Close

Default Radiators pre and post 88

Found a CL radiator, but is listed as for 88-93 models. Anyone know of any changes for the latter half of fox body run? Wanting to use it on my 78 Fairmont build as a replacement. Appears the overflow tank is fundamentally different approach but figure that's very minor. Any help appreciated.

I'm fairly sure that '79-93 Fox radiators are pretty much interchangeable, with some minor exceptions (early 2.3 downflow radiators being the ones that come to mind first; they still fit but are used only in 2.3/non-AC/light duty).
    I do see occasional differences but I think most of them are related to minor things like shroud attachment, overflow hose clips, and so forth--I think most of the aftermarket replacements have them all so one part number can fit many years. I think most of the differences you'll find (aside from crossflow/downflow, number of cores, aluminum/brass construction, and other obvious important construction details) can be overcome with a zip tie or a couple sheet metal screws.
    I don't think the overflow tank differences are different enough to worry about.

Fun fact: I had to use some size difference adapter type rad hoses, and tweak the rad attachment brackets some, but a good used big 3-core radiator out of a '72 429 Thunderbird is what was in my '80 Capri years ago.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/