Close

Default Interior Conversion Problems, help please!!!!

I hate Murpheys Law. It seems that with me especially, if something can go wrong then theres a 99% chance it will.
    I absolutely hate the red interior that my 86 GT came with. I love black interior. My 5.0 has a red exterior and i love the red on black combination. It is my dream to have my red T-Top 5.0 with black interior, but it's just not working. I was going to convert to 90-93 black until I found out 79-83 mustangs have black interior. I found an 82 capri hard top with black rear interior panels, pulled them, and found out the hard way that they wont work. Then I found an early 80's T-Top stang in the bone yard today with black interior. Pulled the rear interior panels. Guess what. The screw holes do not line up, and the panels don't fit right, which is the same thing that happened with the capri panels. All the 79-86 interior looks so similar but yet it's so different. Is there anyway at all I can make these rear interior panels work without it looking like a bad hack job? Will the black 90-93 rear interior panels that go on the sides of the car work on an 86 T-Top hatch? I need to do something here. I'm running out of ideas.
    Anyone want to buy early 80's black mustang interior in good condition?
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    1986 Mustang GT T-Tops - Explorer engine swap, MAF Conversion, 5 lug Cobra Brakes
    2001 True Blue Bullitt
    www.thompsontransmission.com - coming soon
    Fox Body Black Interior Interchangeability Guide

Ummmm May I suggest painting your original rear interior panels? I've heard Great Things about painting dash pads ect. with SEM brand paints! Maybe that would work on your panels? Aaand then you would just have to find door panels and seats?? I dont know much about Interchangablilty and Interiors I'm more a body work type person, but hey if nothing else works it might be worth giving it a shot eh?

Good Luck,

-Calon
    Calon

1985 LX Notchback (Project)
    1995 Mustang GT (In For Color Change)

Yeah, paint your interior panels/dash. Go out and get some black door panels and headliner and seats to finish the job...you may already have those now that you've got so many black parts.

BTW, the Capri and Mustang panels should be identical year for year. It sounds like you got a batch of Mustang and Capri panels that were from the same time period. If anything is going to work, probably only the 83 black would work....but then again you'd have to try it and see.

-Mike