Close

Angry Here We Go Again: 4-Door Mustang "Confirmed"

I was reading an article about the latest insane Mustang variant (factory estimates put horsepower ratings at "about a zillion") I'll never be able to afford and I found this interesting footnote.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-mu...ks-reports-say

"a four-door version of the Mustang has been confirmed for the next generation, which is expected in 2022, and that it will be powered by a twin-turbocharged V8 and positioned as a competitor to the Porsche Panamera and Audi A7"

This raises many questions. Will this car actually be a Mustang? That, of course, would be blasphemy. But as we know, to the current Ford management, not a damn thing is sacred. And didn't these same idiots just get done telling us how people don't want sedans anymore?

On a side note, i still see ads for the Fusion which make me laugh because Ford themselves apparently have zero faith in the product, but they're still trying to tell us why we should want one. I'm not saying the Fusion isn't a good car, obviously I believe that it is, just that Ford is talking out of both sides of their ass here.

Back to the subject at hand. If this new 4-door will not be a Mustang but have another name, hell yes I'm on board, but their stated competitors have me thinking it will be crazy expensive. Will it be a Lincoln? Will the whole Mustang line be moved even further upmarket completely out of the reach of the people who made it iconic in the first place? This would not make me happy.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

All I can say is.....

When Ford stopped making the "sort of, kinda" affordable V6 Mustang is when I've lost interest in the current Mustang. Make it a 4-door, I don't care.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Agreed.
    There has been and are some nice fresh look new cars. The ones that may head turn and ok to look at.
    The only real 'four door Mustang' was the LTD LX. 2000's LTD LX Sport and Marauder somewhat.

How many vehicles in morning traffic jams need 4 doors? And small ones at that.
    Have parking spaces really shrunk and big doors don't fit? Not really.
    2 door. Then 3 doors. 4, 5, 6, 7. Add content? Make the 'bag' bigger and bigger. And heavier. Add hp muscles.
    Scared of old mass production numbers due to possible huge recall cost of current complex content?

The Global (ist) mentality. Try to please the world with/by few (models). None fit like they used to.
    A Ford, GM, FCA, will never be an Audi or whatever no matter how much tech is used.
    Why even bother? Each company copied hints, plus had corporate uniqueness. That has faded. Lost art.
    Test is should be able to sit in any year domestic car and tell what brand it is easily.
    Why have they trended toward hidden brand id? Afraid of non-conforming design?
    Like other products, change the name, almost or same product, jack up price because of name. Like iced coffee.

Marketing, and even the bean counters, have been out to lunch. Maybe with too many cocktails or lattes.
    "Can fool some all the time... (unconfirmed, Abraham Lincoln). Or is that a lost quote?
    New affordable cars/trucks are gone. Leasing don't count.
    Now will these be Transformers cars? Push a button...
    Why put a Toyota grill on a GT 500? No cameras allowed in preview show? Can see why. I'd hide it too.
    Oh but it will have 800hp.....10 years-replacement parts will be unobtainable.
    Wasting more corporate time, resources to produce more factory built undrivable collector cars.
    Was done in the past. Now can do better. But why?

Making a soup, with everything possible in it, winds up brown with bad and no taste.
    Just like food in a fancy restaurant. Big plate little decorated chunk of some strange food.
    Auto companies now cater to upscale because the now huge MSRP, repair/maint cost, is out of range from ave. buyer.
    US govt piles on. Runs 'clunker program' to get rid of used, force purchase of new.

Plain inexpensive rice (not ricer), meat, vegetable, spiced, meals are eaten by everyone in the world.
    Why not make more cars like that? Not allowed?
    Why are so many things 'sport' related? Non sporty means old, slow?

They must watch the auctions and see what people are willing to pay for the classics and figure those are the same people who want to buy a new one.

