Close

Default Black Rocker panels

Mick, can you tell me what years and models had the black/charcoal rocker panel and fender at the bottom? I know for sure the 1983-84 GT 5.0 and Turbo did. I also believe the SVO had them the whole run but maybe it turned charcoal in 1985. I don't know about any of the 85-86 GT or base cars or previous years etc. I believe it was definitely REQUIRED on 83-84 GT and SVO for every year. Was it an option?

Thanks!

I'll get you a list later.

1982-84 GT were actually painted black, and of those three years 1983 was the only year that had a code on the buck tag for it (code "BR" for black rocker). It was standard on the GT, not optional.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

84 SVOs had black trim and rocker trim. 85 and 86 had grey trim. But no different color paint on the lower body panels at least on the SVOs. On the other cars the lower painted panels was an option. Saleen asked that any car being sent to them did not have it.

Sorry Mike, I kinda threw my $.02 in.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Black rocker panel molding was standard on/included with:

1979-82 any Mustang with optional black lower tu-tone paint, except Mustang GT/Turbo GT
    1979-80 Mustang 2-door sedan with Exterior Accent Group
    1979-81 Mustang 2-door sedan with Sport Option
    1979-81 Mustang 3-door sedan, except Pace Car and Cobra
    1982-83 Mustang GL
    1983-84 Mustang GT/Turbo GT (painted rocker panels, not molding)
    1984 Mustang LX 3-door sedan
    1984 Mustang SVO

Black rocker panel molding was optional on:
    1979-83 Capri RS/Turbo RS with or without black lower tu-tone paint
    1979-83 Capri Ghia/L/GS with black lower tu-tone paint

Dark Charcoal rocker panel molding was standard on:
    1985-86 Mustang SVO
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 10-20-2018 at 07:11 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thank you so much. So I guess it never was an actual "option" that you could add. It was "included" with certain packages. Great information. It's interesting that '83 was the only year it was on the buck tag. I wonder what procedure was used to track the cars coming into paint as far as which ones were supposed to get a black rocker and which ones weren't without that?
    Last edited by homer302; 10-20-2018 at 06:51 PM.

No, you could add rocker panel moldings as an option on the Capri RS/Turbo RS with or without black lower tu-tone paint, or the Ghia, L, or GS with black lower tu-tone paint. Black rocker panel moldings ranged from a $24 option in 1979 to a $39 option in 1983.

Perhaps in 1984 the "GT" or "TGT" code on the buck tag served as enough of an indication that the car was also supposed to get black rocker panels? I'm not sure if the black rocker panel was done on the body & paint line or the trim & chassis line. There was a code on the build sheet to indication black rocker panel, if it were done on the T&C line.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 10-20-2018 at 07:24 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

There were also "bright" rocker panel moldings on some Capri and Mustang models from 1979 through 1984. As with the black rocker panels moldings the bright moldings were standard or optional in different cases.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

That's great information. My 83 GT had painted rocker panels and my 83 GL has the rocker panel moldings (black)
    1980 Capri RS
    1986 Mustang GT
    1991 Mustang GT

Yep. Mick is a wealth of information. My original intent was specifically asking about the painted black lower rockers that the 83-84 GTs (and who knows what else) have but Mick gave us tons more information as always. Good stuff indeed!
    Last edited by homer302; 02-17-2019 at 03:34 PM.

Happy to share
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder