Close

Default License Plate Lights

Neither are working on my 85 GT. Fuses look good. I guess I need to check if I'm getting power? Try new bulbs? Anything else obvious I'm missing here?

THANKS!

Check the ground wiring and make sure the wire/screws to the car body aren't crusty.
    These should have power with the parking lights, so if the parking lights come on, you know the rest of the circuit is good.
    Start at the socket and make sure it's clean and not corroded, then follow the wires to ground. Make sure those are clean and tight; use a little sandpaper to get bare metal and a little dielectric (bulb) grease to prevent future corrosion.
    Then, go back to the socket and follow the power wires back to the main harness. They'll eventually either reach a splice where they tie to the parking lights, or a plug; I'm not sure on your car. If it's a plug/socket, make sure they're clean and tight.
    If it's a splice, you'll want to have a meter, a soldering iron, and feel comfortable digging into the harness. But at that point, I'd check the socket with the meter to make sure there is or isn't power before digging any deeper.
    I'd put even money on corroded socket or corroded ground connection; then less likely plug/socket; then much less likely bad bulbs (they can fail and still look good); then splice/internal wiring issues, in order of likelihood.