Close

Default head light replacement suggestions for my 82 GT

I was wondering if anyone who has replaced their head lights can tell me what might be some good options here. My OEM Sylvanias are giving off a yellow light that I am not too crazy about. I had an 85 GT before and do not remember them being so yellow so I am not sure if it just with time here on the 82 that they have just changed. I suspect they may be the original lights from new. It looks like they still make the Sylvanias as I saw these on the CJ Pony Parts website.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/low-beam...-1986/p/HLA24/

Has anyone bought these before? If so what are they like? I am looking for stock looking whiter light than what I have right now.....though not necessarily HID/LED unless it is a relatively easy swap/install.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info you guys can chime in with!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOUR-4x6-Ha...ally+Aspirated

I bought a set of these and the wiring harness to run them straight off the battery. They look great and, with the harness, shine bright. no more yellow lights.

Installation was pretty task. The wiring harness fits well. i did have to cut the backside off the headlight bucket so the headlight would fit but other than that, no issues
    Last edited by Coffeejoejava; 11-03-2018 at 07:51 PM. Reason: More info

The simplest option is a replacement sealed beam headlamp. Some manufacturers offer different color options that may give you a whiter light than the basic sealed beam. You will want to determine what light color you prefer. Hopefully this picture may help. Just understand that not every color is available in every bulb or headlamp type. Good Luck!

Name:  Sylvania-xtravision-vs-silverstar-chart.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  193.8 KB
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Power Member

I have the Xravision on my 85. I’m happy with them. Not all of the color options are available in the stock sealed beam size. I have the Silverstar in my 89 and 5ney are definately not yellow.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Thanks so much for the info guys. That is a great little table there. The one at the top looks like the whitest. Does anyone know where is the best place to buy the Sylvania stock sealed beam lights? KevinK where did you buy yours from?

Looks like the Silverstar H4651 and H4656 are the whitest color bulb they offer. That would be the second from the top in the chart I posted above.

You can find both on Amazon for @$20 each with Prime shipping. Otherwise any decent autoparts store should have them or be able to order them for you. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks a lot of Trey. That is great info. Hopefully I can find something is sealed up already. I am not too particular. Just want something that looks stock but whiter....actually much whiter than what I currently have lol

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5pointoh View Post
    Thanks so much for the info guys. That is a great little table there. The one at the top looks like the whitest. Does anyone know where is the best place to buy the Sylvania stock sealed beam lights? KevinK where did you buy yours from?
    eBay.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

It looks like the silverstar comes in stock sealed beam size for $20 on Amazon. I am assuming these are just plug and play for installation? It is just what I am looking for Thanks Four Eyed Friends!

AutoZone usually has good pricing on Sylvania lights. I see the purple box version.

FEP Member

If you haven't already done so, wire your headlights direct from the battery with a relay(s), kit or otherwise. It will really brighten your lights as it bypasses the 35+ year old undersized wiring and switch.

Quote Originally Posted by darkd0r View Post
    If you haven't already done so, wire your headlights direct from the battery with a relay(s), kit or otherwise. It will really brighten your lights as it bypasses the 35+ year old undersized wiring and switch.
    Any tips on this schema for a super clean factory look? I would like the wires to run with other factory wires and maybe connect to battery power at starter relay?