Close

Thread: HVAC Cable Clip

Default HVAC Cable Clip

Hey, out of curiousity, I need a 4-eye guy to look and see if your blend door cable has this kind of clip holding it to the lever on the door itself.

I'm mostly just trying to learn more about these things. The one I ordered says it's for a Mustang II (my car's first part for the Mustang II application!), and I know the aero Fox cars used them, but I have no idea what was done in between. For a bonus, I'd love to know about other '80s and '90s Fords too.

I know the 4-eye dash HVAC did some things with cables, and I THINK it changed with the red dash light color so that some things went to vacuum control.

I was just really surprised how hard the clip/adjuster was to find. No one makes them either.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Same clip on all the Four Eyes that I have messed with.

Although the dash changed in 87, the 82-93 HVAC controls are all virtually the same in regards to vacuum controlled and cable controlled. There were some changes in regards to the control unit in the dash, but the basic box under the dash didn't really change much from 82-93.

The non A/C cars are generally cables only and the A/C cars use the cable for the blend door and the rest is all vacuum operated.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 10-31-2018 at 05:43 PM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Interesting, thanks. Yeah, I had to figure, but you never know. If I ever get the chance to hit a boneyard again, I'll have to do further research.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Self adjusting clip.
    Cable should be clipped under both tabs on clip. Pic shows end-most part of cable not 'hooked' in.

Have them on the 79 (Mustang). Have to grab a few spares someday.
    Used on Ford car lines through the years.
    1979 Ford manual shows pics of the part on F/Z, Pinto/Bobcat/Mustang II (manual has spotty ref to II's instead of Fox), Granada/Monarch.
    Shop manual, F/Z heating system, pg 36-13-15 shows two; heat-defrost door crank arm, temp blend door crank arm.

Attachment 124789

@gr79: good pic, good tech!

Mike

FEP Power Member

The 92 which I just did the heater core used that clip. I think my 85 my have had a non adjustable loop with a push on clip. It’s been 8+ years on that one.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Thanks! Yeah guys, stock up in case you ever need one of these!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

LOL! Text this morning from USPS: "####, Delivered, In/At Mailbox 11/03/2018 10:49am SHAKOPEE MN"

It was mailed 10/03

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    LOL! Text this morning from USPS: "####, Delivered, In/At Mailbox 11/03/2018 10:49am SHAKOPEE MN"

It was mailed 10/03

Mike
    Hahaha, yep, I couldn't believe it.

And yes, the Mustang II one and Mike's from an aero car are the same.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Installation went well. It's pretty easy. I haven't actually warmed the car up and drove it yet, but it's monsoon season here for some reason, so I have to wait on that. I'm quite sure it will do the job as expected though. I thought I would copy over the installation and adjustment procedure I found on Stangnet here.

Temperature Control Cable

The temperature control cable is self-adjusting with the rapid rotation of the temperature control knob to its fully WARM position. To prevent kinking of the control cable wire, a preset adjustment should be made before attempting to perform the self-adjustment operation. The preset adjustment may be performed either in the vehicle, with the cable installed or before installation (Fig. 7).

Installation

1.) Check to ensure self-adjusting clip is at least 25.4mm (1 inch) from end loop of control cable. Refer to Adjustments.
    2.) Route cable behind instrument panel and connect control cable to mounting bracket on plenum.
    3.) Install self-adjusting clip on temperature blend door crank arm.
    4.) Engage cable end with cable actuator on control assembly.
    5.) Install control assembly in instrument panel.
    6.) Turn temperature control knob all the way to the right (WARM) to position self-adjusting clip on control cable.
    7.) Check temperature control knob for proper operation.
    8.) Check system for proper operation.

After Installation

1.) Move the control lever to the COOL position.
    2.) Hold the crank arm firmly in position, insert the blade of a small pocket screwdriver into the wire loop and pull the cable wire end through the self-adjusting clip until there is a space of approximately 25.4mm (1 inch) between the clip and the wire end loop (Fig. 7).
    3.) Rapidly move the control knob to its fully warm position to position the self-adjusting clip.
    4.) Check for proper control operation.

Here's a pic for proof.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST