Close

Default ECT and open vs closed circuit on CFI

I was getting a pile o codes saying my ect was out of range blah blah blah and that the engine wasn't leaving closed loop. RPM wasn't dropping down to 550 at idle so I knew something was up. The car had a brand new motorcraft ect and motorcraft thermostat from the build. Pulled the thermostat, bought a duralast and boiled them. Almost identical opening and closing but I could tell the motorcraft was staying open longer and opening faster. Before the temp gauge was sitting right between the n and the o, but recently, with the cold weather it would dip down into the n.

popped the duralast in and now it sits just a hair into the o, 37F degrees outside and never gets down into the n, 550 at idle is back. This couldn't be more than a 10 degree change (it was running pretty cool before 180 on the surface of the housing on a hot day) for the computer to decide the engine wasn't at operating temperature. I thought that it would be like 160 or 170. Anyone know when the computer thinks the engine is at operating temperature in these things? I wonder if the modern aluminum edelbrock manifold might be making this more of an issue compared to the cast monster I took out.

lesson? you really need to think about the problem before you let the computer convince you a sensor is bad.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

I’d go 192 degree Motorcraft.....

I put in the 195 'again' but not motorcraft. The duralast looked pretty well made and it also had the little bleeder valve. I have gotten pretty good at replacing these without draining much of the antifreeze etc, so I am willing to give the 8 dollar option a go, particularly after I got burned by the motorcraft part.
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Just took it for a long drive to ensure proper cooling and check for codes. Quick drive up and down the hills and valleys then out on the interstate for 25 minutes. All good on temp, and no codes thrown 11-10-11. I am concerned, I have never parked it for the winter without a dangling code... hope the garage doesn't burn down. Have to try and get a code before it snows.

ECT needs to be > about 178*F, IIRC. You can always bias the ECT circuit with a resistor across the Sig and SigRtn to lower the resistance, driving the reading higher. You'd need to do some math, but I expect it would wind up in the 10k range.
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

That seems right, I bet it was running around 170 max.