Close

Thread: Need help

FEP Member

Default Need help

been working on getting my dash sorted out.the previous owner had put a heater core in.i had to replace the heat ac controller which was simple.then I tried to see what works and what doesn’t.i have defrost and nothing else.if I reach in to the right of the speedo cable and there is a vacuum valve that does have a vacuum line hooked to it.but if I grab on to it and manually lift up on the arm my vents work.i found two vacuum lines,one line has a blue stripe,the other has a red stripe.they start behind the glove box area in that junction clip of lines.where are these supposed to go?

You have already discovered the cause of the issue, a vacuum leak. The defrost is the "default" setting. Also, I'm not sure where "to the right of the speedo..." is but keep in mind if you have cruise, there is a vacuum line running inside to the brake and clutch pedal assembly as well. The vacuum line coming inside to the HVAC is a hard plastic line that runs through the foam where the heater core lines run through if that helps at all. Then the controller is a valve and there's one behind the glove box and a few lines running to various doors to redirect air flow. Might not be much help but I tried. That's hard to diagnose over the internet, LOL

FEP Member

And I’m terrible at trying to explain myself.ive done pretty good going about this car by myself,but I got a feeling this is going to be a pain in the arse.that did help homer.it made me realize what I was second guessing.ill inspect everything again.i took a pic of the lines that I found.ill post pic and see if these ring a bell with someone.thx

FEP Member

well to further inspection,all the 4mm lines under my hood are as dry as the sahara!i remember a few of those crumbling in my hand when i was masking my engine compartment for paint.i thought they had something to do with emissions or something.goes to show you how much i know.this youtube vid is what is wrong.https://youtu.be/i0coEbykdnE

Here is the diagram that shows where the control vacuum lines go.
    http://myzephyrs.com/ac_vac_and_flow.htm
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

FEP Member

Great info.thanks guys!

FEP Member

these are my broken lines..top line on this set of clips

FEP Power Member

So the small black line between the ac lines and the heater lines is the main vacuum feed to the inside of the car. The type wrapped piece in your last picture is the check valve which feeds the vacuum reservoir. The line on the left runs up to the front fender well to the reservoir.the middle line runs to the interior. The right side runs to the main vacuum supply. That should get you vacuum inside to the dash. The vacuum reservoir is a round black baseball looking thing.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles