Close

Default Contour fan wiring

Hey guys, I’m finally getting around to upgrading to a 3g alternator and doing a e-fan upgrade. I’ve decided on using the contour fans due to being low profile. Anyways, I’m planning on using the Volvo/BMW control setup, since I have scored them already. However I’m a little lost with wiring them up. Ive googled the hell out this and couldn’t find a clear cut answer. I’ve seen writeup with the Volvo controller being used with the Taurus fan but not with the dual Contour ones.

Would I need to wire each lead off the fan to the controller or do I use the resistor that is on the fan and wire that into the controller?

Do I need to use relays with each fan or just on the power wire going from the battery to the controller?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Benny
    -------------------------------
    86' Mustang LX 5.0L Notchback
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

Name:  889CD470-06E9-4CEA-AA3E-75C4AD0B56F0.jpeg
Views: 83
Size:  124.2 KB

hope this helps. The high/low will just be hooked to a fan for high, and a fan for low, I believe. Wire it, and try it. If you don’t add the Bosch relay, your fan will run for a few minutes with the engine off.

I’ll add, I tapped my thermostat housing for my bmw switch. So far, it comes on when it’s supposed to.

I’ve came across this diagram along with another. I guess a question is does both fans work together or one works at low speed and both at high speed? Or vice versus? My understanding is both fans are two speeds, unless I’m wrong.

I assume the Volvo fan controller would take over the existing resistor in the contour fan, correct?

Benny
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

I hope you are talking about using a parts store replacement fan that is FOR a Countour. They quit making them 19 years ago so I don't believe anything that came off a 19 year old car would be considered an improvement on anything, LOL. Anyway, I am not familiar with the wiring for this but I was under the impression that one fan worked most of the time and then under heavy load the second would kick on but I can't say for sure. Good luck with your project!

19years old or not if it still works it would be an improvement over 99% of other electric fans.

My question is I know a lot of people use the dc fan controller cause it has a soft start built in to keep charging system from being slammed with all that amp draw. Does volvo setup do something similar?

Ok, thanks for the replies, plan on using the original harness with an auto parts replacement. Looking through the harness, and a lot of misleading info on the web. Looks like each fan has a positive and a ground. Ground wires are bundled to a single wire. However the positives are all bundled together. With one circuit going to the resistor then from there to a plug and another wire going from the bundle to the same plug.

Looks like both fans run in low and high speed operation with a relay or switch of some sort that either powers through the resistor for one operation and switches to straight power for high operation, sounds correct? Looks like the Volvo 2 speed controller will take over that resistor, correct?

Benny
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300