Close

Default Motor and transmission mount help

Hey guys, need new motor and transmission mounts and need some help with what to buy. Was looking at prothane or energy suspension but read that it raises motor a inch. Little worried I will have clearance issues if I go this route plus they are pretty expensive. What do you all reccomend I go with? They will be bolting to a 91 5.0 and going into a 84.5 gt. Rock auto have any decent ones? Also looking at the heavy duty or maximum motorsports one from lmr.

Thanks
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 10-28-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

FEP Super Member

I used convertible mounts from the local parts store for the engine .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I bought convertible mounts (duh, I have a convertible) from MAC and they are really nice looking. Not an issue yet but I only have 5000 miles on em. They fit very well for less than 60 dollars. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Not trying to hijack your thread... but I was about to make a post on this. I’m having trouble with my engine leaning to the passenger side. I’m using Anchor brand motor mounts. Convertible style on my 85. I only have 3,000 miles on the engine swap that’s just street driven. It’s a 347 but I’m not making huge power. First mount leaned badly after just a few weeks. I put a new one and it’s been good for 3 months. But it’s leaning badly AGAIN! Very frustrating. It’s not hard to change the mount but I shouldn’t have to be doing this nowhere near every few months. Any recommendations? I see someone recommended Mac.

I don't have recent experience with what is out there now unfortunately. However, I will just say that I suspect you are replacing the OEM 1984 mounts. So.....if the stock style mount lasted 34 years I would go back with a stock style. Not sure how you can "improve" on a part that lasts that long. Obviously you can't go to Ford and buy them but I see no reason for any sort of "improved" mount if the stock ones live 30+ years. If I had to get one today, I would go to NAPA because in my experience they have the highest quality parts. Rock Auto does have good parts yes but if you're not sure which ones are good or not, I want to put my hands on them, hence that's why I said I would at least go to NAPA and put my hands on a set.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I don't have recent experience with what is out there now unfortunately. However, I will just say that I suspect you are replacing the OEM 1984 mounts. So.....if the stock style mount lasted 34 years I would go back with a stock style. Not sure how you can "improve" on a part that lasts that long. Obviously you can't go to Ford and buy them but I see no reason for any sort of "improved" mount if the stock ones live 30+ years. If I had to get one today, I would go to NAPA because in my experience they have the highest quality parts. Rock Auto does have good parts yes but if you're not sure which ones are good or not, I want to put my hands on them, hence that's why I said I would at least go to NAPA and put my hands on a set.
    Thanks for the opinion. Actually I'm replacing the 91 motor mounts as thats the motor that's going in. Not much difference though.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

1993 5.0L Convertible mounts is what i would try.

FEP Senior Member

I don't have any experience with the Mustang specific mounts, but I haven't had real awesome success with Anchor brand mounts. Then again I'm sure the DEA and Westar brand mounts come from the same factory in India. You would think it would be pretty hard to screw up some metal stampings and a blob of rubber, but somehow they manage. I don't disagree with the assertion that the original design lasted 34 years and why fix something that isn't broken. The question is if you can get an aftermarket mount that is made to the same quality as the original OEM mount.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Anybody else have any reccomendations on motor mounts? My local parts place can get the 93 convertable mounts but they are anchor brand and I have not read good things about them so I will be staying away. I want to use the prothane ones from Summit but have read that they raise the motor up and I'm worried about hood clearance. Anybody have more information on this? Do I have to worry? 91 302 converted to carb. Running performer rpm with stock holley carb and proform aftermarket air cleaner.
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 11-14-2018 at 08:14 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    Anybody else have any reccomendations on motor mounts? My local parts place can get the 93 convertable mounts but they are anchor brand and I have not read good things about them so I will be staying away. I want to use the prothane ones from Summit but have read that they raise the motor up and I'm worried about hood clearance. Anybody have more information on this? Do I have to worry? 91 302 converted to carb. Running performer rpm with stock holley carb and proform aftermarket air cleaner.
    I have energy suspension convert mounts in my futura. They were I think around 200cad. I had to grind the tabs to get them to fit. They are fine with 385-410hp.

Quote Originally Posted by 78futura View Post
    I have energy suspension convert mounts in my futura. They were I think around 200cad. I had to grind the tabs to get them to fit. They are fine with 385-410hp.
    Sweet, motor was kept pretty much at stock height?
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I installed the stock vert mounts from the local parts store in my 85 vert 7-8 years back and have no issues to date. They do lower the engine a little, plus they are stronger than the regular motor mounts. I did away with the stock intake manifold and installed a Ford Racing dual plane high rise unit in conjunction with the stock carburetor and air filter assembly. I still have a little clearance between the hood and air filter lid, even with the factory hood insulation. They are side specific...driver passenger sides...from what I remember, and under $50 for the pair.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I personally use the stock replacement later model convertible engine mounts in all of my Foxes. I have used them for probably 20 years or more at this point and never had any issues. Yes, they do drop the engine just slightly, but it has never caused me any issues. It won't gain you any real additional clearance to the hood in most cases, but they do work well, priced right, and can be picked up locally from almost any parts store. I have never seen the need for the high priced Poly motor mounts and as many have stated they usually require modifications to fit the Four Eyed cars. Also others have mentioned the engine sits a bit higher with the Poly mounts. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I think they were about the same hieght or a bit lower hard to say. I have a taller than stock rpm airgap. So air cleaner clearance is minimal.
    Get a aftermarket K member to lower more and a boss 351 stroker with 2 turbos while your in there... lol.. thats what I wish I would have done. On to my mustang project instead.
    Last edited by 78futura; 11-16-2018 at 09:55 PM.