Close

Default quarter window molding attachment

I'm trying to figure out how to attach the outside quarter window molding onto the body. The previous owner of my 85 GT hatchback had already removed the moldings, but without any of the clips or more importantly how the heck do they mount to the body? The shop manual gives one diagram but I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what goes where.........I purchased some new used moldings that include the clips but again without some clear directions and/or pictures, I'm stuck.........any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

I assume you are referring to the metal trim that covers the pinch weld on the quarter windows.

If that is the case, then I can give you a basic idea of how they install. The 85 model should have the clips that look like this:

Name:  Quarter window clip.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  22.3 KB

The earlier cars use a thin piece of metal that is folded over the pinch weld to hold them in place and has to be installed with the quarter glass out. The clips are much easier to install with the glass out also, but you may be able to install them anyway.

You will need to line the clips up with the notches in the pinch weld on the body. A piece of masking tape lightly applied below the clip can help hold it in position, but keep in mind you will need to pull it off before seating each clip. The lower trim piece at the bottom of the glass goes over the pinch weld first and you need to seat full in order for the trim to install properly. Then you will need to start from the bottom up and make sure that the clips line up with the notches. Once all clips are lined up and the trim is again the glass you will need to use a thin pick to grab each clip and slide it down onto the pinch weld area below the notched area to lock the trim in place. This is the most difficult aspect of the install and can be very frustrating. Obviously you want to be careful not to damage the clip, trim, and glass. Hopefully you can get each clip to snap into place. Otherwise you will need to remove the quarter glass from inside the vehicle, install the trim, then re-install the glass with new butyl tape sealant. Hope that helps and Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

thanks that is a big help and I didn't think about having to remove the window itself, thanks again I'll try this and post in the next few weeks with my progress...Pw 84