That, or they are still banking BIGTIME on the current lending market staying the same. 8 year loan, no problem! If you are a traditional Ford brand customer, we've don't really want to sell you car (excuse me, CROSSOVER), unless you want to go ludicrously into debt.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

The reward for employees and management who do not give a crap is past customers who don’t care to show up.

Businesses seem to have lost track of how to build up great workers who do great things. You reap what you sew and it’s not business reaps employees sew. We reap, we sew. So the businesses thinks they can be a taker. Well, guess what..... They sure do have people there to collect a pay check down pat.

I went through a drive thru to get food the other day when I was in a hurry. I got up to the window and all the staff inside except one were too busy staring at their phones to be troubled with making food.

no big deal except there was an ever-growing line of cars and the one person who was working looked up, punched out, and left.

After 10 minutes of that I knocked on the window repeatedly until someone came over - still phone in hand not paying an ounce of attention. I very firmly asked if they were planning on that phone in their hand making the food or if customers are supposed to come do it themselves.

So then they acted all mad— how dare I.

They put their phone down on the line and made my order entirely wrong. Gross. phones only carry more filth and germs than a toilet seat in a public restroom in a busy airport ..... are you kidding me, wash your hands fool!

Then they didn’t even look up to hand it out the window, hit the glass since my window stays shut until a person in the drive thru makes eye contact..... and dropped my food on the ground.

rest of it is more of the same.

And when the health inspector got called and they got shutdown due to customer complaints and visual inspection — guess who’s fault everyone who “works” there thought it was? How dare someone put them in a situation where they must do their job within the constraints of permitted quality standards. Act professional. Be professional.

This is the attitude and the engagement most everyone is dealing with right now.

And when things cost more as a result, by all means pass the cost on to the consumer and accelerate limits to consumer choices.

But just to be clear, the day businesses switched from being a career to using people, they started it.

there was discussion about a 4 door Mustang decades ago. They tested the market and gathered customer feedback then wrote it off as a terrible idea.
    Last edited by erratic50; 10-22-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Its not really a Mustang, rather Mustang inspired. Its the Mach 1/ Model E electric crossover they have been talking about the past year or so. It is going to have Mustang styling cues such as tri-bar tail light, hips on the rear quarters, and similar grill and headlight treatment. Think of this as a competitor for Tesla, a cross between the Model X and the Model S.

Its been reported that the Mach 1 name will not be used for production. Ford ownership of the Model E trademark is why Tesla did use Model E for the Model 3.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marty View Post
    Its not really a Mustang, rather Mustang inspired. Its the Mach 1/ Model E electric crossover they have been talking about the past year or so. It is going to have Mustang styling cues such as tri-bar tail light, hips on the rear quarters, and similar grill and headlight treatment. Think of this as a competitor for Tesla, a cross between the Model X and the Model S.

Its been reported that the Mach 1 name will not be used for production. Ford ownership of the Model E trademark is why Tesla did use Model E for the Model 3.
    Maybe. They did say though in the article that it will have a twin turbo V8. That doesn't really jive with being an electric vehicle. Unless they're trying to make it a supercar, I guess.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Okay, C&D says the CUV and sedan are distinct.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/fo...KfvzeFUwBqDMZA

The rendering is cool enough, but like I said. A V8 RWD 4-door would be fantastic. AS LONG AS IT'S NOT A MUSTANG. I have every confidence though Ford will ignore the outcry and do what ever they feel like. Anything goes these days over there.

Plus, if it's NOT a Lincoln, that would be a HUGE missed opportunity for that brand. Especially if it is an upmarket offering, as things seem to indicate it will be.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    A V8 RWD 4-door would be fantastic. AS LONG AS IT'S NOT A MUSTANG.
    But, it's still "a coupe". ;-)

What, you (and the rest of the world that doesn't have it's head up it's *ss) don't think that a 4-door can be a coupe?
    Silly, silly people. ;-)

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/futur...T_4_Door_Coupe
    But what sets the 4-door GT Coupe apart

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/20...to-630-hp-news
    Its official name, the Mercedes-AMG GT 4-Door coupe, may be something of an anticlimax, but there’s plenty to get excited about here.

