Close



Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    New User
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Farmington, New Mexico
    Posts
    49

    Default 78 or 79 F/Z factory V8 w/std Trans

    I just did search in the forum wanting to find out if they ever factory produced 78 or 79 F/Zs with a V8 and a standard transmission?
    Anybody know for sure?

  2. #2

    Default

    Yes. I have a door tag from a 1979 model.

    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?165450
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

    FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

    Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

  3. #3
    FEP Power Member Fearnot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Concord NC
    Posts
    1,472

    Default

    Yes they built them. We have a member here that owns one right now. Maybe he’ll add some information.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

  4. #4

    Default

    Fairmonts and Zephyrs were available with a 302 and 4 speed in 1979 only.
    Matt
    1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door sleeper. Was a 2.3 4cyl, now with a 302 HO, AOD, and 8.8" axle from a wrecked 89 Mustang. Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 cfm carb, Mac o/r h pipe, Thrush turbo mufflers, 2004 Mustang bucket seats, Grant steering wheel, and 89 Mustang 5.0 front and rear sway bars.

    1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    1986 Mercury Cougar 5.0 (sold), 1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5.0 5 speed (sold)

  5. #5
    FEP Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    212

    Default

    My '79 was a 302 4 speed car originally. Was changed to a 5.0/T-5 before I got it. Now going to a 408W A/T car... I know the sacrilege of swapping a manual to an auto. I'm building a 9 second street/bracket race car though so the automatic is a lot easier on parts and more consistent.

  6. #6
    New User
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Farmington, New Mexico
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Matt View Post
    My '79 was a 302 4 speed car originally. Was changed to a 5.0/T-5 before I got it. Now going to a 408W A/T car... I know the sacrilege of swapping a manual to an auto. I'm building a 9 second street/bracket race car though so the automatic is a lot easier on parts and more consistent.
    I'm having a problem right now with NHRA believing that Ford built 302 Fairmonts with a 4 speed. They have told me I can only run my Stock Eliminator car with an automatic.
    Anyway I can get a photo of your door tag?

  7. #7

    Default

    I would like to see the door tag too. I would like to add it to the database.

    I will post the other door tag that I have.
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

    FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

    Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

  8. #8
    FEP Supporter 4-barrel Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    You need a Marti.

    Mike
    1985 ascMcLaren 5.0 SC Roadster
    My '78 Fairmont build - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...539-78-Big-Red

  9. #9

    Default

    Name:  9E93F131797.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  50.2 KB
    That's the door tag from the link I posted above. I decoded it on page two of that thread.
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

    FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

    Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

  10. #10
    FEP Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadylane View Post
    I'm having a problem right now with NHRA believing that Ford built 302 Fairmonts with a 4 speed. They have told me I can only run my Stock Eliminator car with an automatic.
    Anyway I can get a photo of your door tag?
    Ill try to get by the chassis shop that is building my cage this week and get a pic of it. Few thousand miles away from my car right now. Ill post it up here when I can.

  11. #11
    FEP Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    212

    Default

    How about an interior pic in the meantime?

    Name:  A7A2FB2B-DC82-43C1-AB03-773D1454A33A.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  110.3 KB

  12. #12
    FEP Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Top of this page second column clearly states that the four speed manual trans was available with the V8.

    http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/for...irmont/13.html
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '95 Saturn SW2
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

  13. #13
    FEP Supporter 4-barrel Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    I wonder what Marti would charge for a single researched item such as "Number of Fairmont/Zephyr V8/4-speed vehicles built in 1979"?
    1985 ascMcLaren 5.0 SC Roadster
    My '78 Fairmont build - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...539-78-Big-Red

  14. #14
    New User
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Farmington, New Mexico
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    I wonder what Marti would charge for a single researched item such as "Number of Fairmont/Zephyr V8/4-speed vehicles built in 1979"?
    I looked at Kevin Marti's website, the basic report is $18.00, on up to $275. I have a deluxe report for my 67 Fairlane. They also do research as you suggested but are 3 to 4 months behind. Might be worth the wait though depending on what they charge. I may invest in a basic one for 'proof' as it were.

  15. #15
    New User
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Farmington, New Mexico
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Matt View Post
    How about an interior pic in the meantime?

    Name:  A7A2FB2B-DC82-43C1-AB03-773D1454A33A.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  110.3 KB
    Nice, I'll bet that console is a rare piece.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Top of this page second column clearly states that the four speed manual trans was available with the V8.

    http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/for...irmont/13.html
    Interesting. I find no such claim in the '79 Zephyr brochure. Of course, we know in '80, the Fairmont offered the Turbo, but the Zephyr did not.
    Brad

    '79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI T-5 (Mustang LWB)
    '17 Ford Transit Connect Titanium LWB
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

  17. #17

    Default

    Marti 'standard' report will tell you for sure what the original transmission was. If you order a 'deluxe' report you will get a stat for engine and transmission for that particular body code in the VIN, but there are several body codes with the 5.0L/SROD. If you knew a VIN for each body code that had the F/5 code then it would be less expensive that custom research stats.
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

    FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

    Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

  18. #18
    FEP Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadylane View Post
    Nice, I'll bet that console is a rare piece.
    I think it is exactly the same as a mustang other than the E-brake slot piece.

