Close

Default 79-82 taillight gasket

Hey all (I'm pretty sure this is the right section),

I tried searching but I can't seem to find anything about the seal/gasket for the 79-82 taillights, or even where I can buy them from. I have a leak getting into the trunk and I would like to take care of it before anything starts to rust.

Does anybody know of a company that sells just the gasket for these lights? Otherwise I'm going to resort to using a whole bunch of silicone and I don't really want to have to do that.

Thanks in advance!

Default 79-82 taillight gasket

I have used to cut tent mattress foam to places where I can’t find proper seals. They are cheap and waterproof, sometimes I cover them with leather if you are able to see it.

I hope you can find the right seals for your car, my car would need those same seals and I wouldn’t want to make those myself.
    Last edited by Firebolt; 11-03-2018 at 07:04 PM.

That's a very interesting fix idea, maybe I'll see if I can fab something up using that idea, I don't see me finding those gaskets anywhere,

Thanks!

Unfortunately NO ONE reproduces the 79-82 seals, I am not sure why, but . . . .

Since I have several early cars that require those gaskets I have horded all that I can find, but getting good ones is becoming more difficult every day. Since the 83-93 gaskets are reproduced and have a similar seal shape to the one piece 79-82 seals, I have considered buying a set of the later model seals to see if I could cut and piece together a seal. No it's not the optimum option, but may be a better option than other materials. I haven't tried it yet myself, but it is something I have considered for my 79 PC, 82 GT, 82 RS, and 81 BM so I do feel your pain. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

What is the original material? Iirc the newer gaskets look to me to be just rings. The material reminds me of the closed cell foam that I have for mats in my garage.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

There is a replacement one piece gasket like this:

Name:  Tail light gasket.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  25.0 KB

There is also the OEM style replacement seals like this:

Name:  Tail light seals.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  27.4 KB

https://www.npdlink.com/product/gask.../204720/150948
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Alright, so I just ordered the newer gasket set, I'm going to see if I can cut it up and make it work. I'll take some pictures and let you guys know if it's a legitimate solution or if it's just a butcher hack job.

Okay, so I took a bunch of pictures and am going to make a write up of the process. I don't really know if it's write up worthy, but I just want to prove that the 83-86 seals DO work, and you really don't have to do anything special to get them to work. Also I figure since it's not really documented I would do it. This is also my first write up, so bear with me.

So here's the water that would pool into my taillight from the top.

Here's right about where it was leaking from, the seal just didn't touch the body of the car

I matched up the newer style seals with the old one piece one, luckily it came out to be right about the same length.

Here's it on the tail light for reference

So unfortunately I don't have pictures of the ones where they went, but the big one went where it is in the pictures, and I cut it on the left side in about the middle of the loop. then the middle one I cut in the same spot, and it started where the big one ended on the side on the bottom of the pictures and then wrapped around the other end. Then I cut the small one to fill in the last spot. (I hope the pictures help make sense of that).

Also there is more than enough left so you don't have to worry about stretching it out to fit.

I picked up a tube of silicone from home cheapo to seal the sides together and also stick the seal to the taillight itself

Here's my finished product

There were some spaces in between the rubber itself but I just squeezed a whole bunch of silicone in there to fill it and also glue the pieces together.

I know it's not a great picture, but here's the tail light mounted back on the car.

From what I can tell there aren't spaces in it anymore, I shined a flashlight from the inside out to try to find any spaces or gaps and couldn't find any. It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow, so I'll let you guys know if it works or not. Hope this helps anyone who is looking for a good fix and if it's even a valid option.

Also, I only used the rubber seals for one tail light, so if you get the set of both you can do both of the lights if you need to.

Awesome Job! Glad it worked out for you. Definitely let us know how well they seal. I thought it would work pretty well, but as stated above I hadn't actually had the chance to give it a shot myself.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Until someone makes a true replacement, that is a more than suitable solution. Good work.

So I checked the trunk (after all the snow finally melted) and it looks to me like there's no more water getting into the trunk

FEP Senior Member

If you need a seal that just fits around a lip, check out McMaster Carr. They sell seals like that, that you can make out of a single piece with only one splice.