Btw, I have a bunch of million dollar bills of US legal tender money that I'll sell to anyone for only $100! The bill even has a picture of bigfoot on it. Yea, the bill has "Not US legal tender" written on it. BFD!
    Their view (and the rest of the world that doesn't have it's head up it's *ss) and my view of what "US legal Tender" means are different.
    Last edited by stangPlus2Birds; 11-11-2018 at 01:09 PM.

What's really funny to me, it's not jist ford giving up on cars.

I've had three or four parts failures on my car and had to order parts that took over a week to make my car driveable again, and I still have a ton more work to do.

I decided u was gonna get a fiesta as a daily driver. My dad bought a 2011 and my sister drives it. Hasn't done a damn thing to it, she hasn't even changed the oil on it. Its been a pretty good car.

So just for fun I started looking at prices. My local dealership has 2016's still brand new on the lot for less then $10k. You can look at production numbers, in the US, they went from selling over 150k per year to less then 30k.

I mean the fiesta really isnt my favoritr car, but they just aren't selling at all.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Well, perhaps it has something to do with the fact that they've barely changed the Fiesta AT ALL since 2011? That's too long in this market. Ford loves to shoot themselves in the foot this way. Look at the previous gen Focus. In 2000, it was a great car. Not so much by 2011. The new Fiesta has been out in Europe for a couple of years now, but they with-hold it from us. They're back in the same pattern of wanting cars to fail so they can steer car customers into trucks.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well all I can say is that FORD is really F-ing this up..... If you cant build a better (4door sedan) you dont put your tail between your legs and hide.... you build a better car maybe they are for the rest of the world but here. So you build only trucks, SUV's and as soon as the price of gas goes up people stop buying them, but the main thing is that they dont follow the EPA's fuel efficiency standards so there's more profit. So who thinks that ford will put anymore money into the mustangs future? and in a few years the pony is dead.
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

What's going on with Ford as the pride in their products. It used to be that everyone was proud of what they drove. Now it's all about profits and fuel economy. They're not selling enough cars to offset the trucks and the trucks have a lot larger profit margin. They're going after the money instead of what their customers want.

You can tell this is the case by all the luxury cars disappearing. Even if the Crown Vic was dead they should still have a Town Car equivalent. There are people out there that are proud of the fact that the only car they've ever owned was in town car. It used to be forward made a car for every person now they're just going after money.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Profits, fuel econ, horsepower. Global platforms. Less parts to stock and train techs for. US Govt dictates config.
    Higher resale, utility, interior roominess, and longevity could be one reason trucks sell best. Surely not MSRP.
    Buyer has a better chance of having something left after 5+ years.
    Still big money maintenance after 100,000 miles.
    Expensive tires, parts in general. Diesel: DEF, emissions maintenance items, higher fuel costs.

OK, let me see if I have this straight . . . .

You are dropping all of your sedans and non SUV or Truck lines because NO ONE wants them and you make more $$ on SUV and Truck models.

BUT HEY! Let's make a 4 Door Mustang because apparently we (Ford) think we can build a sedan that the upscale market buyers will want.

WTF!!?? My personal opinion at this point is that if there is any truth to these rumors those in charge at Ford need a swift kick in the a$$ and a smack upside the back of their head. If you can't build a sedan that the average buyer wants to buy (again maybe you should update them more often than every 6 years) what makes you think you have the skills/knowledge/ability to build a sedan that the upscale buyers such as BMW/Mercedes/Lexus/Infinity/Jaguar/Audi/etc. want to buy!?
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

They're not just screwing up a model here... they're permanently ruining an icon. I highly doubt I would be in the market for an overpriced luxury sports car, which the later models seem to be going to. So it won't affect me at all. But it's financial suicide for them to sell out the iconic pony car like this.