Close

Default Engine refresh and tune up advice

Hi all. Let me start off by saying this is a budget-friendly project...or as much as I can make it one. My end goal is not to produce a show car or something crazy fast, raster just something I can get running to enjoy with my 9 year old son. Bigger things will come later on. Which is why I am asking for your expertise. If funds were not limited, I’d do a complete engine overhaul and this post would be nonexistent. But here we are. So, I have an engine out of an 88 GT 5sp. The history on the engine is somewhat unclear. Apparently it was in a running car that was totaled and then pulled from that car once it got to the wrecking yard. It looks to me like the engine sat for a bit. However, it does turn. It has a Edelbrock performer intake assembly installed. Can tell much else from that. Most wiring/harness is there but is brittle-so I know that will need replacing. I am putting it on a stand this week and going to change out most of what you’d expect for tune up purposes. Knowing a full tear down and build would be out of budget, what are some other reasonable suggestions you guys would recommend doing given this engines dubious past? I appreciate your input.

Default Engine refresh and tune up advice

Sounds like a great project for you and the kid.
    As much as I like seeing the high end no expense spared builds, I think I like the budget conscious projects better.
    It’s a lot more challenging solving problems when you can’t just throw cash at it.

I’ve taken 80’s 5.0s apart that had huge miles on them and they were still in great condition inside.

Here’s my recommendations, this goes for any used engine.

Start with a compression test. That will tell you a lot about the engine’s condition and you can borrow a compression tester from the parts store.

Pull the distributor and make sure it is the correct one, if this engine had a carb put on it they changed the distributor and using the wrong distributor gear will destroy the engine.

Pull the valve covers and intake and look for any loose rockers or bent pushrods. If it’s all gunked it may not have had oil changes and you might find more issues.

Next pull the pan and then some main caps. Check the bearings for wear and plastigauge them. You’ll need a torque wrench and make sure to do one at a time and put them back exactly where they came off of.

If all checks out, put it back together with valve cover, intake and pan gaskets, new thermostat and paint it up. Look it over for leaking frost plugs and fix those out of the car.
    New plugs, wires, cap and rotor and try it in the car. Worst case scenario you spend around $100 and the engine smokes or knocks and has to come back out for a rebuild but I’d rather that than spend big $ rebuilding an engine that doesn’t need it.

I’d also consider doing the water pump while the engine is out of the car and easier to work on.

I like motorcraft ignition parts, not much more money for better quality. Don’t bother going crazy with performance parts, a stock engine will run great with stock parts.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AldeanFan; 10-28-2018 at 08:33 AM.