Close

Default Bubble hatch glass

I've got something weird going on with my hatch glass, has anyone else seen this before? Any idea what I could do to make it go away? I've looked and there isn't any tint on the window. In low light I cant see it but when the light hits the back of my hatch its makes these weird blue marks all across the whole hatch. My other car has limo tint on the rear hatch so I cant really compare the two. If worst comes to worst I'll just have to swap glass, as I have two extra pieces of glass for a bubble hatch.
    Name:  IMG_20181027_172436166_HDR.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  65.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20181027_172441887_HDR.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  76.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20181027_172447184_HDR.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  79.0 KB
    Last edited by meezy2; 10-28-2018 at 09:12 PM.

"That Plymouth had a hemi with a torqueflite. I believe we sawed the guy off even if we did lose $200.”

My cars:
    83 Capri RS T-Top
    83 Capri RS
    82 Capri

Any Capri owners in the Bay Area, California? Email me lets meet up! Meezy2@gmail.com

My 85 RS has the same issue.

Put on some polarized sun glasses then look at any other car's curved rear glass. You'll see the same thing. Annoying to an extent for sure, but I wouldn't worry about it. Its just due to the process used to curve glass it look like.

Yup, daughter's 83 looks exactly the same. Almost all tinted glass looks similar in the right light.

Normal. Mine has been like that since new
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    65 Cadillac Calais 4DR Hardtop
    02 Thunderbird

FEP Senior Member

I believe Ford called it mottling of the glass. I vaguely recall reading a TSB about it years ago. For some reason the word always stuck with me. Basically Ford said it was normal. Not sure if there is anything you can do to eliminate or reduce it.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    I believe Ford called it mottling of the glass. I vaguely recall reading a TSB about it years ago. For some reason the word always stuck with me. Basically Ford said it was normal. Not sure if there is anything you can do to eliminate or reduce it.
    AFAIK there is metal left behind in/on the glass at the contact points during the curve process.

Not sure if that’s a load of BS or not but that’s what my grandpa told me as a kid.

If that is the case it may be possible to follow glass sanding and polishing procedures and reduce it, but it’s on the inside and the first thing you have to do is get through the safety glass layers. File it under not advised!

I fixed mine by tinting the windows very dark LOL

Can barely even tell now

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    I fixed mine by tinting the windows very dark LOL

Can barely even tell now

Robert
    Love the look of a four eyed fox with limo tint! One word of caution - don't go too dark!

I was on the receiving end of a "felon stop" style traffic stop one time. They said it was because of the tint on my windows. The officer claimed he couldn't see into my car. Stupid part was I was at 20% rear and 35% front -- completely legal.

My car was in my dad's name at the time and a license plate stolen off of one of his vehicles was involved in something so I guess it was somewhat understandable, but I REALLY didn't like getting told to go face down on the wet and cold pavement and getting cuffed before they so much as asked who I was, etc.

I was stopped because of a turn signal being out supposedly..... Funny, but I know I still haven't replaced the bulb to this day and it still works just fine.

I was NOT impressed and I made sure that particular cop's supervisor knew it too. Ruined an expensive pair of non-blue jeans, messed up my nicest shirt, etc. Anyone who has ever had a gun leveled off a them knows exactly what I was thinking at the time most likely.

Was also late for a date with a girl because of it too.

Never did get her to go out with me in the end, but she turned out to be a "real prize". You know the type -- no class trash plus a whole lot of bitch.

I guess it served me well in the end, so tint away.
    Last edited by erratic50; 10-29-2018 at 02:58 PM.

You guys and your states allowing you to tint windows. In Iowa we are not allowed to have anything on the windshield or the front most doors.
    2015 F350 6.7 CCLB Platinum
    2008 Taurus 3.5
    1997 F250 7.3 RCLB ZF5
    1985 Mustang GT T-tops 5.0/T5
    1968 Pontiac LeMans 400/ST-300

Quote Originally Posted by James2488 View Post
    You guys and your states allowing you to tint windows. In Iowa we are not allowed to have anything on the windshield or the front most doors.
    I would have to move!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

What you are seeing is where jets of air were blown on the glass when it was still in a mostly liquid condition. This solidifies the exterior surface of the glass before the interior. When the interior of the glass cools and solidifies it contracts and puts the exterior surfaces in compression. Ever wonder why car windows are so hard to break but when they do, they shatter into a million little bits? That's what makes safety glass.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Now that is interesting! Thanks for the explanation.

Kenny

Thanks everyone for the responses, really appreciated. You guys never fail to impress with the knowledge.
    Did someone say limo tint?
    I'll most likely wind up doing the same to my new Capri, the spots don't bother me but I really like the bubble hatch with tint.
    I have the front tinted limo tinted as well. Where I'm at you're just not allowed to have super dark tint on the front windows and windshield. I was planning on getting some spare glass to swap in case I get a ticket.
    Name:  IMG_20151229_164506771.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  99.1 KB
    Last edited by meezy2; 10-29-2018 at 11:34 PM.

"That Plymouth had a hemi with a torqueflite. I believe we sawed the guy off even if we did lose $200.”

My cars:
    83 Capri RS T-Top
    83 Capri RS
    82 Capri

Any Capri owners in the Bay Area, California? Email me lets meet up! Meezy2@gmail.com

That is a sexy backside, growl!!!!

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by meezy2 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the responses, really appreciated. You guys never fail to impress with the knowledge.
    I'll most likely wind up doing the same to my new Capri, the spots don't bother me but I really like the bubble hatch with tint.
    I have the front tinted limo tinted as well. Where I'm at you're just not allowed to have super dark tint on the front windows and windshield. I was planning on getting some spare glass to swap in case I get a ticket.
    In California, 5% tint (allows only 5 percent of light in cabin) is acceptable on all rear glass. 35% is legal on all side windows. I had all my cars done when I lived there. Word of caution; go with what is known as 'Hybrid Tint' which works better and lasts longer. You should ask for it specifically, since not all shops use it. Good luck

I have only owned Fords ever but every single one I have ever owned since 1988 has looked like this. Rangers, Thunderbirds Mustangs, Fiesta etc... They looked that way brand new on the showroom floor. I never even thought twice about it. Some sunglasses will make it appear easier but all of them are like this. I am more worried how you never saw it before, LOL. Maybe you just got it, I was just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamCapri View Post
    What you are seeing is where jets of air were blown on the glass when it was still in a mostly liquid condition. This solidifies the exterior surface of the glass before the interior. When the interior of the glass cools and solidifies it contracts and puts the exterior surfaces in compression. Ever wonder why car windows are so hard to break but when they do, they shatter into a million little bits? That's what makes safety glass.
    Windshields do not break into any pieces. They stay together in one piece, even if cracked. That is also safety glass.

I hate tint! I spent 2 days with a razor blade and a heat gun to remove 30 yr baked on tint on my bubble......
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Windshields do not break into any pieces. They stay together in one piece, even if cracked. That is also safety glass.
    Yes, safety glass as well but a different type. It is a sandwich of glass/plastic/glass. The goal is to keep passengers inside the car in the event of a wreck and not be cut to shreds. Also helps keep stuff from coming through.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Quote Originally Posted by meezy2 View Post
    SEXY! I need to duplicate that! I have a black 83 RS with the gray graphics as well. I'm terrified to leave anything of value in the hatch because I have no tint or hatch cover. If someone smashes it I'd probably have to mustang hatch it because the glass is hard to find and pricey if you do. I want a louver bad, but they're basically made of unobtanium.
    owner of the 666th mercury produced in 1983.......neat fact! black on black 5.0 t-5 capri with no other options but fishnet seats.....coincidence.......perhaps