Close

Default Back in a Four Eye Fox Body again! My 1982 Mustang GT Project

Hey all,
    Thought I’d reintroduce myself. I’ve been a member on here for probably 15-20 years and have had a few four eye fox bodies and aero nose cars. Even had an 06 GT and currently my daily driver is a clean zinc yellow 02 GT 5 speed. I haven’t had a fox body in about 8 years but all that changed last Tuesday when I finally got my hands on a 1982 Mustang GT. This or a 79-81 Cobra has been a bucket list car for me for some time.
    So it’s a 1982 Mustang GT 4-speed. Someone swapped in a bunch of 85 GT interior parts but the interior overall is complete and not in bad shape. The engine I believe is still the stock 302 but has an Edelbrock Performer intake and 4bbl carb which I believe may be a 750 cfm which is too much for the car. Polished stainless shorty headers were also added on along with dual exhaust. I’m not sure what the previous owner’s vision was for the tail pipes but that will be the first thing I replace with LX tail pipes. I’m in Arizona so of course it’s a solid rust-free car. Engine runs very well aside from running a bit rich. Trans shifts as good as an SROD 4-speed could. Rear is quiet with no issues. Pony wheels came with it along with a spare hatch with the correct 3-piece rear spoiler which I’ll put back on. The accessories on the front of the engine all look to be new or recently replaced. AC blows ice cold. All missing trim and mirrors were included and in the rear hatch. Also some new front parking lenses included. All in all it’s a fantastic project car that I was able to pick up 8 minutes from my house for $2200!
    If you’re only into restoring these cars and don’t like to see them modified then you’ll not want to follow my build posts. I will do the 82 GT car some justice but it’s getting heavily modified. Stock body work to remain but with some newly designed aero “enhancements” will be added. Staggered 17-18 inch wheels and tires, big brakes, suspension, mild 400 hp ITB stack injected 302 backed by a 5 speed are in the plans initially. Think Boss 302-inspired.
    Those that don’t remember me or know me on here – I’ve created a lot of fox body concept renderings for Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords as well as the design for the 1981 Cobra that Detroit Muscle is building. I produced a half a dozen or so fox body tech articles for MM&FF as well from photography and writing the article to handling the installation on some.
    I’ve also stayed in touch with Skye C. from this site and hoping to reconnect. I’d love to contribute to this site with my artistic and design skills.
    Some of you also collect the GMP 1:18 Diecast Mustangs. I worked full-time for GMP for over 6 years and all of those fox body diecast that they’ve produced came from a lot of my hard work. I developed those programs from the photoshoot to prototype development to production as well as developing all the custom and drag versions.
    It's good to officially be a part of the four eyed pride community and be back into fox bodies again. I’m also thankful for a very understanding wife LOL.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by JohnnyGMachine; 10-19-2018 at 04:01 PM.
    John McBride

Midnite Octane - "Fuel Your Imagination!"
    www.midniteoctane.com

Couple More Pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    John McBride

www.midniteoctane.com

Nice GT.

Concept artist? Have you developed something for this build? If so, show us your ideas. I’d love to see it.

Love it!

Mike

Great Addition to your Stable!

Looks like a great starting point for a cool Four Eye! Appears we may have similar taste in Foxes and modifications!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Great Addition to your Stable!

Looks like a great starting point for a cool Four Eye! Appears we may have similar taste in Foxes and modifications!
    Hey Trey, thanks. Yes we probably do!
    John McBride

www.midniteoctane.com

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Nice GT.

Concept artist? Have you developed something for this build? If so, show us your ideas. I’d love to see it.
    Hey Dave, yes if you check out my website link www.midniteoctane.com you can see some of my work. I'm neck deep in a project right now but when I wrap it up I'll be starting the design work on my 82 GT.
    John McBride

www.midniteoctane.com

Just pulled the Edelbrock 750 carb off and swapped on a rebuilt Holley 600cfm I picked up at a swap meet for $80! At first I was skeptical but I got it on and it runs great. It's not running so rich now. I gotta adjust the electric choke or just eliminate it all together. Don't need a choke here in Mesa AZ. One step closer to driving it and enjoying it until it's time to tear it all apart for the build.
    John McBride

www.midniteoctane.com

Welcome back! awesome

Looks like it's in GREAT shape. Congratulations on your purchase! FYI, that car might not NEED a 750 but a properly tuned 750 carb would run perfectly fine on it and likely make more power than a 600. That is a huge myth that somehow continues to exist, I'm not sure how. Although it could certainly be true, simply installing a 600 does not necessarily mean that it is running any less "rich" in and of itself. The key takeaway in all of that is "properly tuned"
    Glad you are back in the game. Sounds like you are going to get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Keep us updated on your progress!
    Last edited by homer302; 10-22-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Looks like it's in GREAT shape. Congratulations on your purchase! FYI, that car might not NEED a 750 but a properly tuned 750 carb would run perfectly fine on it and likely make more power than a 600. That is a huge myth that somehow continues to exist, I'm not sure how. Although it could certainly be true, simply installing a 600 does not necessarily mean that it is running any less "rich" in and of itself. The key takeaway in all of that is "properly tuned"
    Glad you are back in the game. Sounds like you are going to get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Keep us updated on your progress!
    Thanks for the advice.
    1 - It did in fact run fine as long as you didn't put the accelerator to the floor. If you did that you were met with a bog/hesitation.
    2 - I'm also NOT a fan of Edelbrock carbs - they're glorified Carters and a paint to tune.
    The car was running rich enough to develop some black smoke from the tail pipes. After installing the 600 it actually just about cleared up and seemed to be running cleaner. I haven't driven it yet as the choke still isn't adjusted right so it's not kicking down. It was also getting late. I'm no carb expert but after talking with 2-3 of my buddies who have run carbs for years and built carbureted performance engines - they advised it was too much carb and I would most likely not be able to jet it down enough. I'm going ITB stack injected eventually anyways and building a roller motor for this car anyways.
    John McBride

www.midniteoctane.com

FEP Senior Member

I love your die cast work and wondered who contributed to the Detroit muscle show. Now that I know, I’ll be watching this build closely.

Patrick

Already missing this car but sure I will be helping in the new creation

Congrats to you on the new Fox. She’s a beauty. I am following for sure. I, too , just got back into a Fox and my first four eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk