Close

Default Clutch pedal adjustment

I picked up a 82 GT 4 speed a few months ago. Clutch seems to engage/disengage right at floor. I looked in book about adjustment and it said stick fut under pedal and pull it up a few times to adjust. I tried this morning and it seems to have made it worse almost to point I can get into gear. Any tips on getting engagement back to normal or is it maybe time for a new cable?

The stock plastic adjuster which is right above the clutch pedal is a weak point. I'd replace that with a firewall adjuster kit. But it could be quite possible your clutch is going bad too

Yeah. I been driving it and havent noticed any slipping or anything. Guess Ill start with a new cable, adjuster, ect and go from there. Thanks

I am currently on Fox #7. All of them still have the OEM for whatever year they are stock plastic clutch quadrant. I have never, ever had even one single issue with a single one of them. My oldest current one is a stock 10/83 car with 217,000 miles on the original quadrant. How do I know that? My Dad bought it and I still have it. They are not drag cars. They are 100% street driven. I have put clutches in 6 of them again, with no issues and OEM Ford clutch cables in the same 6. Parts wear out. Cables stretch. People that use aftermarket adjustable quadrants on 100% street cars that they don't race are trying to compensate for some other worn part.
    When you lift up on the clutch pedal and then shove it back down after that, it is supposed to take up the slack. I will totally agree that I have never seen this "adjustment" make any difference whatsoever in a single one of them but the stock setup works just fine.
    If you are going to take the car out and regularly beat on it and race it all the time then that is not the intended purpose for the stock parts and I would agree, an upgrade may be required. What would happen with repeated and repeated stomping on the clutch pedal is the pedal shaft would flex and then the plastic gears were not on the same plane and soon one of the gears would strip. Ford did not intend for you to repeatedly stomp on the clutch pedal for the entire life of the car. They sell street cars.
    EDIT: Also, this is easier to do with the driver's seat removed, but you can lay under the dash and manually adjust the stock setup quite easily (aside from being upside down under the dash which is not so easy for someone my age). There is a spring on the smaller gear. You can pry it up and move it however many teeth you want and try it and see what acts like. You can pretty much set the OEM setup however you want. That being said, don't ever put your foot under the clutch pedal and lift it up again or it will reset.
    Last edited by homer302; 10-25-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Perfect thanks a lot I will try tomorrow. I know previous to owners and they were older guys who may have banged a gear from time to time but definitely it beat on it. I have been very calm and been driving it like a baby. Until I can get subframe connectors and torque box stuff I will take it easy.

Wait... did 82 have the adjustable quadrant? I thought they still used the earlier style.... adjustable at the cable end under the car. What year did that change?

Reach up under the dash and give the quadrant a rotation toward you. The springs get weak and they stop auto adjusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    Wait... did 82 have the adjustable quadrant? I thought they still used the earlier style.... adjustable at the cable end under the car. What year did that change?
    82-93 use the Quadrant Set-up. 79-81 cars use the direct pull cable without the Quadrant. You can swap the pedal box from the 82+ cars into the earlier cars if you like. I did exactly that with my 79 PC.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller