Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The rust appears to be surface only. I would wire brush it and then coat it with either Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, POR 15, or your preferred product. The heat from the muffler can cause condensation that can lead to rust like that. Shouldn't be too bad. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I agree — no big deal.

In my younger years a reply might have been .... (Sarcasm included) Oh no, better get the muffler out of there. Let’s hear it for straight pipes!

All jokes aside they do sound awesome with no muffler and a turndown..... some prefer to add headers for added sound intensity even. But I’d never do it to a street driven car.

Me personally, I prefer 86-93 style duals with a free flowing set of shortie headers, H pipe with cats, and some nice turbo mufflers like Dynomax or Magniflow.

The thing you will want to watch is CA emissions requirements for your car. That will dictate what you can do most likely.

Being SO preserves you’ll hurt the value if you make any changes that can’t be undone easily to return to factory. Save the pieces....

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    VIN
    9 = 1979 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly
    04 = Mustang Ghia 2-door sedan (coupe)
    F = 5.0L V8 engine
    172278 = 72,278th 1979 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly

Door Tag
    Date - 11-78 = November 1978 build
    GVWR - 3910 lb/1773 kg = gross vehicle weight rating
    Front GAWR - 2111 lb/957 kg = front gross axle weight rating
    Rear GAWR - 1819 lb/825 kg = rear gross axle weight rating
    F0000 = 0 lbs front accessory reserve load
    R0038 = 38 lbs rear accessory reserve load
    Exterior Paint Colors - 2P = Bright Red
    DSO - 15 = New York district sals office
    Body - 66H = Mustang Ghia 2-door sedan (coupe)
    VR - [blank] = no vinyl roof
    Mldg - 10E = Black bodyside molding with Argent inset stripes
    Int Trim - SN = vinyl seating, low-back front buckets (S), White with Medium Red interior colors (N)
    A/C - A = air conditioner
    R - 4 = AM/FM stereo radio
    S - C = sunroof
    Ax - Y = 3.08:1 axle ratio, non-locking differential
    Tr - 5 = manual overdrive (Tremec 4-speed 'SROD') transmission
    MM = front spring codes
    MM = rear spring codes

Buck Tag
    MUSTANG = Mustang model line
    172278 = 72,278th 1979 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    66H = Mustang Ghia 2-dr sedan (coupe)
    F = 5.0L V8 engine
    MR = moonroof (sunroof)
    137_ = body & paint rotations #137_
    2P = Bright Red exterior paint color
    W = White interior trim color
    ST
    M
    AC = manual air conditioner
    HB = heated backlite (rear defrost)
    DRM = dual remote mirrors
    COM
    MOD = manual overdrive transmission (Tremec 4-speed 'SROD')
    1 = no hood scoop
    V = visibility (light/convenience group)
    Hey FoxChassis - Thanks for breaking the tags down for me. I am super curious how many other cars were made with these same options. I need to get a Marti

Default 1979 Ghia Coupe Build Thread

Duplicate
    Last edited by saleen428; 01-04-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The rust appears to be surface only. I would wire brush it and then coat it with either Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, POR 15, or your preferred product. The heat from the muffler can cause condensation that can lead to rust like that. Shouldn't be too bad. Good Luck!
    I will do just that when I redo the exhaust. I am not going to worry about it now as our climate is mild here; no snow just cold rains for the winter

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    I agree — no big deal.

In my younger years a reply might have been .... (Sarcasm included) Oh no, better get the muffler out of there. Let’s hear it for straight pipes!

All jokes aside they do sound awesome with no muffler and a turndown..... some prefer to add headers for added sound intensity even. But I’d never do it to a street driven car.

Me personally, I prefer 86-93 style duals with a free flowing set of shortie headers, H pipe with cats, and some nice turbo mufflers like Dynomax or Magniflow.

The thing you will want to watch is CA emissions requirements for your car. That will dictate what you can do most likely.

Being SO preserves you’ll hurt the value if you make any changes that can’t be undone easily to return to factory. Save the pieces....
    Used a take-off late model Expedition resonator for the muffler. These are small bodied straight through design great for low cost, stainless construction performance. Accent is on low cost as this is temporary however it has a great deep tone. I have gone this same route on a prior car so knew going in that this is about the best sound and performance at THE lowest cost lol. I will post a sound clip this weekend.

All updates to the car will be reversible and all parts kept excluding the muffler in this case. It was rotten inside with good sized hole on the belly

New User

Any pics of the full car with the new wheels? Btw, what a sweet Looking car!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyj View Post
    Any pics of the full car with the new wheels? Btw, what a sweet Looking car!
    I don’t have any good pics with the wheels on but will take some when we get a break in the rain. Thanks for the compliment

Sorry guys haven’t posted in a while. Here’s some updates pics of the Ghia coupe.

Looks fantastic!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Very sharp. Who did the center caps for you? I have those wheels on my 87 Tbird & have always wanted caps with the Bird emblem.
    Ray

FEP Senior Member

I think I've seen this car on Instagram?