like some of it. Gunship reminds me a bit of Shiny Toy Guns, who I do like in small doses. The Major Tom cover, especially.

What I really love in EDM is early Trance on up to when it really started to come into its own. Above and Beyond, Armin Van Buuren, and so on. Not really the same thing...
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I'm a metalhead also!
    But I too enjoy techno and classical. I've been listening to techno/EDM since the 90s. Stuff from Photek, Aphex Twin, Ian Van Dahl, Prodigy, Daft Punk, Tiesto, Darude, etc...
    I've heard some synthwave and there are several I like.
    In YouTube there is a horror synthwave mashup that is pretty good

Blog Entries

Metalheads tend to have an appreciation for music in general, which is great. Right now, I'm going back and forth between retrowave stuff, ambient/melodic death and prog.

I'll probably start putting up some links and see what people think.

Perhaps my musical horizons were never very broad. ZZ Top, 38 Special, and REO Speedwagon are about as deep as I go.
    Married to the same Mustang since 03/29/82

I am also a predominantly metal listening person.

With that being said though, I really enjoy any music that is musically intriguing. I can deal with crappy lyrics as I listen to the background music way more than the words most of the time. I can go from Bach and Beethoven to 70's rock to classic country to some newer pop and end up at pirate metal. About the only music I can not do is new age country and opera.

I'm not real big on techno or synthesized music, as what I have found in the past is for the most part the beat and musical underpinnings are not diverse and different enough for my tastes. There is very little of it that I like and about one song in a row is enough for me. I probably have over 500 stations on Pandora that shuffle constantly while I'm in the garage working so one may never know what to expect when they walk in. It could be Yngwie Malmsteen, Alestorm, Sepultura, Hank Williams Jr. or Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. It's always a crapshoot.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I can't say the music by Gunship is my favorite, but it's growing on me. I do enjoy all the 80's references in their videos and have shared them with my wife and High School buddies, so Thanks for the introduction.

I grew up on KISS as my first personal music love. My Dad was a huge Elvis and Country fan. Didn't care for the Country back, then but liked Elvis. As the 80's took hold, I listened to everything from Aerosmith, 38 Special, REO Speedwagon, Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Alabama, Billy Idol, Billy Joel, Bryan Adams, Culture Club, Def Leppard, Scorpions, Foreigner, The Eagles, George Michael, Guns & Roses, Huey Lewis & the News, John Parr, Judas Priest, Kenny Loggins, Metallica, Motley Crue, Ozzy, The Police, Queen, Quiet Riot, Richard Marx, Rick Springfield, Skid Row, White Lion, Firehouse, Trixter, Slaughter, Cinderella, Autograph, and so many others.

Today I still listen to so much of those same bands, and just about anything on the radio, Pandora, Sirius XM, etc that has a good beat, a driving drum beat or booming bass. I even admit I like Nickleback, Daughtry, Zac Brown Band, Toby Keith, Brad Paisley,Tim Mcgraw, Theory of a Deadman, Sugarland, Staind, Smash Mouth, Seether, Hinder, Pink, Matchbox 20, Maroon 5, Linkin Park, Kid Rock, Kenny Chesney, Keith Urban, Godsmack, Disturbed, Buckcherry, and so many more.

Deep down I guess I am still a Hair Nation kind of guy, but I do love all kinds of music. Heck I even love Mannhiem Steamroller's Christmas music this time of year just to break up all the old classic that have been played to death!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Deep down I guess I am still a Hair Nation kind of guy, but I do love all kinds of music.
    Heck I even love Mannhiem Steamroller's Christmas music this time of year just to break up all the old classic that have been played to death!
    Hair Nation is my go to channel when I'm on the road traveling! When I need to switch it up I go up one to Ozzy's Boneyard.

I have actually seen Manheim Steamroller perform 6 times live in concert when I was growing up. It was kind of a family Christmas tradition to go see Chip Davis and Co. perform at the Orpheum Theater here in Omaha. They always put on a great show and it's probably where I get the classical influence from.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I have a pretty diverse appreciation for music, I guess. Dad was a Beatles fan and I was actually named after Paul McCartney. Started playing guitar a little at around 13 or 14. I was in a few insignificant bands through high school and early 20's...mostly alternative/grunge/punk/stoner rock, or some combination of them. I listened to classic rock, classic country, 80's metal (iron maiden, Metallica, post-Ozzy Sabbath, erc) and plenty of obscure indie bands. Lately, I've been listening to alt-country and Jackson Browne. Ryan Adam's, Tyler Childers (excellent bluegrass/country artist), Fred Eaglesmith, The Jayhawks.

I actually like the sound of this band (Gunship) even though it's a little different than my current phase. In fact, I forwarded to my younger brother... who was in a band with a friend of his playing a similar genre. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The Eagles
    Name:  355.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  59.4 KB

I would not call myself an Eagles fan, but I do like some of their music. I also would not call myself a metal head, but I do appreciate some of it. Well wait, what sort of "metal" are we talking about? Until 1990 or so, "metal" could be anything from Judas Priest to Slaughter. NOW if you say you are a "metal head" that probably refers to growl metal with the completely unintelligible lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t53E-u0U5rI&t=142s

One of my favorite bands is AC/DC though...
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Blog Entries

It's interesting. I'm still not sure if I like it. A bit Hans Zimmer, Vangelis, and 80's synthesizer tracks.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.