Close

Default Anyone who's removed the foam sheets behind the large interior panels

Hey everyone,

I have my interior apart for various upgrades and this included removing the large rear hatch/C-Pillar interior panels. As anyone who has removed these has seen, there's thick foam matting that is shaped to that whole area and runs under the entire area of those panels.

Has anyone removed this matting during interior work? I'm having trouble determining if it only serves the purpose of sound insulation, or if it is also put in place to help with potential rattles from these large panels. I have a car audio background and I will be placing thick butyl based sound deadening in key spots around the interior. Since this isn't a daily driver, I'm not terribly concerned with making the interior sound proof beyond that.

My main question is if anyone has found those panels to rattle or anything to a higher degree once that foam was removed. I searched about every way I could think of but couldn't find this exact concern mentioned anywhere.

Thank you!

Tony

The early cars had the jute padding roughly shaped to the quarter panel areas, the later models have a plastic sheet that is shaped to the area and the jute padding is stapled and glued to the plastic. These are sound deadening or sound absorption pads to try and quiet the noise coming from the rear wheels and the back of the car. Obviously there are much better products today and much better applications than the almost 40 year old technology.

The plastic quarter panels screw directly into the interior sheet metal, so the padding you are asking about doesn't really stop possible squeaks and rattles for the most part. Yes, I can see them possibly reducing some rattles and squeaks, but not entirely just because of how the cars are built. I installed both mats and the spray on sound deadening into Erratic 50's Saleen clone, but plan on installing the original jute insulation when the interior is re-installed. Yes, it adds a little weight, but any extra sound deadening is always helpful. If you have the plastic shields you could always remove the original jute and add new Butyl mats and get an even better option, but that is up to you. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks so much for the reply. That's exactly what I suspected/needed to know. Mine does indeed have the jute padding stapled to the plastic molded sheet, so that gives me some extra options. It sounds like I should definitely work to preserve the padding if I remove it. It's easy to sit say I'll be fine without it until I'm driving and dealing with the noise. Also sir I must say, you have a properly impressive stable of cars there, I really appreciate your insight on my post!