  19. #19
    FEP Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Posts
    759

    Default

    Kelly, are you running your Fairmont Stocker as a 78 or 79? I am pretty sure the only year a Fairmont was made with a V8 and manual transmission was in 1979. I do remember 2 different 302 4 speed 79 Futuras in my area back in the early 80s. I even test drove one of them in 1983, but ended up not buying it. It was a bench seat car, and the shifter handle was curved and black, and quite a bit longer than a Mustang shifter. All you would really need to change a 78 Fairmont to a 79 is change the clear front park lights to the amber lenses, which are much more common anyhow. Did NHRA tell you that you could not run your car with the 4 speed as a 78 only? I remember a few years ago a couple of guys up here in Div. 6 tried to run their Mustangs and Capris as 82 5.0 2 barrel HOs, but with automatics. They did get away with it for a couple of years before NHRA caught the error, and changed the classification guide. Funny thing is, one guy was claiming his 85 Capri RS as a 82 , complete with sunken tail lights and bubble hatch window. I origonally wanted to build a 302 Fairmont 4 speed for Stock in the late 80s, but at that time NHRA had all the 2 barrel 302 low performance engiens factored to 200 HP. That is the whole reason I built my 85 Mustang instead. The 85 Mustang has a bigger .444" lift (I &E) hyd. roller cam, and the Ford/Holley 4 barrel carb, and was rated at the factory 210 HP when I started my car, then it dropped to 205, and a few years ago, got bumped up to 208HP. Several years ago, NHRA started dropping the 302 2 barrel HP, first to 180, 170, 160, and eventually to the factory ratings of 139/143, depending on year and model. We have a few guys up here running to 302 2 barrel engine combos in various Mavericks, Comets, Mustangs and Capris, that went from being 2 to 3 tenths under index in P and Q, and have been de factored down to T&U, where they routinely qualify at or near the top of the ladder. (As have you, although your car is a much more serious effort than these guys cars). I followed your build on Class Racer, and I really like the job you did on it. So, did NHRA tell you that you need to produce proof about the 4 speed combo before you can run it again? Did they take away your class records away too? Not cool, especially since it was a real combination , at least for 1979.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

  20. #20
    New User
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Farmington, New Mexico
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcfairmont View Post
    Kelly, are you running your Fairmont Stocker as a 78 or 79? I am pretty sure the only year a Fairmont was made with a V8 and manual transmission was in 1979. I do remember 2 different 302 4 speed 79 Futuras in my area back in the early 80s. I even test drove one of them in 1983, but ended up not buying it. It was a bench seat car, and the shifter handle was curved and black, and quite a bit longer than a Mustang shifter. All you would really need to change a 78 Fairmont to a 79 is change the clear front park lights to the amber lenses, which are much more common anyhow. Did NHRA tell you that you could not run your car with the 4 speed as a 78 only? I remember a few years ago a couple of guys up here in Div. 6 tried to run their Mustangs and Capris as 82 5.0 2 barrel HOs, but with automatics. They did get away with it for a couple of years before NHRA caught the error, and changed the classification guide. Funny thing is, one guy was claiming his 85 Capri RS as a 82 , complete with sunken tail lights and bubble hatch window. I origonally wanted to build a 302 Fairmont 4 speed for Stock in the late 80s, but at that time NHRA had all the 2 barrel 302 low performance engiens factored to 200 HP. That is the whole reason I built my 85 Mustang instead. The 85 Mustang has a bigger .444" lift (I &E) hyd. roller cam, and the Ford/Holley 4 barrel carb, and was rated at the factory 210 HP when I started my car, then it dropped to 205, and a few years ago, got bumped up to 208HP. Several years ago, NHRA started dropping the 302 2 barrel HP, first to 180, 170, 160, and eventually to the factory ratings of 139/143, depending on year and model. We have a few guys up here running to 302 2 barrel engine combos in various Mavericks, Comets, Mustangs and Capris, that went from being 2 to 3 tenths under index in P and Q, and have been de factored down to T&U, where they routinely qualify at or near the top of the ladder. (As have you, although your car is a much more serious effort than these guys cars). I followed your build on Class Racer, and I really like the job you did on it. So, did NHRA tell you that you need to produce proof about the 4 speed combo before you can run it again? Did they take away your class records away too? Not cool, especially since it was a real combination , at least for 1979.
    Rory, in the guide there was never a distinction between auto/stick for the 78's so I ran it as a 78, not sure why I just did. I have since converted it to a 79. 79's have 3 less (NHRA) HP than I'm running now so that's good. I'll continue running the 4 speed and build a C4 when I get the time and money. I like running R/S so I don't get HP added, doesn't qualify as well as T/S but protects the combination that way. I need to get about another 60 to 70lbs off the car to be fast in R.
    I may get a Marti report for one of the cars above (with the owners permission) just to have proof.

    Thanks to all who have replied.
    Kelly

  21. #21

    Default

    You don't need permission for Marti reports. But if you want to get permissions that's your choice. Anybody can get one for any VIN.
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

    FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

    Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •