Close

Default MAF SEFI conversion question

Going to start the process of converting my LTD to efi and going mass air. Just have a few questions about some of the parts I have and their compatibility.

To start I have an 8LD computer, which if I understand is an 88 Cali manual computer.
    For my harness I purchased a maf converted 86 mustang harness from a member here.
    Picked up a C&L 73mm with sensor for 19lbs
    Explorer intake/tb/injectors

Now my question is if I run with this combination will it fry the computer on start up?

I thought I read somewhere that the 86 harness routes the o2 sensors differently than the aero cars, therefore not making a difference in what computer is used. Will I be okay running this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

I simply added a MAF plug to my 86, I also added a VSS sensor, if you have cruise you'll need it. Due to the pin changes, I would NOT use the SD computer once repinned. It will not hurt the ECU if you just want to move the car around, but it will not run well. I've done all that before, these are facts.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

The 8LD computer comes up as a mass air, 5 spd with one of the A9 strategies

1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Must be California 88 then. No worries at all
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

The issue with the O2 harness is normally when you swap them from a factory auto or manual harness. The manual harness grounds the signal return through the clutch safety switch, the auto O2 harness through the NSS. So as long as the factory O2 harness matches the body harness, no worries there.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    The issue with the O2 harness is normally when you swap them from a factory auto or manual harness. The manual harness grounds the signal return through the clutch safety switch, the auto O2 harness through the NSS. So as long as the factory O2 harness matches the body harness, no worries there.
    I thought the 86 cars ran the o2s the same be it auto or manual, or at least that’s what I e found from reading the more in depth posts on this site

^ Honestly I've mostly deal with the aero cars. Point being, if you have not changed the O2 harness from the factory body harness, it doesn't matter anyway.. No worries 86-93.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Should probably update this thread for anyone that may be in need of the information.

I made the attempt of using all factory Ford parts to have a running and driving car. Turns out there was a hidden electrical gremlin that I chased for nearly 8 months. Car passed all checks using the EVTMs and shop manuals, but still no spark or injectors firing.

About this time Holley came out with the Fox specific Terminator X that I ended up ordering. Spent a couple weekends routing wires and double checking everything. Car fired up on the first turn of the key and I haven’t looked back. Got to drive it around quite a bit this summer, and it’s a real runner even with a 1983 spec AOD. So much so that I burned up the clutches for 2nd gear so I’m currently working on swapping in a 4r70w.