Close

Thread: Fuel Tanks

Default Fuel Tanks

I have an 84 gt with carb and have an 85 gt convt. with csi, is there any difference other that the sending unit hat between the tanks, the 84 has bid dent in it and the 85 is my parts car.

Pretty sure all EFI tanks have an extra hole in the top centre of the tank. You may be able to see it if you look under your 85. Someone else can verify as well...
    05 Corvette Z51

All EFI cars will have a hole for the gas gauge in the middle and a hole for the pump assembly on the right and a hole for a vent line that goes to the carbon can on the right and a hole for a filler-neck gasket on the right.

BTW -- did you know...... you're supposed to replace the filler neck gasket every time you remove the tank??! I had no idea. Parts stores never even used to carry them AFAIK. Mine on my 1986GT is original to the car even though I've done countless fuel pump replacements. I better find a piece of oak to knock on since its never been changed. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    All EFI cars will have a hole for the gas gauge in the middle and a hole for the pump assembly on the right and a hole for a vent line that goes to the carbon can on the right and a hole for a filler-neck gasket on the right.

BTW -- did you know...... you're supposed to replace the filler neck gasket every time you remove the tank??! I had no idea. Parts stores never even used to carry them AFAIK. Mine on my 1986GT is original to the car even though I've done countless fuel pump replacements. I better find a piece of oak to knock on since its never been changed. LOL
    You want to talk about a fun part to replace, LOL. Holy @!@#$. You will swear there is no way that THAT gasket will ever fit in that hole. It seems impossible and it's a very frustrating job. I did not have to disconnect any lines or wiring though. Just the straps and obviously the filler neck. There is plenty of access, it's just getting the @#$ thing into the hole that's so much fun. You get one side in and the other side pops out. It's (new) stiff rubber. Yes, I used silicone and also spray grease. After many words were said, it just fell in place after a while.
    Last edited by homer302; 10-23-2018 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    You want to talk about a fun part to replace, LOL. Holy @!@#$. You will swear there is no way that THAT gasket will ever fit in that hole. It seems impossible and it's a very frustrating job. I did not have to disconnect any lines or wiring though. Just the straps and obviously the filler neck. There is plenty of access, it's just getting the @#$ thing into the hole that's so much fun. You get one side in and the other side pops out. It's (new) stiff rubber. Yes, I used silicone and also spray grease. After many words were said, it just fell in place after a while.
    I've heard they are a royal pain in the butt, and high end grease from a grease gun makes the job go easy.

I've wrestled with my share of gas tanks on four eyed foxes by now. Mostly because of pumps and gas gauges. Glad its never been an arm wrestling match with a new filler neck gasket though!

Another factoid. The 79 to 81-ish filler neck is bigger and the only grommet I could find is the later one. Try jamming the 79 filler into a smaller grommet (insert joke here). I eventually gave up trying all sorts of stretching and swearing. I almost pushed the car off the jack stands. In the end I used a newer filler neck which must have a slightly different shape because it doesn't sit perfectly square in the gas door opening. I actually dont remember the grommet being to difficult, just sprayed her down with some W and shoved it in
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 10-23-2018 at 09:08 PM.

Replaced the Cobra's tank, straps, last August.
    Early style filler neck grommet M-9072-1A from NPD.
    Shop manual said use motor oil for install lube.
    No issues.